Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #1

SUN #6830
Dmar is an unknown quantity at this point
Loose roof membrane

We were looking at a 2006 T264 yesterday with hopes of becoming a Sunline owner, but backed away temporarily after finding some possible issues with the roof. I have never seen the roof of another Sunline, but all the other camper roofs I've seen had the rubber membrane stretched tight and glued firmly to the roof surface. This one was loose everywhere I touched it except around the edges (from a step ladder, I didn't climb on the roof). I didn't see any tears, but it looks to be loose across the entire roof. It seemed to have anywhere from a 1/4" to 1/2" of play before it hit a hard surface. My assumption is that the rubber has come loose from whatever its supposed to be glued to, but I'm not sure. Can someone advise as to whether this is normal and, if not, how serious it is? Thanks, Don

Old 10-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the forum Dmar,

I understand the Sunline roof is a bit different although the only trailer I have ever owned is my current T2363. The Sunline roof consists of wood cross members spaced about 16 inches apart. On that is something similar to cardboard. The rubber roof is stretched over that. It does have some "give" but should be firm on top of the wood frame pieces that go side to side, between them it will bounce. The edges, as you have found, should be solid.

The important thing to look for is evidence of water leaking in from the roof.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Don,

What you are describing "may" be normal for a Sunline roof. Let me explain and then you can look for this.

This post will help show what I am describing.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ture-8925.html

As a weight savings measure, Sunline bonded the rubber membrane to a thick fiber board they called "bud board". It is not cardboard like a fluted corrugate packing box, it is dense, solid compressed fiber board. Sort of like a cereal box but 4 times thicker.

They then drape this over the rafters. It gives enough structure to carry a snow load and hold the rubber. It is "not" a walk on roof!!! To walk on the roof you need to place a tarp on the roof to not damage the rubber and use 3/8 to 5/8 plywood pieces about 2 x 4' spanned across the rafters.

The rafters are on 16" centers and if you press down, it will stiffen up at the rafter, (about 3" wide) then the span between the rafters it can sag
a little and sort of bounce like a loose drum.

While this is not a walk on roof, it works and as long as there is no leaks, it has not been a major issue. If you do get a leak, and any leak is bad..., then it can wick water across the fiber. Again a leak is going to get the insulation wet regardless of the bud board and wet is bad news on any camper.

This is how I service my roof and AC unit.

Sunline did make walk on roofs as an option. Some folks have them but they are not the norm. If what I describe sounds like what you are seeing/feeling, then that is a Sunline normal thing. While I would of liked to have a walk on roof, now knowing about how they are built, I myself woudl not hesitate on buying one with this roof structure if the rest of the camper is in good shape. The T-264 SR is a very popular model, nice camper.

I would however be purely anal about a 120% leak check all over. This is not the fault so much of the camper, but the prior owner understanding the need to stay on top of the roof caulk and any penetration into the siding where water can get in.

Hope this helps and good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #4

SUN #6830
Dmar is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Gene and John. Thanks for the good explanations and pics. That seems to be what is on the trailer we looked at so it's apparently original and probably not damaged. Otherwise it's beautiful and we're going to rethink our decision to walk away from it.
Regards, Don