Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #1

SUN #4147
RRS2670 is an unknown quantity at this point
Trailer Tires, trailering stability

I just got my trailer out of storage. I'm getting back to figuring out an issue I had last fall with my new truck and old trailer. The thread was long so I wanted to start a new one so people didn't have to read through whole thing. Here it is for reference if your interested:
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...ues-19479.html

The first and simplest thing to do is replace the TT tires that were Goodyear Marathons that were over 10 years old. I get my tires from a local discount tire and have narrowed down the search to 2 tires, Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST205 /75 R15 107M D1 BSB, and Goodyear Endurance ST205 /75 R15 107N D1 BSW. I've been trying to research reviews to get the best tire but very few of the reviews have the Goodyear in them. The Carlisle tire is in the top 5 of many reviews and is ~$30 per tire cheaper then the Goodyear. The tire manufacturer technical data is very similar, but a couple of things bother me about the Carlisle. I tried to use the RV publication reviews, rather then the many Amazon reviews on the web. On one of the RV publications they said that this particular Carlisle is not designed for dual axle trailers and the dynamics of dual axles would cause extra load on sidewalls that could lead to premature tire wear or failure. I went to the Carlisle website and they don't mention this anywhere. So I am wondering if there is anyone here that can shed some light on trailer tire selection. Obviously based on my original thread I'm looking for a stiff sidewall to help overall stability of my whole setup.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:59 PM   #2

SUN #7990
BenB is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the Carlisle Radial Trail HD on my T264SR. Also have towed them on a T2475 in the size you are looking at. Actually they are on our flatbed trailer as well. All are dual axle no problems, tow well. I have never read anything about not using on dual axle. Oh also had some on our old popup, single axle, less weight but towed well. I guess I have tested a few on 3000# to 10000# trailers, no problems. I do check air pressure before every trip and cover tires when stored outside for extended periods. All tires except the popup have balancing beads inside, that may help too vs. no balancing.

Current Camper: 2006 Sunline T-264SR
Previous Camper: 1998 Coleman Mesa
Tow Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500, 8.1L, 4X4
DirecLink Brake Controller, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver, Reese HP Trunnion Bar Hitch W/ HP DC
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #3

SUN #4147
Thanks for the input. My only hesitation with what to buy was the $32 per tire difference between Goodyear and Carlisle. Obviously safety should be the biggest concern, not price. But if there is no clear-cut proven quality difference, then price plays into the equation. That said, tire discount just dropped the Endurance price by $21 per tire, and it also has a higher speed rating, so I decided to go with the Goodyear Tire.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #4

SUN #7182
Tireman9 is an unknown quantity at this point
The Carlisle Radial Trail HD are ST type and I see no reason they could not be used in "Dual" (side by side) application but that is not the same as "Tandem" (front to back on two different axles) My blog post on replacing "duals" has pictures of dual vs tandem.
Retired Design & Quality Tire Engineer. Check out my Blog on RV Tire Safety for over 400 in-depth posts on tires, valves, and TPMS. I give seminars on RV tires various RV events for FMCA across America.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:57 PM   #5

SUN #4147
Sorry I used the wrong terminology, I was talking about tandom wheels. Is there anytime when you wouldn't use certain tires for tandom axles?
Old 05-28-2020, 06:43 PM   #6

SUN #7182
Tireman9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS2670 View Post
Sorry I used the wrong terminology, I was talking about tandom wheels. Is there anytime when you wouldn't use certain tires for tandom axles?

Assuming you have confirmed the load on the tires is no greater than 90% of GAWR and that the tire type and Load Range and size is as shown on the placard and you have inflated to the pressure on placard I see no reason tires would not work. There is nothing magic about tandem mounting.

Retired Design & Quality Tire Engineer. Check out my Blog on RV Tire Safety for over 400 in-depth posts on tires, valves, and TPMS. I give seminars on RV tires various RV events for FMCA across America.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote