Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #1

SUN #328
bugbite
Trailer Tongue Weight Scale

Found this on one of the many trailer groups I am on.

SHERLINE Trailer Tongue Weight Scale
Simple scale makes trailering safer

http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

In part go see the link for more...

"The Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale was developed to make it easy to obtain tongue weight on non-commercial trailers for safe loading and proper trailer handling. Though not a part of the Sherline miniature machine tools line, it is a venture into a new area for us. The owner, Joe Martin, campaigns several racecars in vintage and SCCA racing and has much experience in towing trailers. Due to his own loading and towing experiences, he felt a product like this was much needed to make trailer setup easier.

Several magazines have done reviews on the scale and have all been very positive about its use. You may read about it in the October, 1995 issue of Trailer Life Magazine (see page 56). An article about trailering and use of the scale was featured in the January 1996 issue of Sports Car Magazine, the publication of the Sports Car Club of America. Another article was run in the August 1995 issue of Victory Lane, the publication of the Vintage Automobile Racing Association, and an article in Crusing Style Magazine out of Florida ran in May '96. (The articles refer to the scale under the original LoadMaster name.) Mike Luebben wrote an informative article for artists who trailer their displays and wares to art shows entitled Transportation Tales of Terror in the September 2006 issue of Sunshine Artist magazine. Copies of the articles can be obtained by calling Craig at Sherline at (760) 727-5857."

Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Yes these relatively inexpensive tongue scales are worth the money. Mine was like $120 delivered to my door. I highly recommend getting one.

Actually when a new TT is sold most dealers “give” you a TT starter kit. Most include, a fresh water hose, a cheap sewer hose, a packet of black tank chemicals maybe a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter and a few other trinkets. Value: $20 to 50 bucks and does not do much for safe camping.

IF a TT starter kit included these 5 items:

1. A Sherline Tongue scale. $120
2. A torque wrench, short extension and 13/16” socket for lug nuts. Cost $40 to $100
3. An accurate tire pressure gage. Cost $10
4. One full hour and a ˝ of service tech’s time to: Cost: $100

A. Explain how proper TT weight and balance can create a stable tow rig. How to load your TT with gear to get proper tongue weight. The cause and effect of low tongue weight.

B. Demonstrate and explain in depth how a WD hitch works. Why it is so important to use one. Hands on training on how to properly adjust a WD hitch to make your TT and TV a safe towing rig.

C. Anti sway controls. What they do, how to adjust them and why we need them. Understanding sway and what to do if you encounter it.

D. Demonstrate and explain how to use tools listed under 1, 2 and 3 above.

5. Written instructions with pictures of the explanation of items 1 - 4 for you to take home and re-read when all the excitement of a new camper settles. Coping costs $2.

The total cost in the price of a new high quality TT: not much. The value: Priceless.

If they give you the deluxe kit, add:

A brake adjusting tool with instructions how to use it and when. OR a coupon for your first 200 miles towing brake adjustment, free.

I apologize if this sounds down beat on the selling practice of many dealers, however how to safely tow a TT is not discussed in very much length in a TT deal. How to use the kitchen appliances some time receives more attention. The only explanation on anything I received from my dealer on any of the 5 times above, was a 2 minute talk how to hook up and if the truck squatted some, take up a link. That was it.

After you have seen or helped some one back figure out what rolled their TV and TT with their famliy inside, it sends a message. Check your own rig to make sure it is setup right and if you do not know how, work to educate yourself. Bad things unfortunately happen to good people.

Anyone not understanding any of the 5 items listed above, fell free to ask here on Sunline Club with no fear of being ridiculed. We will do what ever we can to help you understand your towing setup and if one part comes up weak, well you now know about it and can help yourself.

Safe travels,

PS. BB, I hope this did not steal the good thunder of your helpful information.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:59 PM   #3

SUN #328
bugbite
JohnB you know I always listen to you...

Great dissertation on towing safety.

I just read an article from a consumer's site saying even if the loads are distributed right and with antisway adjusted some people fail to add a crucial part of the equation... wheelbase.

JohnB,

The time you take to illustrate everything complete with labels and full explanation really helps everyone even the veteran loyalists here of the Sunline Family.

Big thank you!

BB
Old 07-12-2007, 03:57 AM   #4

SUN #328
bugbite
Re: JohnB you know I always listen to you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugbite
I just read an article from a consumer's site saying even if the loads are distributed right and with antisway adjusted some people fail to add a crucial part of the equation... wheelbase.
Yep
Old 07-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #5

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Yes, medbill is here too. He is getting his TT today. "Razzle Dazzle from the dealer"- Yep!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #6

SUN #328
bugbite
OH NO! Mr. Med Bill!

With you Kathy!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #7

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Re: OH NO! Mr. Med Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugbite
Miss Kathy... don't tell me!!!!!!!!! I wish I had known I would have PM'd him before he made the journey. DH pointed the post out to me over on TS.

:
I don't know what he was told, but I got some 'razzle dazzle' from them when I bought....
Old 07-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #8

SUN #328
bugbite
Towing Razzle Dazzles

With you Kathy...
Old 07-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #9

SUN #328
bugbite
Love this quote

On strengthening rear ends...

Axle supplier

http://www.currieenterprises.com/

You know where said this one... how they talk over there... love their siggy lines and icons! They had an ensuing debate which 3/4 or 1 Ton diesel was the best... not uncommon for Tundra people thinking their 1/2 Tons can tow just about everything... sure they can... the dealer said they could!

There was a guy in my neighborhood that traded his Tacoma in for a shiney new 2005 Tundra earlier in December so he could pull a new travel trailer he bought. The dealer said "sure.. no problem, it'll pull it."

Well, come to find out it exceeded the towing capacity by a few thousand pounds so he ended up having to get a Dodge diesel just to pull the thing. Now the Tundra became his wife's car and they sold her 4-Runner. They were one of those Toyota-only families, like myself, but they got screwed by the dealer now they've polluted the gene pool with a Dodge.