Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

SUN #9184
Falcao is an unknown quantity at this point
Future Hopeful Now Current Owner!

I'm very excited to be the new owner of a 1982 15.5 SD (T1550)!
Just two weeks ago I was here: http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ner-17565.html

I'm planning to tow it home in a couple of weeks. I'll be pulling it into the gravel parking area at my house when I get it back so I'll have close access to it while I'm familiarizing myself with it. Within a month or two I'd like to have it in its summer location on the same property but farther away from the house, which they will be demolishing and rebuilding this summer. Which leads me to my question:

The best area I have to put it will be a little awkward to get it into. It should be easy enough to back it in but the door will be facing the wrong way. How feasible is it to have a few strong people swing it around to face the other direction? I can make sure it's empty, so the weight will be around 1800 lbs. And I do know there will be a good bit of leveling to do. Also, this will be on a grassy/dirt area.

Throughout looking for trailer I had a lot of people reply to my question of "Do you know the tongue weight?" with "Well, I can lift the tongue up by myself so it should be under 200 lbs." So I imagine some manipulation can be done but what are your thoughts on actually turning it around? The brochure says the tongue weight on this is 150 but I expect it's over that, but still under 200.

The other option may be to drive it in straight -- I think I can get the car out of there afterward just fine -- but I think backing the trailer out later will not be as easy as backing it in now and turning it around.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Falcao,

1st congrats on the new to you Sunline.

To answer you question, based on the weight you've indicated I think it would be possible with, as you stated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
... a few strong people ...
My concern would be how solid or soft the grassy/dirt area you plan to put the trailer on is. You may want to consider using boards or thick plywood to help in turning the trailer so the tires or tongue jack doesn't sink into the ground.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out (or should I say turn around )

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #3

SUN #9184
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHutch View Post
...consider using boards or thick plywood...
Great idea! I'll be clearing of the area soon in preparation so I'll get a better idea of what I'll potentially be sitting on but in any case a sheet of thick plywood is probably a very smart move.

And since I'll have it in place for a few months, I'll put some blocks under it to give the tires and axle a rest. The gentleman I bought it from had it on some nicely sized stumps of wood with some smaller blocks I assume for leveling and to get the height right. Any other suggestions for what to hold it up with in case I can't get a hold of some healthy cut trees?
Old 05-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Falcao,

Congrats on your new Sunny!!!

To your back in, driving in and turning around dilemma. Not knowing if this will work or not, but here goes.

You said you could drive it straight in. A suggestion, drive it in and stop short of the final location, short enough to back the tow vehicle out of the way. Then with a few helpers, just push the camper straight ahead to it's final resting spot. It may be easier to push the camper straight then doing a 180 turn.

To help lift and hold up the tongue while pulling forward, if you have a heavy rope or strap, tie it to the tongue and use 2 guys, one each side to lift and pull. This is easier then 1 guy trying to awkwardly trying to hold up the tongue. And 1 or 2 more helper pushing the camper. It will roll no problem, the question is soft sog etc is what bogs it down and hard to push. On concrete, may son and I can push my 10,000 lb Sunline forward and back in our barn.

An option to wood for leveling the tires or stabilizer jacks, is to use solid concrete paver blocks. They make then in 2" thick and 4" thick, like these

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Square-Gray...1-7-in/3018983

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cap-Concret...625-in/3608974

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:40 AM   #5

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Falcao,

I agree with JohnB, his suggestions are much better then trying the 180 deg turn around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
... Any other suggestions for what to hold it up with in case I can't get a hold of some healthy cut trees?
Does the trailer have stabilizer jacks on the frame corners?
4x4s or 6x6s Pressure Treated lumber cut into ~12"-18" lengths stacked and placed at the 4 corners of the trailer (or under the stablizer jacks) are also good to help stabilize it.

Good luck.
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #6

SUN #9184
Thank you, JohnB and PTHutch. It's so helpful to have an arsenal of ideas to work with when the time comes to move it into place. I can't wait! (But I have to, just a little longer...)

Tags
parking, t1550