Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #1

SUN #880
ronnyr
looking at buying sunline 1999 2353

Hi, I am looking at buying a 2353 for $4999. I am not real good at inspections because of my health and age, and there are some issues I am concerned about. The floor in front of the toilet seems warped and maybe even soft. The membrane underneath is black plastic and has come undone along the edges in front, and hangs a little all over. Should I be concerned, or should I keep looking for another trailer. I really love the sunlines. I like the layout of this one because it offers the most space for the two of us and our dog without having a slide. I currently have an old, probably vintage now, trailer that is 18 foot. I was looking for somethng bigger to make a long trip this summer. Any input would be helpful. I have looked at about four sunlines so far this year, and each has its own issues. This happened to be one I could afford. I have been unemployed for some time due to my health, andmight even start traveling in it to look for work. Thank you

Old 06-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #2

SUN #149
nasa42a
ronnyr.......

In the situation in which you find yourself, the 2353 you describe might prove to be a great liability.

Although you say you're not great at inspections, you have spotted some potentially major shortcomings. If you aren't in a position to spend the time and (and perhaps significant) money to resolve those issues before you must begin to use the trailer, it could become a much greater drag on your plans than continuing to use your smaller old 18-foot model, if that one is relatively sound.

Sorry.... I really don't want to be a killjoy.

Frank

nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #3

SUN #880
ronnyr
thank you for your reply. I really your opinion here. I really love this trailer, and I do have a lot of time right now, so what would I be looking at as far as repairs? What would be worst case scenario? There was no evidence of leaking along the walls or ceiling that I could find, and the roof seemed sound. Do you think it is a fair price? When you say it might be a liability, are you saying it would not make the trip? My 18 foot had a soft floor around the door and in the bathroom when I bought it, but we fixed that. I just don't know if I can do another one . . .
The other one I looked at recently, the owner was asking $7,000 and it had a leak in the corner, and the roof had some ripples at the front of the unit. I really want to buy a sunline around 25 feet, but I don't want to throw my money away either. Have any thoughts? I would appreciate any input.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #4

SUN #149
nasa42a
Sunlines are basically very well built (a few issues on 06 & 07 2499s, though), and can usually be repaired. But that takes time and materials. But perhaps I overinterpreted your first post.
You had talked of wanting to make a long trip this summer. If the trip isn't on a rigid schedule (RV repairs always take more time than we estimate), and you have the time, skills, tools, and can get the materials..... You can probably make it work. Just make sure that your tow vehicle has the capacity for the weight of the new trailer.

Frank
nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #5

SUN #880
ronnyr
thank you for your input Frank. I know this one has some issues, but if I had the money I would buy one that is in better condition. I was particularly drawn to the layout of this sunline and the amount of storage space! Most I have looked at, and I have looked at literally hundreds over the past few years, do not have as much to offer. In my little 18 foot, I am always looking for more space to put things like my laptop, a grill or extra clothing for colder weather. And because it is an older model, the microwave is not mounted. I could mount it in one of the cabinets, but then I have to give up cabinet space. The refrigerator is one of the smaller versions and every trip, as we go for at least a week at a time, we have to make numerous trips to the store for food.
Just bought a 2008 Dodge 1500 V-8 hemi truck this past year so we could tow something a little bigger. Deals were good, so the money went for the truck first, now the trailer. I understand it can tow somewhere around 7800 lbs. . . thanks for your honesty. I just needed someone to bounce this off of so I could clear my head about it.