Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-11-2016, 04:53 AM   #41

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Nope, not that either. Last night we took both his Expedition and my Explorer out to where the trailer is stored at a friend's farm (too big for my son's driveway)

Get this: for fun we hooked the 7, 601 lb TT up to my Explorer, My specs claim that I max out at 5,000 lbs and we knew that right from the start. Doing everything slowly and delicately we lowered the tongue on the receiver. It dropped about 4 1/4 inches. Then we engaged the weight distribution (it's pretty difficult to install them upside-down) That leveled things out to somewhat acceptable.

Being out on country paved road we decided to take it for a spin, about a mile or so to a local baseball park. Ya, it was heavy. I certainly felt it but it towed just fine. We agreed I could tow it as a local shuttle but not on any highway for sure.

With that curiosity out of the way, we hooked back up to his Expedition. and there she sank again and never sank when he first bought the TT.

He read on other forums where the Ford factory air bags are not all that great for hauling, especially for maintaining heavy weights. We know a bit about suspension stuff but not enough to claim all the answers.

We also know that springs and struts need to be replaced after specified higher mileages and he heard that some airbag owners have dumped airbag all together and went to spring and strut.

The real question is: while my Explorer is too small and under-rated why does it sit sort of level and yet his Expedition, which is designed and capable of this load, actually sinks?

BTW the pics of his saggy rear end is on his cell phone. These pics are on my cell phone

Any input would be appreciated.
Holy crap !!! my Explorer hauled a 29footer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160810_202357[1].jpg (81.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20160810_202341[1].jpg (86.8 KB, 7 views)

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #42

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 08 Expedition EL. No problems but I did pay to have hitch installed. I think there was a procedure to install the WD hitch but I didn't pay attention. Maybe the owner's manual will tell you the steps for installation.

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #43

SUN #6257
Since this problem just popped up a couple of weeks ago, we're leaning towards a POSSIBLE leaky airbag, according to one of our local spring shops. Up here they're $800 each. Nah.

I think he's going to go camping on back-up plan, using the old tent and camping gear. Then when they get back he can take his time and consider an aftermarket combo spring and strut/shock system. There's a few brand names like Monroe and some performance names.

We've used weight distribution systems over the years, so we're very familiar with them, on his vehicle and mine. LOL even had one on my old 1990 Aerostar and it worked great. Remember it towed great before, only recently things started to sag.

Jerry & Debbie
Old 08-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #44

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Everyone with first gen Navigators eventually has problems with their airbag system, due to minimal vehicle value at this point and high repair cost, many people just convert the air bag system to coil springs.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #45

SUN #6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Everyone with first gen Navigators eventually has problems with their airbag system, due to minimal vehicle value at this point and high repair cost, many people just convert the air bag system to coil springs.
His is a 2010 Expedition not a Navigator, but I'm sure they're not that far apart GM & Ford. I'll bet moeny that the same out-soruced company makes the airbags for both. I don't know what generation his 2010 Expedition is, but he has just over 100,000 miles on it and as far as we know they're original airbags. We're guessing they're due. Nothing last forever especially those hi-tech gadgets

Jerry & Debbie
Old 08-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #46

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJ View Post
His is a 2010 Expedition not a Navigator, but I'm sure they're not that far apart GM & Ford. I'll bet money that the same out-sourced company makes the airbags for both. I don't know what generation his 2010 Expedition is, but he has just over 100,000 miles on it and as far as we know they're original airbags. We're guessing they're due. Nothing last forever especially those hi-tech gadgets
Navigator is a Lincoln model. They're both Ford products so I suspect that a very high percentage of components are identical, the airbag suspensions being no exception.

Our '11 Jeep GC Overland has the air suspension and we wonder about its useful life.It just turned 76,000 so we're watching it a bit more closely now.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #47

SUN #6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
Navigator is a Lincoln model. They're both Ford products so I suspect that a very high percentage of components are identical, the airbag suspensions being no exception.

