Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #1

SUN #824
jpspaz
Bumper bike rack

Just came back from a week long trip to the Jersey shore and purchased a bike rack for attachement to the rear bumper before we left. It seemed to be a strong enough bumper and there used to be a sticker on the rear of the trailer saying 200lbs max (I think). Anyway, after I installed it and loaded the bikes on I felt there was a lot of torque on the bumper itself and some of those bumpy roads in NY might put undue stress on it. Well we drove for about 45 minutes before stopping to meet up with friends. I checked out the bumper and the mounting plates were bending and pulling away from the bumper. They are welded to the bumper on the sides only, not the top and bottom. Well I took the whole thing off in fear that I might rip the bumper off. I was looking at other trailers at the campground and saw many with a 2" receiver mounted below the bumper directly to the frame with a hidden hitch type design you would see on most passenger vehicles. Has anyone seen a product like this on the market for RVs?

Old 08-17-2010, 06:49 AM   #2

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
I have a 2007 Sunline and that tag said 100lbs max on mine so it's quite likely your was the same. Much conversation has transpired on the subject of a bike rack for the sunline. This continues to be an issue some have solved with custom adaptaion of one form or another. I mself feel that if I were to want my bike along a reciever could be mounted using the actual frame itself as a mounting point...with appropriate brackets to add necessary support. As far as a ready to use product I will be watching for others to reply if such a setup is now available ready to simply attach and use on our Sunline. What part of CT are you from? I live in the Northeast corner.

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:01 AM   #3

SUN #824
jpspaz
Okay well than maybe it was a little more than 100 lbs but it was the top heavy torque that was the issue. If I could find a bolt on hitch that was wide enough to attach to the steel I beams on each side of the frame that should solve my problem. I just don't know if such a product exists or if I'd have to try to find a passenger car one that fit the dimensions. I also saw some interesting racks that bolted to the front of the trailer between the car and trailer. The bikes were over the propane tanks.
We are in the same general area, north and east of Hartford off 84.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #4

SUN #67
264SRinPA
Here you go RV Hitches : The Hitch Store
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi JP

Hauling bikes can be an issue. Between different camper and TV's I have tried 3 locations and found this last one to be the best for me.

See here for the complete post. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...10sr-9554.html

While I made my own mount and from a standard Swagmen rack, Top Rails makes this entire setup.

A caution on the back of the TT. For sure if you are going this way, mount a receiver direct to the frame of the camper. And use a bike rack that holds the bike by the tires. The top hanger ones create a lot of lever effect. Bikes on the back of a TT take a lot of bounce. The are many feet away from the rear axle with no shocks on the TT. In a TV receiver they ride well as the truck is not bouncing so hard in the back like the TT. And run a cable thru then to the frame of the TT in case they get loose, you are at least dragging them verses leaving one on the road.

I also had a front bike rack on my K2500 Suburban. Heads up do not go any more then 2 bikes as they block the radiator and cooling can be an issue on 3 or more.

Issue up front are dealing with bike tires and headlights. I had to rework the bike rack to drop the tires below the headlights. And after doing this mod I later read about directional control lighting laws. I could never get an exact answer but if I kept the setup much longer I may of added aux. turn signals to stay legal.

If you have a PU truck, PTHutch made a rack in the truck bed above the bed right behind the cab. His tono cover allowed that and my tilting tono would not. His route worked very well and the bike rode well. It is the link above with pics to my bike rack

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:43 AM   #6

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have a pickup truck and carry a canoe or kayak, this post may have some useful ideas for you.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ics-10462.html

Down near the end of the post you'll find the bike rack info. FWIW, I had worked out a way to carry the bikes in this position without the canoe. If you're interested, let me know and I will post my ideas on that here.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #7

SUN #824
jpspaz
I like the idea of mounting them up in front, but already spent the $175 on the trailer hitch type. In looking at the stuff from The Hitch Store posted above, they have the product I was looking for that bolts directly too the frame, but I still don't know how secure it will be. The rear of the trailer does bounce a lot as said.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #8

SUN #824
jpspaz
John I just looked at your other post. What is that a gutter system on your trailer??
Old 08-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #9

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
John I just looked at your other post. What is that a gutter system on your trailer??

Ah the down spouts. For more see here

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...outs-8763.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...oach-8073.html

Both of my Sunlines had/have the rear living room layout. We like the big rear picture window. Sunline on both layouts did not shift the awning to the back of the camper. So during a rain you would get drenched with water flying out the gutter rail spout up on the roof trying to get in or out the entry door. That is what prompted the down spouts in the beggining.

It also helps keep that heavy roof water from running down the side of the camper pouring onto the clearance lights, cargo doors, corner joints of anything else below it trying to work it’s water into the camper. When we acquired the T310SR the down spouts where one of the first series of mod's added that we had on the T2499.

I have a buddy in VA who saw them and made some up for his Regal TT. He used plastic electrical conduit in place of the house gutter down spout. There are pros and cons to both. I like the house version as it is bigger and nothing gets clogged in it, at least yet anyway. Pine needles and such go right thru. Since they live outside on a house all the time I assume they have some kind of UV stabilizer in them. I put 303 UV protection on the outside any way.

Good luck with the bike rack

John

Old 08-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #10

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
I like the idea of mounting them up in front, but already spent the $175 on the trailer hitch type. In looking at the stuff from The Hitch Store posted above, they have the product I was looking for that bolts directly too the frame, but I still don't know how secure it will be. The rear of the trailer does bounce a lot as said.

Did you buy the hanging type bike rack, holds bikes by the cross bar up top or the kind that holds the bikes by the tires?

I have had both. And the tire holding ones put less stress into the whole situation. The top hanging one acts like a big lever magnifying the bounce. I had a negative experience with the top hanging rack on the back of the TT so I ended up giving it to my son to use on the back of his S10 Jimmy. And ever since I never attempted another rear TT mount.

Hauling bikes can be a real issue pending the TV you have. They are great to have on camping trip so we deal with the issues.

I do know some have made a stand up bike rack to go inside the camper. My floor plan with a slide ail not allow this and the fact of the nice cabinets in there I’m fearful of getting them messed up even with a blanket over them.

As you work through your options, here is another one. Maybe sell the rack you have now on Criegs List and apply the $$ to the next generation system for you. I know a lot of people have racks on the back of the camper and then only ones that have a chance of surviving are the ones that receiver mount to the frame. The next best is to have one that holds by the tires as if you ever see one riding down the road with a top hanger, you may quickly come to the same conclusion I have.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Old 08-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #11

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodoleBob View Post
I have a 2007 Sunline and that tag said 100lbs max on mine so it's quite likely your was the same. ...
Bob
Uh-oh, I needed a spare so I told the RV shop to mount it to a rear bumper carrier and install it on my 2653. Did I screw up?

Teach
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #12

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Wright,

No, a rear bumper carrier is very common and OK for these. Just don't put any other heavy accessories on the bumper. A removable clothesline from Camco is perfectly fine too, because it weighs almost nothing.

One thing worthy of mentioning is if they installed the carrier right in the center, move it over to the right side, but still just clear of the taillight (and then it won't obstruct a license plate). When you go down the road, it will bounce up and down and twist the bumper, which can break the welds at the mounting points. Putting it to one side eliminates a lot of this twisting. Moving it is pretty simple, I think the nuts are 9/16 if memory serves and you can just loosen them up and slide it over. It is easier to do with the tire off, but be prepared to put it back up temporarily to make sure it clears the light's view.

I also picked up on the carrier as I tightened it, so the tire would be farther away from the ground so the tire wouldn't have the possibility to hit somewhere.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #13

SUN #3717
Davis is an unknown quantity at this point
This might be the site you are looking for. They actually have all kind of hitches, hidden hitch included.
Trailer Hitches - 5th Wheel Hitch - Gooseneck Hitch - Reese Hitch