Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #1

SUN #6141
JCTravels is an unknown quantity at this point
Toyota 2UZ-FE 4.7L V8 observations

I've noticed there are a few of us with Toyota's venerable 2UZ V8 that was put in a number of applications from 2000-2009. We've only had our 4Runner for 7 months but I've been doing a lot of looking around for practical upgrades that compliment its main job of towing. I don't have a whole lot of knowledge to share, but I think it's worth stimulating the conversation.

Maintenance-Related Notes:

Thus far the achilles heels of the 2UZ seem to be:
1) Timing belt ($800-$1200)
-- Typical maintenance item
2) Exhaust manifolds (>$2k)
-- Prone to hairline cracks. Autozone replacement is $700 ea.
3) Emissions codes (>$1k)
-- Carbon canisters in emissions system cause check engine light, which also turns off VTC and TRAC. Can clear codes with battery disconnect or OBD reader. If vehicle is under extended warranty, may be fixed for free. This is a known TSB but may not be fixed free unless you're under warranty.

Upgrades:

Shortly after purchasing the 4Runner I opted to install a K&N Intake (63-9029 - K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kits, Performance Intake Kit direct from K&N) system, for about $280 on Amazon, to help the engine breathe a little easier. Installed examples can be found here:
Recommended Cold Air Intake for 2006 4Runner Sport - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

One of the instant observations following installation was improved throttle response and a meaty engine note. I didn't see any change in MPG for city or highway use. On the down side, this upgrade is not street legal in AZ, CA, CT, DC, MA, MD, ME, NJ, NM, NY, OR, PN, RI, VT, and WA. However, this upgrade doesn't throw engine codes since you transfer the MAF to the K&N piping and retain use of all vacuum hoses.

My upgrade strategy for this truck is all functionality and no fluff. I don't care that it has dings and dents as long as it is mechanically sound. As it ages I'll replace items with better parts (i.e. exhaust system).

Again, nothing fantastic to mention here, but just documenting my experiences so far with this engine. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions, and experiences are welcome.

Josh

Reese Dual Cam WD & SC
JCTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #2

SUN #527
ScottK
Last year I sold my 2007 4Runner for a Tundra. Great truck and pulled my T-1950 pretty well. I had the manifold issue. Replaced just one side and I found OEM replacement mainifold, gaskets to my door for $622. I shopped around for installation and was quoted 1.9 hours by one dealership installing the parts I provided. So I got the whole job done for $900 parts & installation. Another dealership had the parts & install at over $1500.

We loved the 4runner, but we love the Tundra more. It's a much more capable towing rig for us.
2020 Forest River - No Boundaries 19.8
2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax (sold 7/21)
2021 Ford F-250 CrewCab
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote