Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #1

SUN #7018
desertsun is an unknown quantity at this point
Spare Tire

Hello everybody, quick question on the spare tire. I have a Sunline Solaris T-264SR. I have seen that most of these trailers mount the spare on the back bumper. Mine is not. Is there any place were the spare could be hiding if not there. And if not, what is the brand of the tire, or a tire compatible with my camper. By tire I mean, rim and rubber. Thanks in advance!!

Old 02-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
If the tire is not on the back, it will physically fit in the front cargo hole or under the bed.

If not in either of those 2 places, then you may not have one unless the prior owner made a special tire holder or cable hoist under the camper.

A spare tire was an "option"

I do believe your tires are ST225/75R15 radials. Load range D as installed from Sunline. Check if that is correct.

If so you can buy a steel rim on Etrailer. See here, they offer Dexstar and I have bought them and the Dexstart was very good quality. Made in the USA. Yes believe it or not or at least they where a few years ago.

Dexstar Steel Spoke Trailer Wheel - 15" x 6" Rim - 6 on 5-1/2 - White Powder Coat Dexstar Tires and Wheels AM20532

That rim is for the for the ST225/75R15 tire.

Now the tire, it is best to have the same size and also same OD. Not all brands have the exact same OD for the same size.

What brand of tires do you have now and how old are they?

Do you know how to read the date codes? This article explains how. Scroll down it will get to the 4 digit date code.

Barry's Tire Tech

I had thought you where going on a long trip this summer, tires past 5 years old and especially ST tires can be about all they have to offer. Especially when run long and hot on long tows. A tire failure on a road trip can be a real issue, especially if it beats up the camper.

See what you have and report back. We can then get into the "what brand tires do I buy" discussion.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #3

SUN #7018
Thanks for the quick reply. I will check tommrow on the type tire I have, however, from a pic i had of the tire, I made out that it is a MAXXIS tire. I would say they are the orginal from 2004, cause this camper has close to no use
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-02-04 15.22.31.jpg (78.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #4

SUN #7018
I also had a picture of the sticker on the camper.

Says, ST225/75 R15
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140814_113334.jpg (65.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #5

SUN #7018
I did a little looking around on etrailer. i found this tire and rim combo.

what do you think of it?

Karrier ST225/75R15 Radial Trailer Tire with 15" White Wheel - 6 on 5-1/2 - Load Range D Kenda Tires and Wheels AM32664
Old 02-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #6

SUN #6172
JennyC is an unknown quantity at this point
My spare tire for my 1550 is in the back storage compartment.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
OK, we see they are Maxxis. Sunline did install that brand as standard tires in 2004. I have had 2 sets of them on the camper and 1 set on my flat deck trailer.

I will say this, those tires have internal degradation even if you cannot see it on the outside. Due to age, odds are not in your favor they will hold up once you start loading the camper and taking long hauls down the hi-way. 5 years is about it. Unless you are towing mega miles a year, most camper owners never wear out the tread, (unless an alignment issue) they age out first.

In this case, getting 5 tires of the same brand and type is the better way to go (from my experience that is). On a camper, your spare has to be fully dependable and as good as the tires on the camper. You could be out in the middle of no where, (places campers go...) and if you have a tire issue needing replacement on the main 4 tires, finding a ST trailer tire just like the ones you have can be a problem. When you install the dependable spare, it can run as good and hard as the other 3.

The valve stems need to be replaced when the tires are changed. If you are considering a tire pressure monitor on the camper (many do) you will need metal valve stems. If not metal, then for sure hi pressure stems. Hi pressure stems cost pennies above the standard ones but have a higher rating then just getting by. They look like this, see the brass stem is a good give away

Now to the brands, this is confusing in the modern day manufacturing of ST trailer tires. Even our small camper forum is filled with tire failures and which brand is best. There are sizing issues and then tire quality issued combined with under inflation and overloading. The good news is, Sunline at least sized the tires and running gear to hold up the entire camper weight. Many other brand do not. And on the the T264SR, you have tires that are also mounted on the 10,000# campers, yet you have a 8,600# GVWR. So you have the right size. Now the brand.

I myself have had tolerable luck with Maxxis, if I'm going to an ST tire. But... 5 years are it. Cracks in the treads start and they then progress faster after that. That said, I have fully converted to LT tires on my bigger camper after 3 ST tire failures that were not Maxxis, but I run the Maxxis on my 10,000# flat deck trailer which is a different application. That said, HenryJ, one of our very knowledgeable tire folks had really bad cracks on Maxxis in like less than 1 to 2 years. I was schocked when I saw them.

This Google Custom Search on SOC is a place to start to read on tires.
tires - Google Search

Tires brands are a personnel thing. The best the average camper can do on ST camper tires,

• Air them up to max cold side wall pressure.
  • Check tires pressure at the start of "every" trip. (start of every day of towing)
  • Cover the tires with white covers when not in use to help reduce sun damage.
  • Ensure there is 20% extra tire capacity per the heaviest loaded tire.
  • Do not exceed the 65mph speed rating on ST tires. Better to be at a max of 60mph.
  • Request the tire date be at least less than 1 year old when you buy them. Wait for them if needed. The longest warranty on trailer tires I have seen is 5 years from the manufacture. And many are from the date of manufacture, not sale. Yes a dealer can sell you a 2 or 4 year old tire as new and it is very legal to do so. Just your warranty can partly gone the day you rolled they are installed. If you request less than 1 year, you have better odds of getting them. If you do not ask, it can be pure luck some times to get fresh tires.
  • Check the tire warranty from the manufacture, when does it start and how long it is?
  • Buy a brand you trust and or the dealer selling them to you.

Many camper folks who you use ST tires consider these brands

Maxxis ST Radial M8008 | Maxxis USA

Goodyear Marathon - Go to the Marathon link Goodyear RV Tires – Tire Selector

The "new" Carlise improved second generation Radial Trail RH Carlisle Transportation Products

And sadly, none of them are made in the USA nor any other ST trailer tire. All the brands above have gone in and out of issues over the years. When researching see what year they are talking about. Good Year use to make them in North America, then went overseas and that was a big problem, they pulled the production back for a while and I believe are now once again off shore after fixing the quality issues. The older Carlisle had a long list of issues. The new redesigned tire is a lot better. Your 2004 Maxxis may have been made in China as they had a stint doing that. They are now in Thailand.

When you get more confused on your research..., post back and we will try and help.

Hope this helps.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote