Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #1

SUN #3113
TurtleBax is an unknown quantity at this point
OK, Can I Tow With This?

Hello All,

We don't have a Tug. After much family deliberation, it's been (Mostly) decided that we will get a 2012 F150 EcoBoost HD.

I want to tow a T1950. I'm concerned about not having enough TV for the job, but based on the weight of the trailer and the towing capacity of the truck, I think this this will do. Comments?
I do notice that several are trading up to larger trucks. Is there something that I am missing here? I don't plan on towing anything larger than this little Sunline. Maybe in the distant future, hauling a lightweight Truck Camper.

Since I'll be getting the factory tow package, and the TV has antil-sway, will I need a Sway bar and Weight Dist. Hitch?
Do I need a height adjustable Hitch? I don't know how high the tailer will be in relation to the truck hitch.

Boy, the more I read, the less I feel I know..

Thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,
TurtleBax

Old 01-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Turtle

If you are looking at the F150 with the HD duty towing package, yes you will have enough truck for the T1950. We have several here doing this with a F150 and they are not the Eco boost engine.

What year T1950 are you looking at? Since I thought most of them where dual axle that would for sure just about put you into a WD hitch. Odds are high the weight carrying ability of the F150 receiver cannot handle those loads without a WD hitch.

The electronic sway control is a nice feature and I'll have to read up on the new Ford manuals if they claim an add on anti sway system will affect the electronic system. See here for a new manual on that truck. Just put in your year and make/model and download

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

If Ford does not object to using anti sway control then it is still good to use it. Pending which WD hitch you get it has it built in.

We are going camping this weekend but I'll try and get you an answer by early next week unless you can find it in the manual or someone else has run into this and can point us to it on if an add on anti sway affects the electronic system. Ford is pretty good at listing those things in their manuals. If it will be a problem, they will tell you.

Got to go now. Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

SUN #3113
TurtleBax is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi JohnB,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm looking purchasing a T1950, 2006 model. It does have the dual wheels.

Thanks for the info. on the Weight Dist. Hitch. I was still a bit confused as the when I would need one. I'll just assume that I do, as it will most likely be a safety measure.

I'll do some reading on the link.

Thanks,
TurtleBax
Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #4

SUN #1879
OhhWell is an unknown quantity at this point
Yup, you will definately need the WD hitch. First and foremost, they are just darn helpfull and will relieve stress from the receiver and rear axle of your truck. Secondly, they are mandatory in most states for trailers over 1500 - 2000 lbs or so.

I don't think you would need any sort of higher end setup for that combination however. As john said, I would find out exactly what the Ford Anti-Sway system is before even adding a friction sway bar to the setup.

Most WD hitches come with an adjustable shank. Unless the F150 is a beefed up 4x4 then it should be just fine even for a low slung Sunline. That truck with that driveline should have you constantly looking in the rear view window to make sure the trailer is still attached.

Former trailers - '94 T-2770
'02 t-2753
'08 Keystone Sprinter 299BHSS
OhhWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #5

SUN #809
ihsolutions
The payload capacity on these new trucks is considerably higher than it was in past years, all other things equal.

And that EcoBeast engine will break the tires free, with the trailer attached, if you step on it too hard. You'll be fine.
2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD D/A DRW, Classy Chassis Conversion, aka "Garage Queen II"
Hensley Trailersaver BD3 Air Hitch
ihsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Turtle,

Had a few moments and did some reading for you. The 2012 F150 manual is not yet on line but the 2011 is, see here

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOBF12/~MUS~LEN/36/11f12og3e.pdf

That is why it would not show up in the 2012 files but if you look under 2011, then the F series trucks show up.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

Page 269 talks about using a WD hitch. And yes you will need one for the loaded tongue weight and any truck bed weight aft of the rear axle.

Page 292 talks about the electronic sway control. It does not say anything about not using mechanical sway control that I can find.

The Owners manual points to the Ford Towing Guide. Here is the 2012 Ford Towing guide
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...ng/default.asp

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...Tgde_Nov17.pdf

Page 27 in the footer says the owner is responsible to buy:

Quote:
Ford says:

(1) Rear step bumpers and hitch receivers do not include a hitch ball or ball mounting. The vehicle owner is responsible for obtaining the proper hitch ball, ball mounting, weightdistributing
equipment (i.e., equalizing arms and snap-up brackets,
sway control system) and other appropriate equipment to tow both the trailer and its cargo load.
I have not found any place where it says a mechanical sway control cannot be used with electronic sway control. Not saying it does not exist but they sure do to not point it out in the places one would think. It only heard off the cuff comments where I heard that as I do not see it listed. I caution asking your truck sale guy unless he himself tows a TT or has a clue about towing a trailer. And even then unless I see Ford themselves say not to use a sway control, I would use one.

I never measured a loaded T1950 tongue weight. Maybe some day or someone else has and I can update the chart.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...hts-10765.html

However your "loaded" tongue weight will come close to sitting right on 500# and that is if you do not have any truck bed weight aft of the rear axle. For me, I would use a 600 or 750# rated WD hitch and at least a friction sway bar. Or buy a combo unit WD and sway control in one such as 600# Equal-I-zer made by Progress Industries or a 600# Reese SC model hitch. Then you do not have to fiddle with the sway bar.

Reese SC Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion - 10,000 lbs GTW, 600 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66151

Equal-i-zer® Hitch - Product Info - Specifications

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #7

SUN #3354
UPbuilder is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a buddy with a 2012 F150 ecoboost. That thing has crazy torque(and horsepower), almost inline with the diesels. It's one of the flattest torque curves I've seen making big power right off idle. You'll have no problems, my buddy has towed some very heavy trailers with his.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #8

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
My F-150 is the V8 with 300hp and I don't even know my T-1950 is back there. I was looking at the eco-boost and the dealer assures me that it's the same 300hp with the same towing capacity but with better mileage.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote