Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #21

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bill: Don't forget to take into consideration any Inspection costs/repairs, and who pays for them, when you're bringing a vehicle in from out of state.

We bought our '04 Dodge 2500 in PA via an internet search. It was PA state inspected and Dodge Certified Used and it still failed MD inspection. Needed almost $1000 in front-end work. Fortunately, because it was Dodge Certified Used it had a 3 mo./3000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty that covered the repairs.

Even though we were assured it was a "local trade" in actuality it had been purchased from a local wholesale auction and the dealer passed on the repairs to Dodge by certifying it.

We love the truck, and so far almost 6000 miles later including 7 trips with the Sunline in tow, we haven't had any further problems.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:08 PM   #22

SUN #287
nickster60
I have had a bunch of diesels over the years in my company. Some good some not so good. One thing remains the same with diesels repairs and parts are expensive. If you get a good one it pays off if not you are upside down

nickster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #23

SUN #287
nickster60
There are also tons of trucks in Florida nad the are rust free. It isnt as dry as Texas but they still dont rust much
Old 07-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #24

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I got my Ex in Florida this past April. It's almost new looking underneath. I did see a little bit of mud, but I haven't felt like going under to clean it yet! The only complaint I have about mine is the previous owner left it outside all the time and never waxed it, so the glass and paint has embedded water spots in it. Does anyone have a suggestion that would take that off? I already tried distilled white vinegar and it didn't seem to do much. I do realize this can happen in any area of the country, but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows any good solution anyway.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 AM   #25

SUN #287
nickster60
get a clay bar. Meguires makes one in helps get that stuff out
Old 07-20-2007, 05:59 AM   #26

SUN #209
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
........... The only complaint I have about mine is the previous owner left it outside all the time and never waxed it, so the glass and paint has embedded water spots in it............... Does anyone have a suggestion that would take that off?
Jon
As suggested, a clay bar for the paint - Mother's at Wally World has a "kit" for about $15 but better yet is the Meguiars clay bar and their #26 carnuba wax. It takes some work, but is great. While more expensive, was all I ever used on my street rods. I use the Meguiars final inspection as the lubricant for the clay bar. Just remember, if you drop the bar on the ground, it's (expensive)junk

Try some Bon Ami cleanser for the windshield water film. It has nothing but calcium carbonate in it - no bleaches. Use it sparingly on a sponge and you will be surprised what come off.
With an '06 Glendale Titanium 28E33TS fiver
'06 F350 V10 Lariat 4x4 CrewCab
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #27

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Dave & Nick, I'll try those things when I get home next week.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:01 AM   #28

SUN #328
bugbite
Whew!

I am so glad you figured out a Tacoma won't get it! I truly worried about this one...

We had a Tacoma before buying our Tundra. Pulling w/ both our Coleman Santa Fe medium-sized PopUp. It was half the wt. fully loaded of even the smallest TT here. Tacoma didn't get it for safety. Can't put anything under an ARE added truck cap. AND something to consider. Had a manual, tow package but it was 4 wheel drive.

Danger... the wheelbase and too high a profile even for our PUP. Hitch wt. questionable for sure. Joe (DH) got too frisky taking his Tacoma around a corner that easily our manual Mazda (then) far too fast. Did a lateral wheely with right side of truck off the ground! Really easy in the rain too to turn over if speeds too fast taking any turn.

Even have to watch a Tundra sans anything towed. Despite it's size and good profile any 4 wheeldrive can flip irregardless.

Tundra pulled the PUP no sweat. Could hardly feel it and the electric brakes worked flawlessly (my engy did the wiring harness and added electric brakes to PUP).

Tacomas OUT with a 1950 or 195 for sure. Steep inclines, emergency stops can cause jacknives, ruin even a manual transmission, and worse yet take the rig over on its side or top.

We have to be extremely careful contemplating even the purchase of a lite or ultralight given Tundra's too soft suspension and frame. Hitch weight too a big concern good weight distributing hitch and all. Weight of the Tundra in question as a TV at all. Yeah a 4.7 Lexus engine it has a fine engine strong and reliable but the body and frame a real minus. F-150 has it all over Tundras for tows!

Doesn't hurt any of us to get on a board for our tow vehicles regardless of what we have. Keep current. Learn from others mistakes.

Tundra Solutions as must for my DH. He reads their tow board every time to see what person was done for some real boners and what the moderator has to say. That moderator pretty durn plain spoken as all the ruff and tumbles posters over there. Don't mince words. Definitely read more than you post over there! Known to have some rauchy quotes and seedy avatars too! BUT verrrry funny!

BB probably looking at least a 3/4 Diesel when we retire.
Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:19 AM   #29

SUN #328
bugbite
Good match nickster!

>>2006 T-1950
1999 Dodge 2500 8.0l V10
2005 F150<<

You certainly can be more confident w/ your Dodge 2500 than a F-150 even.

You are so much better off than we are. Easy tow now that you have a 3/4.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:04 AM   #30

SUN #328
bugbite
Thoughts on buying a Southern Vehicle

Southern vehicles looking for cherries from yall up North a great idea. BUT let's not forget where in the South you are getting yours w/o harsh winters and salt damage.

Go INLAND South! You are still going to get salt spray from a FL, SC, NC, AL, MS, LA. GA coastal region from the Atlantic and Gulf beaches. KY too far North. Northern TN near KY border too far North salt there. No mountains either like in West NC.

