Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #1

SUN #5541
rneibeck is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello Just joined

Looking at purchasing a 1993 Solaris T-2160 Any information good/bad about this model will be appreciated. Initial look I thought it looked pretty solid. Asking price is a little high based on NADA (2.5 times average retail). All opinions, life's lessons, what to look for, etc. would be greatly appreciated as this will be our 1st trailer, would like it to be a good experience.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #2

SUN #5245
Anita1 is an unknown quantity at this point
The NADA book doesn't reflect the prices that travel trailers sell for. Not even close....so, I wouldn't pay any attention to that. You would think it would be like blue book for cars but it isn't accurate like blue book. I would guess it is because they do not collect data on travel trailer sales in order to get their values. You should check prices in your own area to see if you are getting a good deal.

Life lessons: If the trailer smells "musty" or "moldy" walk away....seriously, no matter what they say about it...walk away. There is a leak somewhere. Actively search for a moldy smell.

Force the person to prove that everything works....don't just take their word for it.

Force the person to unroll the awning.

Watch this video that a member posted on this site awhile back: How to Spot a Lemon when Buying an RV - YouTube

Read this gentleman's story: http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ade-14995.html

The only way to ensure that your first camper purchase experience is a good one is to do what you are doing....ask for advice and then follow EVERYTHING the experienced people tell you. Trust no one and be VERY careful because once you hand over your money you can't get it back.

Good luck.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome rneibeck. You will find the people here very friendly and helpful. Check out the Sunline Community forum and thread titled "Sad Video, Early Death of a Sunline"

Needless to say you can't do exactly what this "dealer" did to a private purchase you are interested in (although if you do....by all means get it on several cameras from different angles with close ups of the facial expressions....it will be a hit for sure).

This trailer had some very serious damage and this guy knew that going in. His scare is to have the dealer sell you. That said, it does have some very good points to look for and they are presented in this video as a visual aid. He also was surprised when he went into the corners expecting damage only to find they were in pretty good shape. Read his voice tone and you can get a "feel" for his "tell".

I'm new to the Forum myself and trying to and have learned a lot. I have a 1983 T-1550. It isn't perfect, but I love it. It is my 1st trailer but very well may not be my last Sunline. They're collectables aren't they?

Again, welcome and enjoy.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #4

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. Buy a moisture meter, not expensive. Check the underbelly wood. Finding moisture trapped under the underbelly fabric is a clue to floor rot. It also works as preventative maintenance.
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #5

SUN #5245
Jim,

How do you get the prongs of the moisture meter to the wood under the underbelly fabric? Just poke them thru? The prong are tiny.

I noticed in the instructions that it said that the meter reacts to metal...so if you find moisture you should probably poke around a bit to ensure an accurate reading. I can TOTALLY see how this would be a lifesaver when purchasing a camper and/or protecting the camper you already own.

On your advice I bought one and am glad that I did. It was cheap too.

Anita
Old 08-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #6

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anita

When looking at a trailer to buy I just poke through fabric. On my trailer I have primary areas I repeatedly check, across the front, across the rear, water tank area, under windows and doors. From repeated checking those areas get quite perforated. I cover those ares with Gorilla duct tape. While not as good a Flex-Mend it's removable and replaceable for repeat checks.
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #7

SUN #5245
Jim,

Thanks for the info! I will start checking those areas on my camper too. I bought some Gorilla duct tape and a camper tool so I am all set there.

Anita
Old 08-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #8

SUN #1949
joe8grouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

Make sure you have enough vehicle to tow it with. Most here on the site will advise to stay within 70-80% of your vehicle's towing capacity. Much better to be safe and sound, not to mention a less stressful trip to the camp ground.

Joe & Tina

1998 T-2363
1994 T-2251
2011 Tundra Crew Max Limited
joe8grouse is offline   Reply With Quote