Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #1

SUN #639
Harryo
More Info

Thank Jason,Found the tread good imfo.John sorry the question was so vague.Here is the information you asked for.The front jacks and the rear plus the tongue will drag.On the speed bump and my driveway .The wd bars are eaz lift 1000 lbs mvhc 10.000lbs mgtwr. with 6 links under tension.jacks Will not drag.with 7 links under tension all jacks will drag except the tongue.The tv is a 1998 chev 1500 Siverado with a 5.7 vortec eng short bed.and it is usaly filled with bikes and all the other stuff we can't live without.I know i over do it but with 6 grandchildren and four adults around it takes a lots of stuff.The trailer hitch was installed by the dealer so not sure of make.Like i said i have to hookup everything except the weight bars and raise the tongue jack as high as possible to take the tension off the bars to fasten and unfasten them.It is the unfasten that i dread as it has snatched the bar i use to hook the chain with out of my hands this i don.t like. Thank for all your help. Harry

Old 06-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Harry

OK, Now I know what your up to.

Try this as this is what I do. Put a 6" thick block of wood under the tongue jack. This will allow you to lift the tongue higher taking the load off the WD bars. I do this as I cannot snap up or unsnap not doing it on heavy tongue TT’s. I jack until I can just slightly wiggle the chain under tension. Then I know all most all the weight is off.

See this one pic on my older camper. That block of wood is standard camping gear.

I can relate to the grand kids “stuff”. Each time they come the back of the truck has at least twice the stuff in it….

Hope this helps. If it is not your issue, let us know. Will keep trying until we can get you up and going.

John

PS Also you can just do a reply on your original post to post us more info. You do not have to start a new post. We check back on posts we have talked to someone on to look for their response there. This keeps the topic all tied together and we know where to go looking for your response.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #3

SUN #639
Harryo
Thanks John,I think you are right on the higher block. I looked things over good this am.I notice that my tv was much higher than the TT.the TT is parked on a small incline. The tt from hitch to the rear end is lower than the tv,When it is level .going to build me some ramp to level tt with tv.then use a block on hitch jack.This should take care of the problem.Sometimes you need to step back and look things over and get some good advise. and you see things better. Again Thanks John Harry
Old 06-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #4

SUN #597
henryj
Low Clearance

This is not a substitute for an improper setup. Follow John's instructions. But for anyone else also finding themselves a little short of clearance...

On a typical road with some crown and a curb and gutter, the gutter is the lowest point. When the tt tires hit the gutter the rear may scrape the driveway. When the tv tires hit the gutter the front jacks or even the tongue jack could scrape. It is sometimes possible to buy a couple of inches clearance here by bridging the gutter with planks like 2 X 8 or 10. When the tires hit the plank the vehicle will raise up or at least not drop even lower. However, note that when the tv tires raise up on the plank the rear of the tt will drop and if you have the appropriate amount of slope on the driveway, the rear will now drag because of the planks. For anyone wanting to try this technique some trial and error is in order as no two road/driveway transitions are the same. I would also bevel the edge of the planks so the tires aren't bumping up over it all the time.

If the road has significant crown and/or the driveway has significant slope, flipping the axles of the tt is likely the only solution.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote

« Help Help | tires »