Our '11 Jeep GC Overland has the air suspension and we wonder about its useful life.It just turned 76,000 so we're watching it a bit more closely now.
That was kind of an oops on my part. You're correct. I knew that Navigator is Ford (Lincoln) but was thinking GM for some silly reason. (slap my wrist)

Still I wonder how many of these products are made by one company. I'll bet I'm not far off the mark

Jerry & Debbie
Old 08-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #48

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Jerry

Does your son know the loaded tongue weight of the camper? Or even the dry unloaded tongue weight?

What is the brand , model and year camper?

Does he know the load ratings of tuhe WD bars?

By chance, when WD was first set in the truck last year, where the front and rear fender heights taken before and after WD was set? If so dies he recall the numbers?

What year Expd'y is yours sons truck?

Is the Expd'y the long (XL) or the short version?

Is the truck reciever the original Ford reciever or an aftermarket upgrade? What is the max tongue weight rating in WD mode of the reciever?

Need some more info to help better

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:59 AM   #49

SUN #6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi Jerry

Does your son know the loaded tongue weight of the camper? Or even the dry unloaded tongue weight?

What is the brand , model and year camper?

Does he know the load ratings of tuhe WD bars?

By chance, when WD was first set in the truck last year, where the front and rear fender heights taken before and after WD was set? If so dies he recall the numbers?

What year Expd'y is yours sons truck?

Is the Expd'y the long (XL) or the short version?

Is the truck reciever the original Ford reciever or an aftermarket upgrade? What is the max tongue weight rating in WD mode of the reciever?

Need some more info to help better

John
630lbs not all that heavy. for his set up.

News flash
We found the problem. One mechanic misdiagnosed but he could only go by one analyzer. Another friend of my son is also a Ford mechanic and borrowed a higher-end analyzer and they found out that the two airbags were fine BUT that the compressor, while still sorta working, was very weak and did ok with the Expedition but not enough umph for the truck and trailer.

He since installed a quick strut (strut and spring) and now the truck rides better and the trailer sits perfect with weight distribution.
$700 for a new compressor and $800 for each airbag quick struts were $200 each. Ya good ole Canuck prices.

The eyebrow-raiser was when that big honkin trailer sat fine on my Explorer's hitch and even when I towed that beast to the local baseball diamond and back. While too heavy for real towing, it did tow fine.

It seemed everything was down to crunch time. For a VERY long trip everything has to be perfect.
Thanks for all your help. We were at our wits end.

....Now back to my issue of finding a newer bigger trailer. I've only come across two Sunlines but they're too old, too heavy and one had no AC. WE might have to change brands. I find it amazing how some people advertise online with trash throughout the trailer and use poor grammar to advertise..

I'll keep you guys updated when I find something
Thanks again John and everyone else who helped

Jerry & Debbie
Old 08-20-2016, 06:45 AM   #50

SUN #89
Hi Jerry,

Glad you found the problem and the simpler fix. My son had one of the older Expd'y as well and the rear air suspension was sort of diaster for WD. I'm glad he sold it and now has a 2500 Avalanche to tow with.

Friendly heads up, see if there is a mistake in these numbers.

You stated

Quote:
His trailer is 7601 lbs dry
Quote:
630lbs not all that heavy. for this setup
You did not say if the 630 was a dry or loaded tongue weight. Either way that is a heads up for unstable towing. Those numbers suggest 8.2% tongue weight and is not enough

Check the numbers and try to get the loaded tongue weight up to 12 to 13% of the loaded total trailer weight.

Good luck on your Sunline search

John
Old 08-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #51

SUN #6257
those are the dry weights on the spec sheet 634 lbs. tongue and
7,600lbs GVWR and 5,427lbs dry. He told me it was night and day from airbags to strut

Jerry & Debbie
Old 08-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #52

SUN #89
Quote:
those are the dry weights on the spec sheet 634 lbs. tongue and
7,600lbs GVWR and 5,427lbs dry. He told me it was night and day from airbags to strut

Thanks for checking. Those are a lot better numbers.

Glad he got a global shift in stability with the strut system.

Thanks for replying back.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:58 AM   #53

SUN #6257
just an update.
They took off for that trip yesterday a 10 hour drive way up north. They had zero problems with truck or trailer. I was texting back and forth with our granddaughter and grandson.
So for now his problems are closed.

Thanks for all the help.

Jerry & Debbie