Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Introduce Yourself
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #1

SUN #1995
kathymchugh is an unknown quantity at this point
Family new to Camping

Hi my name is Kathy my husband and I just baught a Sunline 17 1/2 SB. We have 2 little girls (3 and 1 1/2 years) we are starting to get into camping with them. My husband and I camped when we were kids and loved it and now we want to enjoy it with our kids.
I am woundering if anyone can help me figure out what year camper we have. I called a local dealer and he told me the model we have was made durring '77 - '82. I do have a model # but that is all he could do for me. He did ask me what year or model our fridge is. Are you able to figure it out without that. I personally do not want to go into the camper right now, (my husband will) because we have a mouse problem. I get a little freeked out about mice. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Kathy

Old 03-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Morning Kathy,

I'd like to welcome you & your family to Sunline Owners Club, and congrats on your Sunline purchase.

If you can get the VIN# off your Sunline, send a private message to Sunline Fan and I'm sure he can tell you what year it is.

Also, if you take pictures of it and post them here, others can help too, PLUS we are just a bunch of Sunline crazy folks, and we love looking at Sunlines. We'd love to see the interior & exterior.

Sorry to hear about a mouse problem, but you can get rid of them.

This is a ver very friendly helpful group of people, so if you have "any" questions, please feel free to ask them here.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #3

SUN #1995
So I put some pictures in my photo album. I hope you will be able yo see them.
Thanks Kitty I did see a differant post about VIN's by Sunline Fan. I'll Have to see What I can find for him to help me out. If any one can tell me what SB stans for that would be nice.
Thank You.
Kathy
Old 03-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #4

SUN #349
OPIE is an unknown quantity at this point
If you look in the files section at the brochures you may be able to pick yours out by the layouts...plus you'll find out that the SB stands for "Super Bath"

1983 T1550
OPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Kathy,

IF you go to the "files" section, SunlineFan has been downloading brochures. Check the brochures from 1976 thru 1979. They show the 17 1/2SB. I believe the 1977 thru 79 brochures are in color and you might be able to identify your upholstery color. This would help you narrow down what year your Sunline is.

Did I mention that we really REALLY like to see pictures of Sunlines, so "if" you can post some, we'd really like to see them.

Kitty

Now that I have seen the color of the exterior of your Sunline, I'd say it is a 1984 or older. But, Sunline Fan should be able to tell you for sure.

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty View Post

Did I mention that we really REALLY like to see pictures of Sunlines, so "if" you can post some, we'd really like to see them.

Kitty
Well lets see if Kathy's pic link works. Finding folks pic's in their profile is not intuitive yet... Have to go hunt'in a little

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/me...albums121.html

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome Kathy and family!

Congrats on your new coach! Your family will have a lot of enjoyment from your Sunny. And you have come to the right place for any type of help on your Sunny or camping in general.

Like Kitty said, we like to hear about your camping adventures as well as any questions you have. And there is no "dumb" question here on Sunline Owners Club. So ask away.

You mentioned the fridge. If yours is still original Sunline equipment then odds are yours is a Dometic unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymchugh View Post
He did ask me what year or model our fridge is. Are you able to figure it out without that.
The reason could well have been to talk about if it needed to get the Dometic safety recall done. It is a free recall upgrade where under certain conditions the fridge could start a fire. See this post on the topic.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ines-7596.html

To see if your fridge is in the recall, see here on the Dometic site. You plug in your serial number and it tells you yes or no. See the "click here" for more info and it will direct you to a model serial number lookup

Dometic Recall Information - Dometic

If yours is on the list, as most all of ours here on the forum are, then just call any RV dealer who does Dometic fridge service, tell them you need the Domeitic fridge recall done and they will do it for free.

To find your model and serial number, most or many of then are just inside the fridge door. Here is one off of one of my Sunlines

Hope this helps and again welcome to SOC!!

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #8

SUN #1995
Thanks to everyone for the Welcome. I would like to let you all know that I contacted Sunline Fan and he has been a HUGE help. We have figured out that ours is a '78. Our fridge has been replaces with a Excellence 0555. This site is TOTALY AWSOME!!!!! And so is everyone that has helped us so far.
Thank You.
Kathy
Old 03-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Hi Kathy,

I would love to see more pictures of your Sunline. Kitty and I also have a 17 1/2SB and it is #258278. We picked it up, to fix it up. Problem is, that I haven't had a chance to even get started on it!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #10

SUN #1995
pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
Hi Kathy,

I would love to see more pictures of your Sunline. Kitty and I also have a 17 1/2SB and it is #258278. We picked it up, to fix it up. Problem is, that I haven't had a chance to even get started on it!

My husband and I only have the pictures that I have posted so far. I just put them in my profile yesterday. I noticed that you can access it under the photos tab above.
It's pretty cold out side still here so we aren't able to work on the TT to much right now. I live very close to the Wisconsin/U.P. border.
My husbands been working on the inside today. We are having an eletrical issue and also with our furnace. We have come to find out by researching on this site that we have a somewhat rare TT for the year.
Our TT is in need of some fixing up as well. We need to make new covers for the cushions, curtins, Exterior marking/tail lights (that are broken off), furnace, electrical, one of the vent covers needs to be fixed, a couple of cabnet doors need to be re-hung, an all around cleaning inside & out, we need to get a new lock for the door possibly, I'm sure the list will go on for a while.
We are hoping to have it as close to ready to camp in by the first weekend in June. We have a Big family get together planned. I'm already planning for some unexpected things to come up. When I was a kid and camped with my grandparents I remember they always did.
Our TT # is a 230178.
I'm a Stay at home mom of 2; so my job right now is to make lits of thing we need to get, and I'm trying to do as much research on this TT to put it together. We have the original manual. We just need to get all the names of the appliances and #'s from them off of it and have it available for quick referance if needed.
Keep in touch.
Kathy
Old 03-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #11

SUN #254
Galaxiedriver
Welcome and Congrats! Don't forget about the smoke and gas detectors. Very important that those are operating correctly.
www.62ford.com/registry

Galaxiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #12

SUN #1935
larry stone is an unknown quantity at this point
With such a light duty tow vehicle for a 2500+ lb trailer make sure the brakes work real good and don't try to climb any 10,000' mtns.

A used set of equilizer bars and a sway control would be the way to go also.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #13

SUN #1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry stone View Post
With such a light duty tow vehicle for a 2500+ lb trailer make sure the brakes work real good and don't try to climb any 10,000' mtns.

A used set of equilizer bars and a sway control would be the way to go also.
The Trailer weighed in at the weight station at 2345lbs. the touring model town and country is rated to pull 4600lbs. And we have the tow package with extra leif springs a bigger 3.8 leter v6 and an after market transmission cooler. It pulls really good. I pulled it home in a blizzard through 8+ in of heavy wet snow. The hitch is also a weight transfer hitch. Thankyou for info though the equilizer bars are a good idea
Old 03-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #14

SUN #1935
larry stone is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a full size 2wd chevy long wheelbase pickup truck with an auto od trans and a 4.10 limited slip rear end and I would not even try to pull 4600 pounds.

But I happen to live in an area with 1500' elevation changes and 10% grades.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #15

SUN #778
Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to SOC Kathy!
I'd say that WD bars would be a must have with a FWD TV for the sake of improved traction!
My $0.02 worth,
Roar
Old 04-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #16

SUN #1999
bennyQ is an unknown quantity at this point
There are not a lot of steep grades in wi so I think they will be ok. Everyone under estimates the minivans. The touring model has a traction control that locks both drive tires if one is spinning. Trailer brakes help too.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #17

SUN #149
nasa42a
Lightbulb

Kathy.....

Weight-distributing bars help with a lot more than drive traction. True...unless equipped with an additional friction bar, they don't help with trailer sway.

BUT..... when properly adjusted, they add greatly to the tow vehicle's stability by keeping almost 50% of the hitch weight on the tow vehicle's front wheels....which greatly aids steering and braking.

So... it's not so much an economy issue as a safety issue for your family.

Frank
nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #18

SUN #1995
Thank you to everyone for your input. We will be putting weight distribution bars on the vehical. It is one of many things on our list before our first planned trip is in June.
Thank you again.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #19

SUN #778
Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
I wasn't thinking so much about grades on the road, but there are plenty of camp grounds with some ups and downs, may be wet grass, and traction becomes an issue.
The "traction control", I believe, in a minivan does not "lock both drive tires if one is spinning". As Far as I know, the ABS just applies the brake on the spinning wheel. That is no where near as effective as a locking diff.
Roar
Old 04-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #20

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
A bit more on WD and the weight on the axles. If one tows without WD, that removes a lot of weight from the front axle and most likely overloads the rear axle.

Two concerns here. First, the rear axle in a mini-van isn't able to handle the extra weight for very long, and a breakage is inevitable.

Second, by unloading much of the normal weight from the front axle, it creates a condition where hitting the wrong bump in the road or an evasive maneuver can completely unload the front axle. Than can mean TOTAL loss of steering control plus loss of all braking power on that axle. That would surely confuse the ABS, too. Additionally, in a FWD vehicle, it can mean total loss of drive power.

And, as Viking already mentioned, loss of traction in some more normal situations even if the axle is not completely unloaded.

The same will also generally apply to smaller pickup trucks and many SUV's.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote