Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #1

SUN #246
Janalee
Need tv recommendations....

I need a little help from my friends.....I would like to buy a new-er tv.. probably an SUV type..but hopefully around 10K or less....I need something w decent space in the rear or maybe the seats pop out. I have always loved conversion vans for towing but ours is costing $$$ for repairs..this should be my last towing trip to Fl. so I wont need such a large vehicle...ours wont even go under our carport. Is there any such thing as a SUV that gets decent mpg when NOT towing? I will not be towing anything larger than my 2363..and always the possibility I wont be towing at all after this trip south....Suggestions please!!?? Janalee

'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #2

SUN #1321
tjalmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Janalee,
From my experience, no. We had a small SUV, Mitsubishi Montero Sport 2001 which got about the same gas mileage as our larger '03 Chevy Tahoe that replaced it. The Montero was geared lower and ran higher RPM's. Much worse in cross winds on the highway and much better at kicking around it the woods.
Newer small SUV's may get better mileage, but I suppose that's not your question.
Hope it helps,
T

Old 08-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Janalee,

You listed several things that put you in a rough spot.

Ideally less than $10K
Has good room
Tow your camper to Fla (long distance)
Gets a level of decent gas mileage
Maybe your last time towing.
I'll add one, reliable towing vehicle.

I have been SUV towing from 1989 to 2007. Chevy's mainly. Jimmy, Tahoe, Suburban. All very good tow vehicles when sized correctly. The Tahoe and the Suburban will fit your pulling needs but there are other factors to think though.

When they get miles on them, when was the last brake job, shocks, transmission fluid change, tires.

For a full size SUV, the year 2000 to 2006 Tahoe/Suburban may top out at 15 to pushing 18mpg highway, non towing. the 5.3 V8 with the 3.73 rear axle was common. Towing can be 8 to 10, maybe a little more. For the vehicle it is, with the technology of the time, it is decent mileage just not great compared to newer fuel efficient small cars or even new SUV's.

Then what will you get for it when trading it in a year?

This is a tough situation. If you where going to keep towing for a few years, this may be easier to justify the costs and getting the truck setup to tow your camper. While not a big cost, a $120 WD hitch shank may be needed to adapt up to a higher SUV and someone to do it.

There are a lot of 1500 Suburban's out there from 2000 to 2006 that will fit your towing needs, but have to sort through the condition they are in. You can get a gem in great shape or not...

I did a hit within 300 miles from my your area in PA for a 2000 to 2006 2 wheel drive Suburban. There are 413 of them
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ypes=used&mmt=[CHEV[CHEVSUB[]][]]&vehicleStyleCodes=SUVCROSS&modelCode1=CHEVSUB&Log =0&makeCode1=CHEV&startYear=2000&numRecords=25&sea rchRadius=300&bodyStyleCodes=SUV&showcaseOwnerId=6 5314199&captureSearch=true&Log=0

You get close to the $10K area when you get to 150,000 miles and up. Private sale my be less than a dealer. But for sure have a trusted mechanic you know check it out for brakes, exhaust system, tires, transmission, radiator, rear axle shocks.

If you get a Suburban. make sure it has the tow package with the larger transmission cooler and have the mechanic inspect the receiver on the back for heavy rust which can compromise them.

Options for you in your situation to maybe think on.

Hire a hauler to take the camper to Fla. if the cost is not too bad all things considering. I really do not know the cost but I know they do it. If they have a return tow from another account it may help lower your cost.

Here are some hits on this. Try your area may be better cost.
RV Transport Company. Transport and Delivery Service in USA.

Hoosier RV Transport

Synergy RV Transport - Welcome

I know nothing about them other then a place to start. Many are Indiana based but talk about entire US delivery. My step dad did have a car transported to Fort Lauderdale from upper NYS to Fla, I think it was about $700 at the time if I recall right. This was a few years ago.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #4

SUN #246
Janalee
Well..I really appreciate your responses and especially the details from JohnB..taking everything into consideration, I think I will chance it one more time with my '99 Express (5.7l, 3:73 axle ratiol)..she has 118,000 well maintained miles...and this year received new brake lines,water pump,radiator,and $200 worth of A/C repair. The van runs beautiful,tows great getting a consistent 9 mpg towing,12 in town,and 17 hwy. Fluids are always clear..no smell on the tranny stick..nice and pink..
I guess I get concerned because anything that goes wrong,happens out of town..like she just quit running on I-95 last year in SC..of course,with my DH's situation here,all disasters fall to me..LOL! Yep..After getting towed four miles ($300) to Walmart,and calling son in law for suggestions,I then got to change out a fuel pump relay switch!! My first!! Anyway, my plans are to buy a larger,older TT to leave down in Fl. in the park,and then our towing will be just local around home--my van can handle that. So I will trust it one more time..I have lots of tools with me...joking! Thanks so much again..Janalee
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote