Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #1

SUN #503
sdsferraro
Send a message via Yahoo to sdsferraro
WD hitch or Sway control?

Hi,
I have read different post and am still a little confused what to get. I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Short bed with tow package 8700 lb tow capacity. The camper I just bought is a 1990 Starray, I think the model is T-274? on the brass plaque by the door. The camper title is for 5000 lbs GVWR. So, wat is the best way to go? a sway control bar, WD hitch, or both?

Also, where do I find more specs on my trailer? I have the title with the 5000 GVWR. The previous owner kept all the papers, so we have the build book, but it doesn't get into model specs or weight. Other TT's we were looking at had information stickers inside the door in a cabinet or under a seat with specs.
Thanks again for all your help!

Danny

Old 01-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Danny,

Try this link:

http://www.sunlineclub.com/docs/90.pdf

for specs on your trailer!

We have up at the top of the page a section called FILES - there is a wealth of info there, compliments of Jon "Sunline Fan" and other members on this forum!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #3

SUN #132
Makers Mark
Danny,
#1) MHO, weight distribution and sway control is a must.
#2) Your TV is the same rating as mine. My coach is 5,500 # gross and just shy of 24 ft ball to rear bumper. I have not had any issues using WD and friction bar sway control but then again I always aware that I am probably at my max. Please understand that I tow at 60mph max and would not want to exceed that with the set-up I have. (not that I would want to!) I realize that I would need additional sway control like a dual cam if I changed to a TV with more torque and wanted to pull faster.

I have been told that 24 foot is about the max for friction bar sway control. If you are just starting out perhaps look into the dual cam as you may be better off.

As far as the specs are concerned I am sure Sunline Fan will post information for you. He is our resident "historian" on Sunline products.
Regards,
MM
2015 Rockwood 2608WS (SOB)
SUN # 132
Makers Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Danny

First off Welcome. And hopefully we can help you on your hitch setup or point you where to go looking. There are a number of us that have gone thru this before and very willing to share our experiences.

A TT hitch, it is a very important part of creating a stable towing rig and we commend you first for asking, and 2nd for trying to figure this out.

To your questions. Using Sunline Fan’s cool collection of Sunline brochures, I found this. http://www.sunlineclub.com/docs/90.pdf

It is the 1990 Sunline brochure and on page 23 is lists the spec out of the factory on a T274 TT. Is that your TT and your floor plan? It shows the T274 as a mid kitchen layout, front table and rear bunks.

The 1990, T274 has specs of

27’ 9” ball to bumper

As built at the factory with standard supplied options, in the “dry” mode. Dry meaning no gear, no propane and no battery.

3,390# axle weight
530# tongue weight
3,920# GVW
5,000# GVWR

They built that TT dry to have a 530#/3920# = 13.5% dry tongue weight. This is good. When you load the TT you need to try and keep that good tongue weight % all the way up into the 15% range. 15% of a fully loaded TT would be 5000# x .15 = 750#. This now helps you to know what minimum size WD hitch you need.

On that size TT you need to have WD. That is a given. And you need a good sway control system, another given.

Since you are starting out researching and buying, I would suggest 2 brands that can work well if setup correct on your system. They combine both WD and anti sway controls in the same hitch.

The Reese Dual Cam system. The Straight Line system http://www.reeseprod.com/

The Equal-I-zer hitch. http://www.equalizerhitch.com/ Note this exact brand as a lot of hitches are referred to a equalizer hitches and they are not the same thing.

Both will give you close to the same towing and anti sway performance. However there are differences between the 2 brands that some times 1 of them fit your personnel situation better. Once you read up on them we can dig deeper into which one and why for you.

If you do the research, you can buy either of these 2 hitches for only a little more then a WD hitch with a friction sway bar. The ability of the 2 mentioned hitches have a lot higher performance for anti sway control then the friction sway bar. The friction sway bar has it’s place and works well where it fits. But again with a little more research and a few more dollars, the Dual Cam or the Equal-I-zer brand will do a better job on your size TT.

Regardless of which brand you get, they are only part of a stable towing setup.

Proper TT weight and balance is the first. Ideally along the way after loading the camper, you go to the truck scales and weigh the rig, and do it in a way where you get axels loads with and without the WD bars on. You should target for 12 to 15% loaded TT tongue weight in relation to the loaded GVW of the camper. The low end limit is 10% but when you get in this area, one wrong gear move in the camper and you can easily go under 10%. There are also ways at home to measure the tongue weight in your yard once you know the entire TT loaded weight. Ypu can them move gear to get the right % if not right. There is a bath scale methods using a bath scale beam and or you can buy for ~$120 a Sherline tongue scale. http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

The other big area is proper optimized setup of the WD hitch and sway control itself. The hitch will not work right if not setup right. Once you know what to end up with, adjusting it not that complex but can be a little the first time thru this.

Read up on some of this and if you have any questions, just ask. We are more then wiling to help anyone trying to help themselves setup their rig right for towing.

Good luck on that camper.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Danny,

JohnB's post is gospel, pure and simple. I can't begin to tell you how important BOTH weight distribution and sway control are for the safety of you and your family and for others who share the highway with you.

I towed my 2453 (5500# GVWR) for many years with a Ram 1500, and always with WD and sway control. The half ton pickup in particular needs both for proper handling and control on the highway.

The tongue weight of your trailer should be about 15 percent of your gross weight. That's 750# in your case. That weight on the very tail end of your 1/2 ton truck is more than enough to cause major changes in the loading of your front end. In some circumstances, that could cause partial or total loss of steering control while travelling down the road. And that invariably occurs when you least expect it and most need it.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote