Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

SUN #9372
Allan/Suzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello from Elk Creek, VA

Hello All!

My wife & I just brought home a 2002 T-2053 Sunline Trailer. On the good side we only have $2,000 in it. On the challenging side, it was left uncovered and there is wall & floor damage from a leaking roof.

My thinking is to find a reputable repair person and hope for the best. My wife of course suggests 'we' take it on ourselves as a 'fun' restoration project as she so eloquently puts it, lol. We both enjoy taken something forgotten and putting life back into it.

I found your forum and am so glad you're here. We want to do some research to see what we are potentially up against. We're both retired and live on a small farm that keeps up plenty busy- but if we can save a considerable amount by doing the work ourselves that would be great.

I have extensive background in construction having had a contractor's license prior to retirement so I know my tools. Just have no experience with trailers so before I commit to doing the work 'myself' I'm here to learn from your experiences.

I'm sure my wife will be doing allot of the chatting & posting of pictures as she enjoys that sort of thing. But I want to introduce us and thank you for accepting us into your forum.

I need to keep reminding myself that we purchased this trailer for next to nothing, so in that regard, she's a diamond in the rough. For now.

Looking forward to getting to know you and your Sunline experiences!

Allan & Suzie Wineholt

Old 05-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #2

SUN #9333
JohnByrum is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello Allan and Suzie.
I'm new to the group also and I've found that there is a LOT of great info on the site and everyone has been very friendly and helpful.

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #3

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello and welcome from Maryland.

There are lots of good rebuild threads on here that can help you decide if it's something you want to undertake.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:19 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome Allan and Suzie!!

Congrats on your new Sunny!

For sure, a rebuild will be more cost effective to do the work yourself especially if you have wood tools and know how to use them.

Shop rates can vary from an independent guy at approx $65/hr to a larger dealership at $100 plus/hr. It is not the materials that cost that much it is the amount of labor to do the work. It is time consuming but very straight forward once you learn the way the camper was built.

We have many folks with pics who have done substantial rebuilds. One of our members actually rebuilt the entire camper, everything from the frame up.

These fit well with retirement projects...as I too recently retired last August. I myself acquired a "project camper" this spring. I need a good long winter project this coming December...

Once you get into it, let us know and we are glad to help.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #5

SUN #9372
Thank You John! It's Suzie here- I'm the one that brought the 'Project' camper home- ha! Well, Allan towed it- but I purchased it.

After reading every post in 'Tommies' repair thread- I don't mind telling you I realize I may have made a bad choice in this 'project'. I have no doubt Allan is capable of doing the work- he just has allot of farm build projects ahead of him now. That and he battles arthritis daily and I know the close confinement would be hard on him.

I'm heart broken right now, ha! I'm going to continue researching your wonderful forum here and decide the best route for 'my' project, lol! I know there are women out there that would jump right into a project like this. I just do NOT have the confidence plus, I have a knee replacement in place now and may possibly be looking at the other one in the near future.

We have a 21 acre farm that borders Mt. Jefferson National Park in Virginia and it is absolutely beautiful here. Lot's of beautiful views from where the camper is parked. I had hoped we could repair the Sunline and enjoy it right here on our property plus light travel. It was never used on the road- the elderly couple purchased it for guests. The cabinets, sofa, bathroom, appliances all look brand new. They just never knew to cover it and here we are.

Thank You all for your welcome & insights- who knows where this camper will lead (me), us!
Old 07-28-2017, 12:01 PM   #6

SUN #9372
Hello Everyone!

Suzie here. So, with our aging joints & numerous farm responsibilities, we decided to take our 2002 T-2053 Sunny to a Camper Repair Service. They removed the old roof & put down a 3/4" layer of plywood then coated it with a rubber membrane. No nails, no screws and was told it would survive the life of the trailer unless we ran under too low of a clearance or tree limb- lol!

That's the best description I can give of the repair. Allan would probably be able to detail it better. They also repaired the moisture in the interior ceiling over the dining room table. I'll get updated pictures in our album soon. We paid allot for the repair but the good news is, we still have our Sunny and I'm thrilled!

Allan is about to add new hardwood flooring throughout. The bedroom carpet is faded so we decided it had to go- decided to put down hardware flooring except the bathroom. I'm not sure how Allan is approaching that- I'm trying not to be a nagging wife- LOL!

He's built log homes, houses, etc., so altho I believe travel trailers are a different beast- I'm thankful new beautiful hardware flooring is going down! He even let me pick it out. Bruce Hardwood Pre-finished 3/4" Tongue & Groove, GunStock.

We had planned to start that today and of course a summer storm is above us. But during the breaks in rain we're pulling out the old carpet. The remainder of the weekend is suppose to be nice so hopefully we can get more done with that project!

A few of our interior bulbs need to be replaced. I have searched over the site here and can't seem to locate the type of bulbs we need. Can't seem to find it in our manual- altho I KNOW it's there! Such a simple question and the answer is probably all over the forum- but I can't locate it. I'm just not 'forum' savvy yet. So I need your help! Will be so appreciated!

Hoping to take our first road trip to Gettysburg, PA in a few weeks. I'm BEYOND excited!

= ), Suzie!
Old 07-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #7

SUN #89
Hi Suzie,

Your note said, 3/4" roof decking and 3/4" tongue and grove hard wood flooring. Is the 3/4" correct or is it 3/8"?

To the light bulbs,

Are you talking about the ceiling light fixtures? They sort of look like this, your 2002 might be a little different but the bulb is most likely the same. A number 921 bulb.

These posts may help
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ment-8293.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...lbs-10200.html

If you are wanting to upgrade to LED lights, less power better for boondocking camper (off the grid, not shore power to plug in) this is one of many threads on LED's http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...lbs-10297.html

For searching our forum easier, see this updated help thread. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f1...html#post86049

The Google Custom Search mentioned will bring up a lot on light bulbs. Just enter "light bulbs" or "LED light bulbs" and hit the blue go button. You can read for hours...

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Old 07-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #8

SUN #9247
enormiss is an unknown quantity at this point
I just bought 10 of these and put them in one side of my double bulb fixtures to see how they are.
Havent spent time camping with them yet for a review but for the price I dont think I can be disappointed.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #9

SUN #9372
Thank You for the information on the light bulbs John & 'enormiss'! Yes, I was referring to the ceiling light fixtures.

I'm somewhat concerned to tell you that I was told 3/4"s on the roof decking and new flooring. On the roof decking, the Camper Repair place said they used 3/4" plywood so we never had to worry about walking around on it when maintaining the roof plus the items on top.

I doubt they did as good a job as some of the experts here- but hopefully they haven't messed us up.

I'm not sure 'how' Allan is approaching the floor John. I do know he's pulling up the sub-flooring and adding new sub-flooring, moisture barrier and 3/4" hardwood flooring. Maybe I better look around to see how it's done by those here huh? = )

Thank You for the reference to what you purchased 'enormiss'! You are certainly right on the 'price'-! I'm going to order some just because of the deep discount-!

I appreciate the knowledge & experiences here on the forum! It's quite intimidating hanging out with you seasoned campers- but exciting at the same time! Our camper will be parked on our new vacation property 7 miles from Gettysburg for the most part. Allan has plans to build a covered pavilion w/ power to dock it to. I hope I'm saying this right- lol! It will cover the camper- have a screened porch to walk out on and decking around the camper. If we want to take it out we'll be able to but we love that area and will spend most of our time there. Hotel prices are out of control these days!
Old 07-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #10

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Suzie & Allen,

Welcome to SOC! You sound like you're well on your way to enjoying your Sunny. We like pixs here so don't be shy about posting. Happy camping!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:07 PM   #11

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome Allan/Suzie! Congrats on your "new-to-you" Sunny. Glad you will be camping real soon. Look forward to seeing your pics.

Tommie
Old 07-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #12

SUN #9372
Thank You Wannabes & Tommie! I love this forum and the people we are meeting here!

= ), -Suzie!
Old 07-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #13

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan/Suzie View Post
Snip...
I'm somewhat concerned to tell you that I was told 3/4"s on the roof decking and new flooring. On the roof decking, the Camper Repair place said they used 3/4" plywood so we never had to worry about walking around on it when maintaining the roof plus the items on top.

