Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #1

SUN #1100
sandbanksdix is an unknown quantity at this point
slide gap on T-286 SR

My 2006 Sunline Solaris T-286 (new to me last summer) has a 1.5 inch gap all the way along its top when it is fully opened. Rain, bugs, wind come right into my trailer.
The place where I bought it adjusted the outside bolts, and got the upper forward corner a bit better, but still the upper rearward corner has a gap running to the center, and it is down and slanting inward. The sides are both tight to the walls.
The outside of the slide now has rub marks on its upper rearward corner from this latest adjustment. Has anyone ever added a rubber gasket all along the top of the slide so that it seals to the trailer?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lorraine.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbanksdix View Post
My 2006 Sunline Solaris T-286 (new to me last summer) has a 1.5 inch gap all the way along its top when it is fully opened. Rain, bugs, wind come right into my trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbanksdix View Post

The place where I bought it adjusted the outside bolts, and got the upper forward corner a bit better, but still the upper rearward corner has a gap running to the center, and it is down and slanting inward. The sides are both tight to the walls.
The outside of the slide now has rub marks on its upper rearward corner from this latest adjustment. Has anyone ever added a rubber gasket all along the top of the slide so that it seals to the trailer?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lorraine.
Hi Lorraine

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club!!

Now to your slide….. what you are describing is not right for sure. And by your asking about a rubber seal it sounds like something is missing, like the rubber seal itself.

Mine is a 2004 unit and while is a 2006 and made a little different, these same things should exist or are missing on yours.

Any chance you can take some pictures of yours and post? We can see what you have and do not have.

Here is a shot with the slide in. See on the left a long silver angle the full length of the slide. That angel makes contact with the black rubber seal when the slide is fully extended.

You can see here the rubber seal on the side and top.

This is the top seal from looking on the outside, it is a 2 part seal. Seals when closed and open

OK what is missing on yours? If you have 1 ½” opening full length on top, for sure something is not like it should be.

Pics of you’re here can really help.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #3

SUN #1100
John:
Thanks for your quick respond...I am not at the trailer right now, but am posting some photos I took last year and this year. One of the repair people the dealer sent to me last year put a piece of blue styrofoam in front of that long silver angle, and said maybe a piece of foam attached at that area would work.
Otherwise our slides seem to operate similarly.
Lorraine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top of slide.jpg (51.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg gap rearward.jpg (26.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4258.jpg (34.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg scraping damage.jpg (33.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg gap forward.jpg (27.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #4

SUN #67
264SRinPA
Lorraine,

In that last picture, is the slide all the way out?
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #5

SUN #1100
Hi Mike and Roz:
In all the pictures, (except the one with the styrofoam), the slide is all the way out.
Lorraine.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #6

SUN #67
264SRinPA
If both ends are tight against the wall and there is a gap in the middle at the top, then something isn't straight. If it's the trailer wall then there isn't anything you can do to fix it. But the metal angle in front of the blue foam can be moved to make a good seal. It's not a real hard fix, but the hard part is there isn't a lot of room between the slide and the ceiling to work.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #7

SUN #89
OK good you have pics. Great!

Something still not adding up just yet.

You said in the pics the slide was all the way out. Confirm this, when the slide was all the way out did the top front and rear corners of the “inside” of the slide touch the wall?

Like this: This is the top touching the white wall and no room to get anything between the 2.

If there is a gap at the top on the side, then that can lead to a slide adjustment in the mechanism.

If the slide is dead tight to the wall but you have a large gap in the middle, then like Mike said it points to a warp.

How to tell if the wall is warped or the slide, get a piece of string and hold pulled tight along the length of the wall only touching at the ends. Something this gross of a problem should jump out at you.

If the wall is warped out, what happens when the slide if brought in? If it is bellied out the slide would have to push the wall in in order for the slid to go in. and it may just be. Check the next time at the camper.

See here in the progression of the slide coming in. The top touches first on purpose but it should be straight all the way, not a heavy touch in the center.

The the top actually touches and the bottom starts to follow and the slide pops up off the carpet.

And when full in, the top is dead tight.

If the wall is bowed out, you should be/could be having sealing issues when it closes.

If the slide itself is some how warped, which I can not figure out how unless it was made wrong, that is more complex to fix. Inside pull the string down along the top of the slide when it is extended and retracted, is it straight or warped?

The string test should help point to what is warped if something is warped.

Hope this helps

John

Old 05-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #8

SUN #1100
John:
Thanks for the tips...I will be going to the trailer park tomorrow for the weekend, and will do the string test.
And take more pics.
Lorraine.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #9

SUN #89
Hi Lorraine.

While your out looking, measuring and taking pic’s here are some things to look for to see if these are correct.

You can tell a lot about how the slide is adjusted by the way outer edge of the slide molding flange fits into the camper wall flange when looking from the outside with the slide all the way in.

Here are some things to check and take pic’s of.

This is all when the slide is fully closed.

Look at the top of the slide, all along the top. When looking full front to back of the camper, there is a gap between the top of the slide outer flange and the camper wall flange. You can see it in this pic. That gap along the top what is it and is it fairly even the full length of the camper?

And look at the gap going up and down, bottom to top of sldie on the front and rear ends of the slide. What is that gap and is it even full up to full down both frot and rear?

This pic is just of one end but look the entire length. The top gap tells us if they have the vertical height set correct. The side gaps should follow the state of the top. If the top is true even then the front and rear vertical gap shoujld be even as well. And visa verses. If the top is not even, odds are the front and rear are not.

Then there is how tight is the slide touching along the full along the top length from to back, up and down the front end of the slide and up and down the back end of the slide.

If one corner is sticking out, that tells of an adjustment problem in the closing length.

Then when the slide is fully extended, go inside and look up and down the front and rear slide end how it mates to the wall. It should be touching full vertical height both front and rear side.

I do not have an exact pic of the front and back full up and down but this pic shows the action of the system that should be starting to occur.

The slide in this pic is “almost” all the way extended. The top should touch the wall with no space then the bottom gap you see here will close up and touch the wall as the slide reaches final extend travel.

There are only a few adjustments one can make to the slide travel mechanism. And the in adjustments do interact with the out (extend) adjustments. The 1st thing to figure out is do they have the slide adjusted right and if so then what has moved since the camper was built.

Good luck and happy camping this weekend. We are going out as well.

John

Old 05-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #10

SUN #1100
Hi John:
Hope you had a lovely weekend...weather here is beautiful.
I took more pics of problem, but because the slide scrapes at upper left when it is employed, I didn't want to bring it into the trailer.
I did the string trick on the upper wall above the slide , and there is a 1/4" gap in the center, but both sides are taut. Maybe the trailer's side is warped outward...I wonder if the previous owner had this gap, and then just traded it in? And shouldn't the dealer have seen it before accepting it as a trade-in?
Lorraine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left side tight against wall.jpg (36.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg left top open.jpg (42.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg right side tight against wall.jpg (28.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg gap from back looking forward.jpg (25.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg left side getting warped!.jpg (22.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #11

SUN #67
264SRinPA
I think your slide is just way out of adjustment. Maybe another dealer would do a better job getting the adjustment right.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #12

SUN #89
Hi Lorraine

Yes camping was very good. Way too short.... and we stayed an extra day.

Your pics and the mention about the slide scraping when it travels points to the slide not being in the correct place.

I did not see any pics of the slide being closed on the outside, only pics of the problem inside. Did you get a chance to take any of the outside when it was closed and how the slide fits to the trailer when closed?

The way these slides are made is sort of like this.

There is a lower slide mechanism that is inserted into the trailer frame. Part of it looks like this

There are 2 arms so to speak that extend out from the trailer frame that support the outside wall of the slide. One arm has a motor drive and screw mechanism that powers that extension arm out. The 2nd arm is slave driven by gears and a cross shaft from the 1st powered arm. And on the ends of the extending arms are vertical support plates that attach to the slide walls.

You can see here one of the arms and it attaching to the slide wall.

Here is mine apart this spring to fix the floor. You can see the metal support attaching to the outer wall.

There are only so many adjustments that can be made in the slide mechanism and about 90% of them deal with the slide closing to the side of the trailer properly and in the correct place. They basically adjust the slide properly to fit closed. When closed and positioned where it should be, then the slide being open starts to fall in place. If closed is not correct, the slide being open will never come into adjustment correct.

Sunline makes the actual slide room so that when it extends, it seats in place where it should be. There is an adjustment to stop the entire slide room moving out further but that is the only true out adjustment that does not interact with a slide closed adjustment.

The rest of the slide mechanism adjustments, fit for up/down vertical, front being tighter then back when closed, the entire wall scraping (left to right), The actual tilt of the slide to the side of the camper, how tight the slide is drawn in are part are of the actual closed position adjustments. The slide room is physically built to the size that when extended it will fit from where it started from in the closed position all the way to the extended position and mate with the wall.

Point being, before we can figure out what is not right with the slide being open and sealing on the top, we need to make sure they have it adjusted correct when it is closed and for sure it should not be scraping going in and out. Sooner or later it will rip out the slide seal doing that.

If you want to try and do some trouble shooting to at least see what is wrong, I can explain this but it does start with what I asked for in the 5-27 reply about the slide being closed. That is a starting point. I’m willing to type more if it will help and put it all in one post.

I do agree with Mike, the slide itself does seems out of adjustment as the 1st course of the problem verses being built wrong. But I can’t tell until we know more about how it closes. The error will show in the closed position.

Hope this helps. I will says this, what you have is fixable. Just need to find the right folks to do the fixing. The addition of the foam board behind the top angle iron should not of been needed. I do not seeing it hurt anything but it would not fix the problem if the slide is not adjusted right.

John