I recommend: East Tennessee Valley, Northern AL, Northern MS, West SC, Mid GA. We never get snow cept a spit each winter in the Tennessee Valley -- Oak Ridge, Lenior City, Strawplains, and Knoxville.

Amazing amount of Northern vehicles headed to FL in the winter with salt spray all over them we observe on I-40 / I-75.

I highly recommend anyone thinking of a Toyota (not as a tow vehicle) Fox Toyota in Clinton, TN. We bought our old 1 Ton (yes there was one) light duty '85 still on the road (new) (a mechanic in Joe's shop still running it, Tacoma (new) 4 Runner Limited, leather (used) (we have), and our Tundra (new custom order) (we have). Easy sales people to deal w/ especially our fav. Tim Jennings, mom and pop family business, pull down the excellence award each year. Very good service dept. w/ a great manager.

Those thinking of F-150s, 250s, and 350s there is a bumper crop of them here. Some GMs and Dodge Diesels here but not as prevalent. Real Ford country here! Yes, and with a hound dog or retriever in the back, UT Vols front plate, and USA bumper stickers. We are proud rednecks here. No insult to us whatsoever!

Not unusual at all to see this bumper sticker... American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God.

Sorry had to throw that in those not familiar w/ our area. We are cept a few very stereotypical in that respect however no dummies, we are not (Beverly) hillbillies but rather mountain folk. Dry humor an' all. To know us is to love us. Geniunely fine peoples. Very moral and friendly. Knoxville a real stop over for the night for those headed to FL.

Travel advisory in the Fall during a UT home game Saturday. Don't come here on I-75 then. One MASSIVE parking lot on the interstate w/ the VOL loyal going to oddball games.

Remember some of you brought up the Southern vehicles so I think this post appropriate.

Waving to my Northern friends here. Yes, some of you actually enjoy my posts. I know my fellow Southerners here do!
Old 07-22-2007, 04:09 AM   #31

SUN #328
bugbite
Oh on Texas

Not a real good idea. The dust and hail damage there along w/ the Gulf Coast spray around Houston etc. Paint and undercarriage damage. AR also dusty and get salt in the Winter, hail damage too from tornados and severe storms.

The winds really are bad in TX and sand blast the paint. Very violent storms and flood damage. Been all the places I mention as well as know people who live wherever...

Think interior South instead. OH still watch where the vehicles came from in the South also. Look out for even in the interior for hurricane damage. Those of us know in Atlanta for instance on the Sunlines of FEMA are there. FL vehicles hit here after a hurricane also SC, NC, and GA coasts.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:25 AM   #32

SUN #328
bugbite
Research Request: "Breakpoints" for all Tow Vehicl

Huge research request to benefit those:

comptemplating buying Sunlines
comptemplating buying longer and heavier Sunlines
who have gradually added cargo to tow vehicles and RVs.

"Breakpoints" meaning what is a safe easy tow of all Makes and Models limit?

Factor in Tongue and Wheelbase lengths too of all Makes and Models as well as the physics mathmatics.

Gas 1/2 Tons
Gas 3/4 Tons
Gas 1 Tons
Gas Dual Axles

Diesel 3/4 Tons
Diesel 1 Tons
Diesel Dual Axles
Old 07-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #33

SUN #225
Mark
So basically you are asking for research on all makes and models.

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #34

SUN #269
medbill
Send a message via AIM to medbill
Hi Mark,

I'm not asking anyone to research trucks for me. I know what I want, just asking for folks to keep their eyes open should they see one up for grabs. I have owned 2 Texas vehicles and one is still in my garage very close to the way it left the factory back in 1970.

No rust where it counts, paint is cosmetic only, rust is forever. lol

Billy

I dunno if bugbite is asking for research or not.

www.helpeddieryan.com

www.redwhiteandblueoutdoors.com
medbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:03 AM   #35

SUN #328
bugbite
Yeah don't you think this would be useful?

And no I wasn't offering any truck buying advice. Glad whoever gets whatever they get. Honest...

Think we outta' start a thread on this? OR NOT... won't hurt my feelings atol if no one thinks it will be useful.

I think everyone by now figures out nuttin' mutch bothers me I would have been put away long ago if it did living w/ engie and teaching all levels of students.

--------

Sure would be useful for folks coming to this forum contemplating getting a Sunline and asking if vehicle x would be good to tow Sunline X?
Sounds like a job for Hutch or when JohnB comes back LOL!
Doesn't just have to be Sunline dependent. Can be x wt. trailer to x vehicle. Would certainly save folks alot of grief plus for the more sensitive types wouldn't be taken personally.

It's not like we can count on salesmen now can we? Some poor people do. Or they say oh, my truck can pull 7,500 cause that's what truck maker x says.. and buy a trailer whose GVWR is 7,500.

I know I started out in HUH Land and had to get less confused. I am now a 1/2 huh-er still confused but w/o head spinning like on the Xersist.

--------

"Breakpoints" meaning what is a safe easy tow of all Makes and Models limit?

Factor in Tongue and Wheelbase lengths too of all Makes and Models as well as the physics mathmatics.

Gas 1/2 Tons
Gas 3/4 Tons
Gas 1 Tons
Gas Dual Axles

Diesel 3/4 Tons
Diesel 1 Tons
Diesel Dual Axles
Old 07-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #36

SUN #225
Mark