Snip...
I appreciate the knowledge & experiences here on the forum! It's quite intimidating hanging out with you seasoned campers- but exciting at the same time! Our camper will be parked on our new vacation property 7 miles from Gettysburg for the most part. Allan has plans to build a covered pavilion w/ power to dock it to. I hope I'm saying this right- lol! It will cover the camper- have a screened porch to walk out on and decking around the camper. If we want to take it out we'll be able to but we love that area and will spend most of our time there. Hotel prices are out of control these days!
Hi Suzie,

On the 3/4" roof, it will for sure hold. No problem in that sense. You may be the only Sunline with a roof that substantial! The factory when it was ordered as option for a walk on roof only used 3/8". The rafters holding the roof up are made from 1/2" sawed wood made into an arched truss. The reason for the light thickness decking is weight. When the walk on roof was ordered, there where times pending the camper size that is could add approx 150 to 200 plus pounds of extra weight. The size of the camper affects that number. This extra weight would subtract from the allowable cargo capacity that the camper can hold. The tires and axles are rated for only so much weight. It is all about choices. To have a heavier roof, which can be a good thing, then there needs to be less weight carried inside the camper in camping gear.

The floor thickness I think changed over the years. 7/16" to 1/2" thick was used as the main floor. It works, there is some slight sag between the floor joists, but it does hold. The only time it has been reported to have broken was on a wet rotted floor. If you choose to put a subfloor and 3/4" oak over this, it will work hands down as this is how houses are built from long ago. Again back to the weight. If you add a double thickness floor, then you will need to reduce even further how much cargo can be added.

There is a weight sticker inside your camper. This usually shows up inside a kitchen or bathroom cabinet. It shows you how much cargo capacity can be added to the camper before your reach the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) You can back into how many pieces of roof decking where added and how many extra thickness of flooring will be added and estimate a weight to be subtracted from the allowable cargo. Again, this all comes back to choices. A very nice substantial floor with a very good roof will mean you can only carry less of something else.

Campers are built from a weight/price point of view. They are for sure not as substantial as a house is built or even a mobile home. If they where built that heavy duty, many folks could not afford them or the truck to pull them. So they created something in the middle. Some brands less then others... Sunline created a higher end version of the camper that fit both light weight and had the ability to last. The difference though to make them last, is the hard part verses a house. It is like your wet camper, the prior owner did not understand the needs of how to maintain the roof system or the caulking. They think it is like a house, a house roof can last 25 to 35 years. Well not for a camper roof. They needs frequent annual maintenance and inspections to not have a breakdown of the roof sealants and to wash the rubber.

You can ask any questions you want/need to here on our forum. There are no dumb questions, only ones that you need help with. We were all new to having a camper at one time. So ask away!

The camping spot with the covered roof you are describing sounds really nice. That will greatly help extend the life of your camper as it will keep sun and rain from directly hitting the roof and upper area of the camper.

And yes, hotel prices have gone through the roof... Before I retired last year, I use to travel for work a fair amount. After staying in a hotel for work for so long, I'll take the camper any day!

Hope this helps

Thanks

John

Old 07-29-2017, 03:27 PM   #14

SUN #9372
Yes, it helps very much John, Thank You! Allan will find your comments very interesting!

Right now he's removing the pre-existing sub-flooring. Allan suspects most of the damage was done due to a leak around the antenna. The sub-flooring from the front door & throughout dining area was the worst. He's removed it all the way to the back bedroom and I'm not sure what his plans are for that area. It's dry & looks 10yrs younger than what was at the front door!

What a shame people aren't better educated on caring for their camper. And how wonderful you and others here take the time you do to educate us newbies!

It breaks my heart to share this picture. But I do so in hopes others here will one day find if they neglect their roof decking!

On my way to order the moisture meter! = ), Suzie!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 5.51.13 PM.jpg (36.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 4.43.33 PM.jpg (78.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #15

SUN #9372
What we accomplished today: Pulled 'most' of the sub-flooring out, husband feels the bathroom and bedroom are ok, for now. We've shut the camper up w/ exception of a few windows and have the 'fan' running inside.

Tomorrow Allan says we check other areas for mold & treat w/ clorox. Underneath the linoleum in sink area, hopefully the stove if we can get to it.

He's also pulling up one of the bench seats to replace rotten wood there and check for mold. He said something about having to rebuild the threshold at the front door that is gone.

He's taking a shower now- I'll edit this post for specifics when he's in the living room again! Pretty gross.

We're thinking of maybe removing the seats in the dining area and replacing them with something more comfortable for us fast approaching 'senior' campers- LOL! The verdict is still out on that- I'm going to browse around the forum to see what might be here on something like that!

Your critiques are welcome. We're hopefully 'Baptizing' her-!

=), Suzie!
Old 07-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #16

SUN #9372
Well silly me thought we'd remove the dinette seat and find happiness there. NOPE! Most of you camper engineers probably know what was lurking there given my recent pictures. Fortunately the other side is solid & dry. Dang antenna. I know- possibly other corner leakage. When we're done- Suzie is going to cover the entire camper with silicone caulking- LOL!

Allan sent me inside to search for pictures & experience on replacing floor joists down to the frame & possibly the front wall panel. I hope I said all of that right- lol.

We're keeping this FUN folks! We'll take out all of the infected areas and replace as best we now how. At much cheaper rates than we paid for the roof decking!

Rather do it now than when my GunStock Hardwood Flooring is in place!

What a journey!

Old 07-30-2017, 05:47 PM   #17

SUN #89
Quote:

Dang antenna. I know- possibly other corner leakage. When we're done- Suzie is going to cover the entire camper with silicone caulking- LOL!

Allan sent me inside to search for pictures & experience on replacing floor joists down to the frame & possibly the front wall panel. I hope I said all of that right- lol.
Hi Suzie,

I think you are joking on the "silicone caulking" right? LOL

On a serious note, if you are going to caulk outside joints, do not use silicone on the camper for that purpose. It's has it place, just caulking outside camper joints is not the best application of it. The silicone will work on day one when you put it on. But then over time, (a few months to a year or more) it will separate and create a leak again. And then it is so slippery most nothing will stick to that area and it is very hard to get it off. It is not made to take the large amount of expansion and contraction and twisting going down the road like a camper does. Dicor does make caulking for both self leveling on the roof and non leveling for vertical surfaces that is made to flex, and deal with the hot/cold and UV sun of living outside on a camper. And you can remove it if you want to with a heat gun and scraper.

On the floor pics, here try these

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...avy-14275.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ris-16666.html

On going repair threads with floor repair
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...air-17458.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...3-a-17433.html

Here is a product you may want to look into. This product treats wet wood that is still sound wood but was infected with water and dry rot fungus.

The CEPS product
Product Information

I have used this on rot repairs. I cut out the bad wood to be replaced and the wood that was water stained or soaked but was still sound solid wood, I treated it with CEPS. The kills any fungus in the wood that later will create dry rot and it seals and hardens the wood again. If you get this product, you have to use a respirator, they sell the right ones on their site. The really bad stink will go away in about 3 days and then their is no smell.

Hope this helps and good luck. You both are doing a great job!

John

Old 07-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #18

SUN #89
Quote:

We're thinking of maybe removing the seats in the dining area and replacing them with something more comfortable for us fast approaching 'senior' campers- LOL! The verdict is still out on that- I'm going to browse around the forum to see what might be here on something like that!
Hi Suzie,

As an option to a dinette is table and chairs.

This thread has pics of Sunline provided table and chairs in place of dinette.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...53-a-9169.html

This one may give you some ideas
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...om-8859-2.html

If you do go the table and chairs route, you need to find a solution for towing travel. Some tables are screwed to the floor, others free standing and can be moved as needed. On the movable table type, we have one, we lay the table down for travel and stack the chairs down on the floor so they do not going moving around during rough roads and quick camper/truck stopping.

Hope this helps

John

Old 07-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #19

SUN #9372
Thank You John! I'm so the scenario of the blind leading the husband here, lol! I didn't realize there was a page 2 addition and am just now seeing your posts!! I am handing my laptop over to Allan for him to review what you have sent and will go delete the post I just submitted, or should I say, my 'cry for help'.

Allan will laugh at me over the silicone caulking- I can preserve the most delicious salsa, green-beans, and jams- I raise bees and bring delicious honey to the table. Mechanic.. I'm not. So no- the silicone caulking was not a joke!

It's a good thing I had the where-with-all to find SOC and the wonderful members here! If we are able to make it to your Greet & Meets, is that what you call them?, I'll bring jam & honey to share- LOL!

Thank You SO Much!!

, Suzie!