Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #1

SUN #303
happycamper
Send a message via AIM to happycamper
Break Away cable

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question. I accidentally pulled out the breakaway the other day. I plugged it back in and it clicked into place. Do I need to worry about this? I think it is OK but just wanted to check.

Thanks,
Jim

happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
That's all you need to do. It works similarly to a kill switch on a boat, only when this one comes apart it applies the trailer brakes instead of killing the engine.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:03 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Jim,

Well, first of all, I have a question for you. Did you have a battery connected at the time? If you didn't, then there's nothing to worry about. But, if you did, then you may have some trouble. We actually were just talking about that this past weekend at the M&G. I really don't know if pulling that would do any damage, but I do know I've heard it can. I'm not sure to what though, the little box or the brakes themselves. I'm thinking that the only reason damage would occur would be if you pulled that all the time, so once probably didn't hurt anything.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #4

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Jon and Jim: The breakaway "box" is just a switch. The damage would be to the brakes/tires, which are applied if the battery is connected and the switch is pulled out, and you tried to pull the trailer. It's the same thing as if you manually applied the brakes from your controller and tried to pull the trailer.

I'm not sure about the trailer type switch, but I know people who routinely pull the "kill" switches on their outboards/pwcs and have never had a problem damaging the switch itself.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Break Away cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper
I have a quick question. I accidentally pulled out the breakaway the other day. I plugged it back in and it clicked into place. Do I need to worry about this? I think it is OK but just wanted to check.
Jim, some TT & FW manufacturers recommend that you test the breakaway from time to time by pulling the pin - maybe a couple of times a year. Just remember to put it back in right away so you don't kill your battery.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:02 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I know this is an older post, but I’ll chime in to add to what Steve did to maybe helps others.

A few things:

1. You DO want to test this breakaway switch from time to time. Every 6 months is not too much, actually 4 times a season is better. Some have a little rubber O ring in them to keep the water out that gets really stuck in bad sometimes and it pulls really hard the first time. Then the next times it is easier, until time ticks away again and it starts all over again. I put silicon spray on mine to keep the O’ring from over swelling and sticking. I have heard and can believe, that some of these plastic tipped ones, that if they are not tested often get so stuck in that they rip the plastic end off when pulled and never pull out the switch.

2. Most brands recommend replacing the switch every 5 years. Assuming it is a corrosion problem.

3. Now to the danger on pulling the switch. Well depending on how you do it there can be some damage to your TV brake controller. DO NOT test the break away while the 7 wire is plugged into the truck. By puling the breakaway, it puts a full 12 volts plus and into the brake wires and applies full brake power and won’t stop until the switch is replaced, the battery unhooked or the battery goes dead. This voltage can back feed into your brake controller and do it damage. Unless you know for sure that your brake controller has a high power diode or other form of self back feed protection, unhook the truck 7 wire first.

4. Like Steve said, do not leave the breakaway pulled from a long time. Activating the switch applies full power to the brakes and will over time drain the battery or may over heat the brake coils pending how old or style you have. The coils are not made for 100% continuous duty cycle. Now how long is too long. Well when you are sitting at a red light and your foot is the brake, pending your brake controller, a lot of brake controllers still put out power to hold the TT. You could be there few minutes pending the traffic light. This happens all the time. So a long time means like many minutes of time. Like 5 to 10 minutes. This is way more then you ever need to do the test.

5. If you want to fiddle with the switch to un-stick a stuck one, just unhook the battery first and 7wire plug from the truck, then it can be out all day long and not hurt anything.

6. Now how to test if the brakes and switch actually do something. Here is one method that I use. Just because the switch is pulled out does not mean the contacts are not corroded from actually working.

On level ground, and ideally gravel, hook up TT and truck the normal way with the WD hitch etc. BUT leave the 7 wire plug unconnected.

Pull the breakaway pin. Get in the truck. Put it in gear and very, very slowly just try to creep forward. You should feel the TT brakes all locked up after about the attempt of 1 to 2 inches forward movement and it not wanting to go at all. Then stop. Get out, pop the pin back in, and try to again. It should now coast free.

7. If you do this on loose gravel, a very short drag test, about 2 to 4 inches or someone spotting the wheels, you should see all 4 wheels lock or have dust piles in front of each tire. If all 4 are not locking, (that is if you have 4 wheels, on single axle, only look for 2 wheels ) then you have a brake problem that needs to get fixed. NOTE: If the breakaway fails this test, hook up the 7 wire and try from the brake controller to do a lock up drag test on all 4 wheels. It may not be the actual brakes as it may be the switch.

8. On electric brakes the trailer has to move forward some small amount before the brake will actually lock. The magnets only energize when standing still. When the TT rolls forward the linkage magnetically coupled then mechanically engages the brakes.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:25 PM   #7

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks John for your response. I need to test mine soon, but my biggest problem is finding some gravel lot other than a main road.

When I was replacing a center cap on my LF wheel today, I saw something hanging out of the little hole on the drum. I pulled a little and more came. I went and grabbed a screwdriver and come to find out, it was part of an old nest of some sort! I couldn't imagine it was a bird as the hole is so small, but perhaps it was something else. I'll bet that brake worked great before! I never noticed more of a pull to the right, so maybe it didn't affect it.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote