Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #1

SUN #303
happycamper
Send a message via AIM to happycamper
Siding question and should I invest or replace

Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I have checked in. Do love this club and its forums. We have a 2007 264SR. We love our trailer. Have made a few mods with help from this site and it is comfy. So here come my questions. I hope I have these in the correct forum.

I have noticed the front of the camper looks like the fiberglass has separated? a little from the wall. There is a little play if you push on it. The dealer has checked the roof and seams and said there are no issues, I have no sign of water damage any where. Is it normal for this to happen?? Should I be worried?

If the above is ok here are the next few questions. My wife and I would like to travel the country in the next few years We live in MA and would love to cross country. We have looked at new RV's and really don't see the quality we have in our Sunny. So would it be crazy to invest in our 264SR and keep it. Just buy a new tow vehicle. By invest I mean new roof and a power jack. Or would starting over be a better idea.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:57 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Jim and Kathy,

I would question the front of the camper fiberglass. It might be just the glue let go in a dry state or it let go due to a wet issue. For $40 you can buy a moisture meter and probe the entire area. Start inside the camper at the ceiling and follow the entire front wall down to the floor. And even under the camper on the black Darco waterproof membrane. Especially over the fiberglass separation area inside the camper. Open up the bed room top cabinets and get in this area on the ceiling and the wall at the side in those cabinets. You cannot always see a water infection in the wall inside the camper. By the time you see it inside the camper, a year or more may have passed with water in the wall. But the moisture meter can see through the wall and find wet inside that you cannot see.

See this post. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...per-17613.html

And this post. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ime-17758.html

After you probe the front wall, the front side walls, you can check a lot of other areas in the camper for a water issue. The 4 corners at the roof line are your first suspect area. If the camper comes up dry, great! If it comes up wet then you need to learn more about that area to make a decision on what to do.

It just happens we have a 2006 T264SR roof replacement thread. This camper had no signs of water inside at all. And it was aluminum siding so there was no delam of fiberglass to see. But we had 3 wet corners. At the time we were not as completely educated in the moisture meter like we are now and we missed some. This camper has now been fixed and my son invested in eternabonding all the roof seams to increase the resistance to a water infection. This camper will now last him as long as he wants it. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...avy-16834.html

This is the Eternabonding process I'm referring too. I did it to mine back in 2010. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ics-11610.html

The 2007 camper you have now is one great camper. Your right, there is not much out there that compares to it. At this point you do not know the status of a possible leak. If you get the meter, you can help sort this out and then base your decision on actual findings. And even if you find a leak, that does no mean the end of the world just yet. Before we go down the repair process, try and see if you have a problem.

To the roof, we need to see the condition it is in to help better. Any chance of pics of the roof condition and the caulking? Did you own the camper since new? If the rubber is in really good shape, then there is the caulk. The caulk may need some help and replacement. The caulk is not a lot of cost. And if you really want to keep the camper a long time, consider the Eternabond upgrade "after" you know the roof is good, the caulk is all good/fixed and the camper is dry.

Are you handy with wood tools and able to do some of these repairs yourself? Doing a what my son and I did to his T264SR may not be for everyone. But if you can, anything in your camper can be repaired.

Have you considered how long you want to stay with this camper? In years that is. If you plan for a good amount if years to keep it , your camper is new enough you can do some maintenance corrections in the next few years on seam sealing and reset the sealing tape degradation time clock.

And I will pass along one thing to consider if you want to do long term travel. Consider reinforcing your spring hangers where the attach to the I beam frame. Across the RV industry there has been a problem with the flexing of of the hangers on these type of I beam frames. They crack the web of the I beam from flexing. Some folks have lucked out and not had the issue, yet. Others have had it and had to fix it. Best is, knowing about it and get them reinforced before the crack. This is not a real big job to do as a preventative action but will show it's ugly head if you start putting a lot go long distance travel on the camper if it is not fixed.

We too are somewhat in the same boat you are. We have a 2004 camper but this camper I know everything about it. The roof is in great shape, and I have fixed about everything there is (I hope...) and some of those repairs have been extensive and beyond what most would of kept. But it is still one sound camper still and in great shape. There is just nothing out there new right now that we feel will equal or be better then what we have now. So for now, we keep maintaining it, enjoying it and kicking the can down the road a good number of years more before we have to change the camper.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #3

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Considering all the 80's vintage Sunlines being fixed up and camped in, I'd say we who have newer Sunlines have a lot of happy camping seasons coming!
Rich
vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote