Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #1

SUN #408
partimcmpr
Weighing on multi-segment scale

I asked the 'cashier' at a truckstop with CAT scales if I could get front and rear axle weights of my truck on their scales. She told me I would not get good weights that way. I guess I could test it by requesting a two step weigh, and using two segments the first time, and one the next. However, I thought I would see what others have experienced.

I plan to go through the steps of getting good weight information for my trailer in the next few weeks, time allowing. I have received my tounge weight scale and am anxious to put all the numbers together.

Any insight into the best way to weigh using CAT scales would be appreciated.

ParTimCmpr

2006 Sunline T2553 Classic
https://dbmcbride.com/stttv.gif
partimcmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
Weighing at a truck stop

I'm a bit puzzled by the problem. I thought all truck stops had 3 segments to get the front axle, rear axle and trailer tandems all at the same time. If your scale doesn't have that setup I would look around for another one that does. I had no trouble with length and was able to easily get all axles onto the respective segments. Yours should be the same. Watch a couple of trucks go over to see the routine. Be prepared to give a truck ID no., like some digits off your license plate, when the unintelligible garbled voice comes on and that's about all there is to it.

Modern electronic scales should give a good reading regardless of where the axles are, but to be on the safe side, I would certainly try to get the axles more in the middle of the platform than the edge. Older scales at gravel pits and feed mills that do one shot weighing strictly for the purpose of measuring product shipped, would not be very good for weighing individual axle loads because you'd always be at the very edge of the platform.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
ParTimCmpr

I agree with Henry, if you're going to a 3 segment CAT scale you should have no problems weighing your TV and TT.

This Tow Vehicle and Trailer Measured Weight Results post may give you some insight to how I weighed our TV & TT at a CAT scale.

Hope this helps.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote