Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-13-2020, 09:03 PM   #1

SUN #11767
rootedmamma is an unknown quantity at this point
I did it! I did it! got me a 1984 t1550!

got her home safe + sound, and parked her in the driveway!! she definitely needs some work but I got a great deal, so I couldn't pass her up. she towed nicely! really looking forward to my kids and I enjoying her when she's ready to go. hoping for this summer-- its just myself and the kids, as I'm a single mum, so I'll be doing most of the work myself, with the occasional help from friends with certain things that I don't know much about, like electrical and whatnot (will learn during the process) this has been a dream for a long time and the way it all fell into place and happened just feels like its meant to be.

I'm extremely new to campers and this is my first experience. I have done remodeling inside my mothers house turning an attic into a livable space (and fixed my own vehicle on occasion) so I'm pretty confident with using tools and DIY stuff. visual learner so youtube has been awesome for that. happened across this website during google sleuth work, which also led me to the facebook group.

I've been doing a lot of reading and trying to learn about what to use like for sealing and knowing its a good idea to add some cross support along the walls.. and roof??. I'll be replacing the walls and reinforcing the existing plywood on the floors I think. is there a specific thickness that's best? taking notes. I intend to put down a grey oak laminate flooring over it, or maybe bamboo. unsure.

its been pretty rainy and chilly up here in MA, so I won't be able to do roof stuff right away so I think I'll get started inside first. (or should I just wait and do roof first?) I believe it does need to be sealed. I would feel best doing that. what is the best one to use for this? from my reading, I have gathered that for aluminum roofs, its best to use durabond? what is the best sealer to use? I know to do all around edges and vents as well.

one of the things I did notice is the bathroom skylight doesn't stay down despite cranking it shut. what would that be caused by? lucky the dang thing didn't fly off on the ride home- am I going to need to replace the entire thing?

well, anyway, looking forward to the chats and all the learning!

Old 02-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #2

SUN #9416
rewcamper is an unknown quantity at this point
hi, ( I'm in mass also )my first new camper was a 1985 t1550 that I had until 2003. I now have a 1985 t1750 which is a similar trailer only a little larger. I got it 3 years ago, and have done extensive work from removing siding, repairing all the corner framing, removing every vent, corner molding, windows and door, and re puttying and sealing, and re screwing everything. it's not really hard and to me is the best way if you have leaks. my problem is now that I'm done, I haven't used it even once , and it sits ( 2 years now ) waiting to be sold. I can't explain every single aspect of restoring / repairing , but I've been a carpenter for 54 years and can maybe shed a little light. everyone on this site can help you with just about any problem. feel free to ask. BOB

Old 02-14-2020, 02:13 PM   #3

SUN #9416
rewcamper is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry, I forgot to mention for reference, purposes,the trailer I have now is all original 25th anniversary edition one owner before me, all paperwork for every appliance,bill of sale etc. original hubcaps (I think ) and factory set of interior storm windows ($135 at the time ) haha I even found the cut out piece where they cut out for the water fill fixture, inside the wall..
Old 02-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #4

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome and congrats! I have a T1550 also. They are not hard to fix once you know how to take them apart. You have come to the right place for help and guidance. This is a very helpful and knowledgeable group.

Happy camping!!!
Old 02-14-2020, 09:18 PM   #5

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats on your ‘84 1550 and welcome to SOC!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome rootedmamma!

Congrats on your new Sunny!

Sounds like you have a nice project ahead of you. Doing repairs on a camper can be very therapeutic. And then comes the enjoyment of staring at it while sitting around the campfire enjoying it!

You have many good questions about repairing the camper, when you get to that time or in preparation for the work, consider creating a new post and ask those same questions in the Repair and Maintenance forum. This is your introduction post and the repairs posts can get quite lengthy some time. It is better/easier for the forum and folks searching for info in the future to see your work and questions in that forum.

Best of luck to you on your project. Ask away any and all questions.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1984, t1550