Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #1

SUN #824
jpspaz
brake replacement

I'm about to yank the wheels off my Sunline and feel that the brakes will probably need to be replaced. They've never been done. I did a search through the forum because I remember seeing a post with step by step and really good photos but I could not locate it. Anyone remember this? I'm also about to hit the road in less than two weeks and as I type this I'm wondering if I should maybe just wait until I get back in case I run into a parts supply problem. I'm running 12" Al-ko axles. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 AM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Over in the Files area under Sunline Axles is the full Al-Ko manual which contains good instructions on brake service and/or replacement and all the part numbers.

You can also go to AL-KO Kober - full line axle and brake manufacturer and if you select your axle from the choices on the left, you'll get a .pdf containing a complete parts break-down with part numbers.

FWIW, my '99 still has the original brake shoes and magnets. Unless you have put an awful lot of miles on your trailer, I expect you will find that the brakes will just need adjustment and lubrication. There are a couple of places in the drum brake assemblies that it is recommended that you apply a bit of lube; primarily the adjuster mechanism and any mechanical pivot points.

The Al-Ko manual has maintenance instructions as well.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 AM   #3

SUN #597
henryj
I agree that you're very unlikely to need to replace brakes. We have close to 30,000 mi. on ours and I believe Emam had 60,000 on his.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #4

SUN #824
jpspaz
I have the Al-Ko manual in paper and PDF format but I was looking for something with good pictures. We don't do a lot of miles so maybe they'll be fine. I'll just repack the bearings then.

I just went out to the trailer and found evidence that a mouse had been in there. I was disgusted. I've never had a mouse in all the years we've owned it. So I began a search to see where it might have gotten inside but I'm stumped. Everything was closed up tight. I'm wondering if there was a gap in the slide out the last time I had it open and it got in that way.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
I'm wondering if there was a gap in the slide out the last time I had it open and it got in that way.
Have you ever pulled the trailer in the rain?

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #6

SUN #824
jpspaz
Not usually, but I have been caught in the rain before. Why?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #7

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a problem with mine where they installed the seal plate on the bottom of the slide floor too far out, so it wasn't contacting with the seal. There's a few others on here who have had that problem as well.

If that plate is way out, just about anything can get in there. I think I could get my hand in there if I were flexible enough. I pulled mine in pouring rain and very wet roads and water was coming in there like crazy, I probably had a couple gallons if I could collect it all.

The reason I asked if you had pulled it in the rain is that if the plate was not sealing, you would know for sure because the floor inside would be incredibly wet and you'd have water everywhere.

I'd still give it a quick look. When the slide is in, there should be a piece of galvanized angle extrusion going down the length of the slide underneath, and it will push up against a rubber seal on the trailer. If it isn't, that's probably the source. A mouse could get up the tire and squeeze in there easily.

To fix it, you just need to take that angle extrusion off and move it to a location you can see would cause it to push up against with some pressure. Probably would be a good idea to draw a line based on the old location to ensure it goes on straight. Then just make sure to fill the holes with screws. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to use some putty tape on the mounting edge of that extrusion to prevent water from going in. Silicone wouldn't be a good idea there because the plate will flex when it seals, which will break the silicone bead after only a few times of in/out.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #8

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
I have the Al-Ko manual in paper and PDF format but I was looking for something with good pictures. We don't do a lot of miles so maybe they'll be fine. I'll just repack the bearings then.
Since you'll have the drums off anyway, I still suggest that you do the lube on the brake star adjusters and the pivot points. I did mine last summer, and it made a world of difference in getting all four brakes adjusted equally. The ease of turning the star alone was totally worth it.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #9

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Jpspaz

See this link to a Sunline having brakes cleaned up and repacked. You may have seen that link on the site here as I have linked it before. I never made it around to updating and posting it on here. Those are 10" Dexter brakes but I use to have 12" Alko on my T310SR. Now have 12" Dexter self adjusting. The concepts of 10 or 12” are the same.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Annual Brake Inspection and Axle Re - Lube (Pic's)

And if you want more pic see here: http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ail-10704.html

Words of wizdom to pass along: Buy ONLY double lip grease seals. Do not mess with the single lip. The double lip will have a garter spring inside. Cost about $1 to $2 more. The standard Alko seal in yours is most likely a single lip unless someone upgraded it.

When adjusting, tweak all 4 with a drag test to all brakes applying equal at the same time. Once you tweak in the yard, then on the 1st trip out, feel each hub for heat. If you have a hot one, odds are that one is set tighter then the rest and trying to stop the entire camper while the others do not do much of the work. All you need to do is crawl under and undo 2 clicks and tow again and feel for heat. The next time you stop it may move to another wheel. Key is all 4 are the same range of heat. And it is good to always check for heat often.

And lastly, figure out and memorize or write it down which direction to tweak the adjuster to loosen and tighten. When tweaking after it is all put together you need to know which way to turn each adjuster.

Good luck.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:09 AM   #10

SUN #824
jpspaz
All good advice guys, thanks. As for the slide out, Sunline Fan, I've never had that problem, but I'll check under there anyway. Would entering the fridge vent or furnace exhaust pipe allow access to the inside of the trailer? Both of those are big enough for a mouse, but the fridge space looks enclosed underneath with the exception of the pipe that goes up to the roof vent. As for the furnace, I can't really see in there to well.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #11

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
The furnace: If the mouse went in there, there are 2 paths.

1. The furnace exhaust port. The center of that pipe goes into the heat chamber and that is all steel and no entry to the inside of the camper. Odds here, I would say no.

2. If he snuck around the exhaust pipe and then into the cabinet, there is a red vinyl ring or boot so to speak that the gas line comes thru to line up with the gas valve. He would have to eat thru the vinyl and then he is in and has free rein in the camper. To confirm that is the spot, take out the 4 screws in the outside furnace cover and you can see that red vinyl boot where the gas line come thru. It normally only has a 3/8” OD hole in for the gas pipe. If it is all eaten up, well that is one location. I bought one of those stainless screens to keep bees out of there. Never thought about a mouse but the screen would keep the mouse out if he could weasel in that way.

The fridge, h’mm. I have never had the fridge out of the hole but by eye on the outside the back compartment is pretty sealed up. But that does not mean a little varmint can’t work his way in. They also make screens to go over the vents on the fridge outside access panel. Again targeted for bees but would slow down a mouse.

Have you crawled under the camper and looked up? Low point drains, the water fill hose, the fresh water pump suction hose, the power cable chase where the heavy Red battery wire goes up into the convertor area any pipes or wire that go up into the floor. Any tears in the black Darco vapor barrier to allow him to get in and run to different areas?

And a remote possible but no impossible, the hot water heater. There is a rubber boot that seals the gas line to the front face of the HW heater. If the boot is popped off or eaten thru, then he is in assuming he somehow got into the outer compartment.

And the slide, you have a 2006 vintage. The slide to camper seals on the bottom are made better/tighter then my 2004. But if there is an area of open, it is on the bottom front or back corner that is sort of filled in with rubber. It is the area that creates the 90 degree cornet of the floor to the vertical side wall of the slide. That could be a suspect if the rubber was ripped.

A mouse on the loose, I agree they can make a heck of a mess in short order. And pray you never get a red squirrel. Never had any rodents yet in the camper but had them in the farm house…. ERRRR

Good luck and let us know what you find. Want to make darn sure I do not have that issue.

John

PS Was the slide extended when he got it? Again those 2 lower corners are suspect open or closed slide

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:19 AM   #12

SUN #824
jpspaz
The slide was actually in. Plus I checked that lower flange and it seems to be in perfect order and installed correctly. I also found his exit point.It seems that he climbed through an opening in the sidewall around some wiring near the water pump. I'm guessing that he couldn't find his way out and he chewed a hole through the black vapor barrier and whatever else. It's on the curbside just behind the rear wheels. It seems like a flimsy barrier to me though. I was kind of surprised. If I took my fist I could probably punch holes all in it. There seemed to be no support on the other side.

Anyway, as for the entry point I'm guessing it was the fridge vent. There were some droppings in there when I pulled the cover off so he must have gone in there and found access to the inside of the camper. I took some screen i had and lined the inside of the vent door. I hope this never happens again.