Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-09-2022, 08:30 AM   #1

SUN #13426
Chirbles is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello

Hello everyone! My name is Lesley & I bought a 2000 Solaris Lite 2053. I am going to pick it up next week. Does anyone here know what size tire it would take? I want to bring spares as it is 5 states away but I can not find tire size info on it. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 09-09-2022, 11:03 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi and Welcome!

Congrats on your new Sunny!

I looked in the year 2000 Sunline brochure and they stated, they used 14" tires on the T-1950 through the T-2475. Your T-2053 would fall into that group of the 5,500# GVWR class campers. See PDF page 4, on the lower left corners under "Exterior" See this link when logged in to download the year 2000 brochure. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/d...o=file&id=5509

You want ST type high speed radial trailer tires. They would be 5 lug wheels on a 4 1/2" bolt pattern.

The full tire size would then be, ST205/75R14 Load range C. It would be great if another member with a year 2000 camper in the 5,500# class GVWR could confirm that size. I am fairly sure that is the whole size but a double check helps.

As FYI for others reading this, I do not know what model year Sunline changed from 14" tires to 15"tires on the 5,500# class GVWR campers. It would be after year 2000 at least. I know for a fact they changed "by" 2004 as I have them on 2 of my 5,500# class project campers. They would be ST205/75R15's load range C, with a 5 lug on 4 1/2" bolt. At this point, the year 2001 to 2003 is unknown.

Since you are towing this for "states" away, I'll pass this along to help you not have a bad day towing on your first trip. This is just extra info incase you did not know. I have towed 7 used Sunlines states away back to my place, and tires are always a concern. One of them had 13 year tires on it. The originals from Sunline. I knew it going in and I brought new wheels and tires with me and changed them before heading out. The others I had a plan to bring new ones mounted or made sure the tires on the camper where new enough I did not have to worry about a tire failure on the way.

See if you can get the owner to check for the 4 digit date code on the side of the tire and give it to you. And the 4 digit code could be on the inside of the tire if they cannot find it on the outside. Ideal is to check all 4 tires. And they can confirm back to you the size is ST205/75R14 load range C . Have them send a pic of the code if it makes it easier for them.

If you or they do not know how to read the date code, see here for 2 writeups on the codes. On trailers, the 4 digit code might be in a small stamp by itself after all the other DOT codes, or part of the long DOT code.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Point being, if the tires are much over 5 years old, seriously consider getting new tires before heading out on a trip that long. Just because the tread looks great does not mean the tire is good enough to survive a trip that long. Cracks in-between the treads and sidewalls are a giveaway too that the tires have aged too far.

Heating old tires up on a long tow, brings out the worst in them.

If you have it these items at home, consider adding them to your camper pick up kit.

A portable air tank/portable compressor. tire inflator etc. with hose, tire chuck & gauge. Make sure all tires are at max cold tire sidewall pressure. which on C load range is 50 psi. If you have no compressor etc. search out a gas station close by you can get the truck and camper into and bring your own tire gage.

Something to chock the wheels with, a bottle jack and blocks to reach the camper frame, 13/16" socket, extension, breaker bar, ratchet and 1/2" drive torque wrench. The lug nuts are 100 ft lb. These trailer wheels need 3 times torque re-checks once a wheel is changed. 1st time around 20 to 30 miles (most important). 2nd another 50 to 60 miles, then another 70 -100 miles. They normally stop taking torque on the 3 set but if not, then do a 4th set.

A roll of gorilla tape. Believe me, it comes in handy on cracked roof vents or fridge vents or anything else that needs a Band-Aid to get you home.

If you have an assortment of other basic hand tools and a volt meter, it helps.

Good luck on your trip, and this is the place for Sunline info, read on and just ask when you need help.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 06:03 AM   #3

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
The full tire size would then be, ST205/75R14 Load range C. It would be great if another member with a year 2000 camper in the 5,500# class GVWR could confirm that size. I am fairly sure that is the whole size but a double check helps.
That is the size on my 2000 T2370 with 5500# GVWR
Old 09-12-2022, 10:11 AM   #4

SUN #13426
Chirbles is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Hello

John B thank you so much for all of this much needed info & advice! I will definitely take this all to heart! The camper has been owned by a dear family friend & has been well loved & cared for! I am so grateful to be it's next owner! As you see though I am a newbie when it comes to campers & their care! Your advice is invaluable to me! I just want to be prepared & now I am, thanks to you!
Lesley