Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #1

SUN #1635
vanhakke is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello From Detroit

Hello, Everyone,

Signing in for the first time. Hello. Although we are new to the club, we are not new to owning a Sunline. We purchased ours new in October of 2006, just in time for the factory to close up on us. We had a special order on their books. They were very nice the first month or so, then went strangely silent. As we all eventually found out, they were in the process of closing down the factory, and our special order was never built. General RV here in Michigan had a unit on the lot that was very similar to the one we ordered, and we ended up taking delivery on that one, a 2007 T-286SR. Our very first trip was to Yellowstone. Probably too ambitious for a first trip, but happy to say it worked out very well. Our Sunline does double duty as a summer home north of Detroit, with occasional outings for a change of scene. Since retiring this June, we have started making more trips. Next big trip this coming spring: New Orleans and then the Grand Canyon. The only trouble that we've had since to got the trailer was a leaking seal around the outside of the slider. The dealership fixed that (warranty) and it has been trouble-free ever since. Here's a question for anyone who has tried this: we are in the process of removing the sofa bed from the slider and replacing it with two La-Z-Boy recliners. We have measured, and the chairs will fit. It appears that the 2 x 6 framework that supports the sofa will have to be removed. That does not appear to me to present a problem. Has anyone had experience with this type of modification? Thanks for your help.
-- Van Hakke (Dennis)

Old 10-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the club!

I too have an '07 286SR, but I had to go out to NJ to get mine because General didn't have anything that fit my needs left.

I also am beginning to hate my current sofa, what kind do you have? With the current situation, I'm needing that as a sleeping possibility, and it's kind of short between the wall and dinette back. I'm looking to upgrade to a pull out sofa bed instead of the jacknife sofa that's there now. It sure is uncomfortable. I'm very interested to see how you do the chair mod and what's involved with removing the 2x4 framework, as I might have to do the same for installing a pull out bed. I only know of two '07s with the pull out (it was a fairly uncommon option), and I haven't had the opportunity to look at either one close enough to see if that framing is still there.

What interior color choices do you have?

You should consider checking out the Midwest Meet & Greet down in south central Michigan next May. It's about two hours for me coming from about 20 miles east of Ann Arbor.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #3

SUN #1635
Replacing the Sofa

Hello, Jon,
My wife and I are glad to meet you. Seems like you must be right down the road. Thanks, by the way, for moderating this site. Very helpful.

You said you had to go all the way to New Jersey to get yours, you must have bought yours in late '06 or early '07. Ours came off the lot in Wixom
in late Oct. '06.

We initially special ordered ours in late July of that year, right after having
returned from a trip to Maine in our 30' Rockwood. After experiencing a 24-hour rain in New Hampshire, the leak around the slider in the Rockwood became painfully evident, and we knew we had to dispose of it. Fortunately,
General was generous in our trade-in (an obvious up-grade, with a similar up-grade in price!)

Our special order to Sunline included the fold-out bed, a re-arrangement of the countertops in the galley, where the microwave was to be installed at eye level, and the space under the microwave converted to counter space, a power tongue jack, a slider awning, and the black tank spray kit.

The dealership told us that our unit was going on the line that coming Friday, and that same Friday, the network picked up the word that Sunline was shutting down. Can you imagine the disappointment?

So, the bed and the galley mods never happened. The dealership took care of the other items. (And, yes, the jacknife bed is the one we have.)

We ordered the trailer in cherry wood and the blue/brown interior. The unit off the lot at Wixom had the same interior. The blue/brown color scheme would not have been our first choice. The sapphire blue from the previous year was better.

Checked the structure under the sofa/bed yesterday. As you commented, the 2 x 6's will probably have to come out to accomodate two recliners. There is an outside chance that the frame of the 2 x 6's will allow the two chairs to just barely fit in between them. That would be ideal, but the jury is still out on whether that is possible. Will know more today, and will advise.

I have one big question: is there any chance that the 2 x 6 framework affects the structural integrity of the slider? Although the 2 x 6's are attached very, very securely, they don't seem to be a part of the slider structure. I looked at the underside of the slider, and it looks and feels rock solid.

Being recently retired, a meet and greet in May would be interesting. We plan on being at Grand Canyon in Mid-May. Perhaps the timing would be good to drop by on our return?

Thanks again. Looking forward to any and all replies.

Vanhakke
(Dennis)
Two cats, Arty and Tobi: The May/December romance.
vanhakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #4

SUN #778
Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome Marie and Dennis!
There aren't a lot of us SOC people in MI, but there are a few.
You joined long after you got your Sunline. We did it the other way. Decided we wanted a Sunline, joined this forum, and ended up buying our T-2499 off another SOC member. The SOC people are the nicest and most helpful people I think I have ever run into!
Just this last week end i took the Sunline up to Rapid City. I have been helping my son build a pole barn for storage. We just got the roof on, but the walls will have to wait till next year, but the Sunline will be covered for the winter.
Roar
Old 10-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #5

SUN #1635
Passing Through Lake Orion

Hello, Roar,

Thanks for the reply. Its true. We don't see many Sunlines in Michigan.
In our travels this summer, to Indiana, the U.P. and the Lower Peninsula just
recently, we saw only 3 Sunlines total. We are, admitedly, a somewhat exclusive group. Curiously, I just drove through Lake Orion yesterday afternoon, on the way back from the property where we keep the trailer.
And like yourself, we have the ability to keep it under roof for the winter, something we are pretty happy about.

You'll notice in other posts here, that we are in the process of tearing out
the jacknife sofa bed and replacing it with La-Z-Boy's. The chairs are way more comfortable than the sofa/bed, but there will be changes required to make it happen. I was at the trailer yesterday, measuring to make sure everything would fit. And it does.

I'm getting the word that the SOC is friendly place, and its turning out to be true. Looking forward to getting aquainted with lots of new RV friends.
By-the-way, nice choice of TV!

Dennis
Old 10-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #6

SUN #809
ihsolutions
I live in SE Michigan and most of our trips are in Michigan to the west and north, and sometimes down to Ohio for Cedar Point.

I cannot remember the last time I went on a trip and DIDN'T see a Sunline. They are everywhere. Usually I see several if I'm making a drive of a couple hundred miles, round trip.
2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD D/A DRW, Classy Chassis Conversion, aka "Garage Queen II"
Hensley Trailersaver BD3 Air Hitch
ihsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #7

SUN #1003
Retired & Rolling
Hi Dennis,
Detroit area here!! (Dearborn to be exact) I see at least 1 Sunline when we travel, most of the time it is when we are NOT pulling the trailer!! Welcome to the forums!! Keep your SOC cards handy!!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #8

SUN #1635
Thanks for the Welcomes

Jeff, Laurie, Steve, Sue

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

As you all know, once we own a particular thing, we tend to watch for that "thing" when we travel. We all become RV watchers as we travel down the road. Now that we are with the SOC, we'll be watching even more closely. Who knows? It might be one of you?

Steve: tell me about the "SOC cards". Is there such a thing? Do we get membership cards with this?

Being my first winter retired, we don't have plans to be gone south for the winter. Sunline will be locked in the barn. Next winter might be spent in Arizona or somewhere. THAT would be nice.

Thanks for the replies.

Dennis
Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #9

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
From the "Files" Section,

SOC Business Cards in MS WORD:

Sunline Coach Owner's Club - Sunline Owner's Files - Sunline Owner's Club cards (MS Word)

SOC Business Cards in Adobe PDF:

Sunline Coach Owner's Club - Sunline Owner's Files - Sunline Owner's Club cards (PDF)

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #10

SUN #1635
Mack,

Thank you. There's a lot on this website. It will take some time to see it all.
I found the link, and I checked it out.

Thanks again.

Dennis
Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #11

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome Dennis and Marie!!

Glad you found us and glad to have you with us. Yes, when we had heard that day back in black November that Sunline was going under it was a shock and sadness. We now all have collector items.

I bought my 1st Sunline in Coldwater MI. There where a lot more stocking Sunline dealers in Michigan then in Ohio.... So we drove north 350 miles one way to see it and then back to pick it up. The 2nd one we drop 500 miles one way to Reading PA to get it....

To your couch and the slide, I may be able to help some here. The rug boards that hold up the couch do come out. There are several gold square bit screws buried in the carpet. Keep feeling for them and then take them all out. If it is still held in, well you missed a few more.... Once you get them all out the rug boards just come right off and if you fluff the carpet up it looks like it was never there.

Here are some pics of the process. This is a 2004 model but odds are yours is made very similar.

Here I had to take the carpet up but it has the same screws buried in the carpet.

Those pics where from a slide floor repair that was problematic with water getting under the vapor barrier in the 2004 and older models. Not to worry as in 2005 Sunline upgraded the slide floors to a coated plastic covered OSB board and that problem I had went away.

We have table and chairs. I'm making an assumption you have the dinette. If you have the dinette then I'm assuming you are leaving the seat wall in place but just taking the sofa rug board off. The seat wall or in my case the middle end of the jack knife couch does help give some structure to the slide floor setup when the slide is retracted "in". The floor is hanging out unsupported and if someone steps on it, it flexes the floor and pulls on the dinette and can and has pulled it from the wall pending how many repeated walks it gets. I know we have had several here on SOC have there dinette pull away from the wall from walking on the slide with it in.

To combat the floor flex use a rug board under the slide comes in as a handy preventive fix. If you ever walk thru the camper when the slide is in, it is easy to accidentally step on it. I know some have used 3 of them, in my case I use one in the middle.

Basically make up a flat board and line it with carpet to get the right wedge thickness. Using 3, 1 on each end and then 1 in the middle is the bullet proof way to conquer the problem.

Hope this helps and again Welcome to SOC

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #12

SUN #1635
John,
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #13

SUN #1635
John,
That was an excellant tutorial. Gave me a much better idea what to expect. The tip about the carpet board to support the closed slider floor was especially good. We'll be sure to have one handy. I admit that I have, in fact, scheduled the work done at General RV, not being very handy with the inner workings of the trailer. After reading your explanation, it seems pretty sure that I could do it myself. None-the-less, my wife and I are excited to have the recliners (wall huggers) installed. It will make a major difference in our comfort levels.
Nice unit you have there, by the way. Especially like the rear picture windows. We looked at that model for awhile, and finally settled on the 286SR, because of the floor plan. Really like the larger bathroom.
When the work is done on installing the recliners, I'll be back here and post the results. We have great expectations.
Thanks again for the help.

Dennis
Old 10-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #14

SUN #123
Hi Dennis,

Just curious, are you planning to have General just dispose of the old sofa then?

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 10-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #15

SUN #1635
Hi, Jon,

No. In fact, I'm sure I can remove the sofa from the framework before I take it to General. It appears to be held on only with 4 wood screws. I'll just keep it in the barn until I'm sure that the new arrangement works out. Once we are satisfied with the new recliner arrangement, I might offer it for sale, here, at a good price.

Granola, anyone?

Dennis
Old 10-28-2010, 04:20 AM   #16

SUN #123
Hi Dennis,

Oh good. Once they would do something with it, it would be hard to find that Misty Blue fabric again, so you are smart to keep it.

Indeed, it is held in by four screws, but I think it's easier to take more apart to get it out. Open the sofa about half way between open and closed. There are four nuts (I think 9/16 if memory serves) that hold the bottom cushion on. Remove those four nuts, and then the cushion will just pick up off the frame brackets. Then you have much easier access to the frame screws. You should be able to get to them at this point.

For storage, it might almost be easier to remove both cushions. The back removes in the same fashion. Then you'd just have two similar size cushions that could be easily wrapped up and then two sofa bracket/hinge assemblies, which should be much easier to store/carry. As a whole sofa, you'd probably need help to carry it, but apart like this, you could easily carry it by yourself.

Jon
Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #17

SUN #1111
K & G is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Dennis,

Greetings from the other side of the state, Beaverdam, MI.

Kevin & Georgetta
Old 10-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #18

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Hi Dennis,

Indeed, it is held in by four screws, but I think it's easier to take more apart to get it out. Open the sofa about half way between open and closed. There are four nuts (I think 9/16 if memory serves) that hold the bottom cushion on. Remove those four nuts, and then the cushion will just pick up off the frame brackets. Then you have much easier access to the frame screws. You should be able to get to them at this point.

Jon
Yup that's it. See here for pics. This is from my prior T2499 but it uses the same removal process

The 2, 9/16" nuts on both sides

Then off it comes like this

And looks like this

The just take out the 4 long screws in the frame and out it comes.

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #19

SUN #778
Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
John,
You are a trip!
You seem to have detail pictures of everything, - even our (formerly your) great T-2499!
How do you find them when you want to show a particular detail?
Roar
Old 10-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #20

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
John,
You are a trip!
You seem to have detail pictures of everything, - even our (formerly your) great T-2499!
How do you find them when you want to show a particular detail?
Roar
I've got mine in folders on the subject, broken down by coach (I have a folder for all the coaches I've personally had, with sub folders for each unit). This is separate from the main coach picture collection of everything out there. Unfortunately though, I didn't take any of the dis-assembly process because I was so focused on my idea to modify it, I took plenty of that but none of the steps to get the sofa ready for the mod.

I've got similar folders set up on my photobucket, but having multiple folders there is a pain because they have to load and the links go really long in a post. I've had a few cases where I just upload a new one because it's quicker to find it and do it that way than to find it on photobucket. Unless I'm lucky enough to see it or remember where it is...

Jon