Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #1

SUN #269
medbill
Send a message via AIM to medbill
Might have found a great deal on TV

Was visiting a buddy earlier this week and while over conversation I was telling him my plans to get a new to me pickup to tow our TT. He mentioned a that a guy at his job has a 2006 Dodge 2500 4X4 quad or mega cab, 6" bed, 6 speed manual that was used for towing his 5th wheel. He is selling it and his truck and going back to a motorhome. It only has 40k miles on it and hes asking 20k. From the brief research I've done that sounds like a helluva good deal.

Any things I should be on the look out for and what are your experiences towing with a manual? It's really not the ideal truck but for that price I can be a bit flexible. Gonna go look at it Monday am.

Thanks and hope your all having fun camping, here in the NE its a beautiful summer weekend.

www.helpeddieryan.com

www.redwhiteandblueoutdoors.com
medbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #2

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
It looks like Kelley Blue Book appraises it for a private party sale around $22K for the gas powered Hemi and around $28.5K for the turbo diesel. Seems like he's got it priced for a quick sale and probably won't move much lower. If it's a diesel... providing everything is in working order... take it and run!!!

I'd ask your buddy who works with him how he takes care of his stuff... oil changes, tire rotation, etc. If he keeps after maintenance, it's a good buy and is plenty of truck for your TT.

As far as driving a manual transmission to tow. I'd prefer it personally... much more control in acceleration and braking when you're able to pick your shift points. Just takes more work when you're driving and it's much harder to drink your coffee in the morning unless you're cruising down a flat highway.

Take care,
Lode

https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/Lodeline.jpg
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #3

SUN #597
henryj
I've driven and towed with manuals over the years, but my only experience with a 6 sp is my son's 98 Trans Am. You need a good shifter with good action and spring loading to reliably get all the gears in a 6 sp as they are physically so close together in the H pattern. A truck will have a much longer lever, but still--it's like shoes--if it doesn't feel good, you won't get used to it.

I had a 77 F150 with a 4 sp for many years. It had a really long throw into and out of 1st. Other than comfort, the problem with a long throw between any gears is that you lose momentum during shifts and it can be almost impossible to shift up while driving up hill--may not be a problem with a diesel, but it sure was with gas. That gear was so low, I didn't often need it so that didn't bother me. The other gears were nice and crisp with good spring action to move to the right of the H when coming out of 2nd. I've heard the recommendation with diesels is to start in 1st when pulling a load to save the clutch, so make sure your seating position and reach is comfortable to shift through all the gears.

Clutch action should also be smooth and progressive to facilitate easy starts with minimal slip. Shift up and down through all the gears at reasonable towing rpm--if you can't test drive with the tt--to check for slick crisp movement and no crunching from weak synchronizers.

I don't know the Dodge ratios, but often 6 sp, manual and auto, have both 5th and 6th as overdrive ratios. That's why it would be nice to test tow to see how much shifting you have to do on hills. Going down one gear is no big deal, but going down to 3rd or 4th fairly often, if you often tow on hills, can be a pain. Also, check the spacing between the ratios. Both of my Fords, 4 sp and 5 sp, had gaping holes, especially between 3rd and 4th, that made driving in some situations high rpm painful.

Then, how much stop and go driving and traffic jams to you anticipate being in? Shifting through the gears and listening to the engine rumble can be intoxicating--for 5 or 10 min--but will sure get old after that.

My last manual tv was a 5 sp Ranger. I've had two autos since then and, for me, I'd never go back.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #4

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
We tow with a manual transmission because we prefer a manual for everydya driving. They cost less and seem to be less prone to failure.

I will see shifting is almost non conscious.

Our next vehicle will be a diesel CRV and will be a six speed manual.

Norm
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #5

SUN #269
medbill
Well took a quick peek at it yesterday before taking my wife to doctor appointments/'tests. Turns out its a 2003 2500 SL Diesel Heavy Duty with an aftermarket Jake brake installed as well as a "chip" and some gauges. It has a fifth wheel set up that goes with it I think. I have to find out more about it but its really clean on the outside, a hole or two in the seats. I have to find out more about it's history and stuff but its not the great deal I thought it was going to be if it was a 06.

I does have low miles though will try to take it for a test drive this week, find out all the options and check the blue book on it. I think the price is on the high end after doing a quick look on ebay but we'll see. I hate shopping for new to me vehicles. It's such a roll of the dice.

Thanks for your help everyone will post more as it goes along.

www.helpeddieryan.com

Old 08-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #6

SUN #517
luvrque
2003 = NOT a good Deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medbill
Well took a quick peek at it yesterday before taking my wife to doctor appointments/'tests. Turns out its a 2003 2500 SL Diesel Heavy Duty with an aftermarket Jake brake installed as well as a "chip" and some gauges. It has a fifth wheel set up that goes with it I think. I have to find out more about it but its really clean on the outside, a hole or two in the seats. I have to find out more about it's history and stuff but its not the great deal I thought it was going to be if it was a 06.

I does have low miles though will try to take it for a test drive this week, find out all the options and check the blue book on it. I think the price is on the high end after doing a quick look on ebay but we'll see. I hate shopping for new to me vehicles. It's such a roll of the dice.

Thanks for your help everyone will post more as it goes along.
Does NOT sound like a good deal at all for a 2003 !
Ck. The GALVES PRICE (that is the only way to find what it is REALLY worth) !
You can find that on the Web..IT will cost you app. $10. or so .......That is the ONLY guide the DEALERS go by.............That would be the price a dealer would pay for any veh. (with NO damage OR problems )..........Then you would add a few hunderd or more to the GALVES price, THEN you KNOW what a GOOD buy is !! No other guide will tell you this!!
MOST people don't even know about GALVES VALUES.

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.
https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...orums/Qsig.jpg
luvrque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #7

SUN #269
medbill
Thanks never heard of Galves! I found another one today just driving home this evening. It's a 2005 with 61k miles, diesel, auto, Dodge 2500 SLT, 4wd, running boards, bedliner real clean for 19500. Now that seems like a much better deal. Gonna give him a ring tonight.

Thanks folks!

www.helpeddieryan.com

Old 08-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #8

SUN #517
luvrque
Quote:
Thanks never heard of Galves! I found another one today just driving home this evening. It's a 2005 with 61k miles, diesel, auto, Dodge 2500 SLT, 4wd, running boards, bedliner real clean for 19500. Now that seems like a much better deal. Gonna give him a ring tonight.

Thanks folks!
medbill,
I just looked GALVES up IT would cost $4.95 to see online. for 24 Hrs. OR
$8.00 for a copy of Light Tuucks fr : 2000? to 2009

I have not bought a Used vehicle in many yrs. but back when I did I always used GALVES. Like I said B4 It is THE ONLY way to find TRUE VAVUE .................

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #9

SUN #269
medbill
2005 DODGE 2500 SLT QUAD CAB

Description

Engine Type: 5.7L V8 HEMI
Body Style: 4 DOOR P/UP
VINCODE:
Standard Features: ABS STD
AC STD
POWER WINDOWS STD

Base Price: @ 56000 miles 11400
Mileage: 61000 miles

Adds and Deducts

4 WHEEL DRIVE +2100
5.9L 6 CYL TURBO DIESEL +5300
POWER SEAT +300

As Equipped Price 19100
Mileage Adjustment -475
GALVES TRADE-IN VALUE 18625
GALVES MARKET READY 19725

www.helpeddieryan.com

Old 08-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
That would tow your 195SR like a dream. My son has a '06 quad cab ( I think that's what the 4 door is called), diesel and he loves it. He is always asking me when I'll be trading my '05 F-350 Power Stroke Diesel in for a "real" diesel. If Dodge had the mega cab out when I was shopping to purchase, I would have a Dodge, simply due to the proven powerplant, but I just couldn't deal with the small door on the 4 door at the time. OH, you might want to check on the size of the rims, and I have "18 inch rims" and WOW does that make tires EXPENSIVE compared to 16 inch rims. My truck has almost 66K on the original Continental Tires and I'm tire shopping right now, and OUCH, best price so far is about $175 bux a tire online from either TireRack.com or TiresDirect.com, plus almost 100 bux shipping. BUT, that is still way cheaper than I can get them around here. Sons dodge has 16 inch rims, so his tires are much more affordable.

Good luck in your search & decision,

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #11

SUN #517
luvrque
Galves VS kelly Blue book

Quote:
2005 DODGE BR2500 SLT QUAD CAB

Description

Engine Type: 5.7L V8 HEMI
Body Style: 4 DOOR P/UP
VINCODE:
Standard Features: ABS STD
AC STD
POWER WINDOWS STD

Base Price: @ 56000 miles 11400
Mileage: 61000 miles

Adds and Deducts

4 WHEEL DRIVE +2100
5.9L 6 CYL TURBO DIESEL +5300
POWER SEAT +300

As Equipped Price 19100
Mileage Adjustment -475
GALVES TRADE-IN VALUE 18625
GALVES MARKET READY 19725

Medbill,

WOW - My 1st. thoughts is GALVES on the Web. Has become a consumer GUIDE. Not the book the dealers use !!
Those $,s Do not look like DEALER PRICES.
I have not used GALVES for app. 9 years.....
When I did I got the GALVES Book from a friend, ( a Wholesale Dealer )

I would GUESS the kelly blue book $,s are App. the same.

Could you PLEASE ck. the Blue Bk. and Post the results ?

Thank you, I would appreciate it.
I think that would be helpfull for everyone........

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #12

SUN #269
medbill
Blue Book Private Party Value

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Pickup Quad Cab Short Bed
More Photos

Condition Value

Excellent
$23,770

Good
$22,970

Fair
$21,920

www.helpeddieryan.com

Old 08-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #13

SUN #269
medbill
Took it for a test drive over to my house and my wife likes it as well. Gonna see if I can make this happen, wish me luck!

I spoke with the seller its actually his son's truck but he wants a car instead of the big truck. Gonna see if he would take my wife's Eclipse as a partial trade, that would be sweet! I'll get it checked out by my mechanic before pulling the trigger and we'll see what happens. Felt great driving a "real" truck compared to my Tacoma but that truck certainly has its niche and I'll be really happy that its staying in the family.

Thanks for all the help, the big selling point to me is the transferable extended warranty.

Have a lot of balls in the air today, bro in hospital with chest pains, jobs with firewood, repairing wifes car and running around like a nut. Why does stuff like this happen all at once? Makes life interesting I guess.

www.helpeddieryan.com

Old 08-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #14

SUN #517
luvrque
Medbill,

Thanks for ck'n. the Blue bk. value.
So, the GALVES still gives more realistic values as compared to Kelly Blue Book Etc.
Good luck with all thats going on. I hope everything works out for you..........

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.