Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
LT Tires on trailers

Hi Folks

I know in the past there has been talk of some folks going to LT tires on their campers as a trailer tire as an alternative to ST’s and for higher quality. While I have not researched this totally yet it is one of those things I have not yet found shown up in print yet until recently. This has over time been on my mind as an option to when my Denmans age out in a few years.

Here is some background digging I have down. See this flat bed goose neck equipment trailer.

As you can see from the dual tandem axles this trailer is made to haul weight.

Now it got my curiosity to what tires it had in it. H’mm Transforce HT Radial LT tires by Firestone

Now looking up Big Tex trailers they supply trailers with LT radials as standard. And the offer ST tires as options as well.

Trailer manufacturer of open flatbed utility, goosenecks, landscape, auto haulers, ATV and equipment trailers to fit any need!

http://www.bigtextrailers.com/pdf/product.pdf See page 61 and forward for specs.

So at least one equipment trailer mfg has no issues using LT radial tires on tandem axle trailers.

Now to a TT manufacture. This one I found out while camping with a buddy a short while ago.

See here. This camper is one the toy hauler kind that has the open toy deck up front and these monster knobby tires. KZ calls this their Rock Climber edition. KZ Recreational Vehicles: Coyote Rock Climber Travel Trailer Toy Haulers

And the sticker right from the OEM.

It appears KZ has now crossed into the LT tire world at least on this type of camper. I can't find anything on it on their web site other then the tire size.

So if equipment trailer manufactures use LT tires and now KZ as well on a TT, this ads more credit at least that is being done by OEM trailer manufactures.

Any one found anything in print from credited sources of why not to use LT’s?

John

PS. If you are thinking of upgrading, watch what rim tire pressure yours can handle. May have to upgrade rims as well.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
LT Tire Possibilities

I've gotten very familiar with Tirerack.com as I'm researching new TV tires and also did some trailer browsing in case I suddenly need to replace the Maxxis I'm carefully monitoring. John's post got me looking up some more options so these links should save others the time.

When looking for non ST tires that might be suitable for a trailer I started with commercial truck, summer highway. It's a given this will be strong stiff tire with "smooth" tread that will provide a good solid footprint on the road. I fail to see the desirability of a squirmy knobby tire on a trailer, but doubt that they would de-stabilize a good setup. ST tires have minimal tread depth, so I checked that too, and knobby tires always have extra depth and even more squirm. I was also looking for tires that would fit into my 2499 size and wheel well. People with the larger SR trailers would actually have even more options.

Just for comparison here is Goodyear Marathon Radial.

I really like the Continental Vanco 2. Its load capacity is slightly higher than the OEM ST205/75R15 LRC and 55 psi is good too. A 65 series tire is always shorter than 75 and so this will likely be a very stiff sidewall. All good. It also comes in larger sizes for SR trailers.

Goodyear Cargo G26 is also a nice tire, but very expensive. So what's it got that the $88 Marathon doesn't have? I'm guessing it's a better tire

Al mentioned having 7.00X15 LT on a trailer. I had a set of these years ago on 69 Chev 1/2 ton. I only found one, and it's a radial, on Tirerack, but think it's too tall for the 2499. Yokohama RY215

The biggest problem with alternate tires is that the size selection is usually very small. That's the case with Firestone Transforce HT which has plenty of capacity in bigger sizes, but just doesn't match up well with Sunline.

If you haven't used Tirerack.com much, work through these examples and get familiar with how their site works. It's a very useful site. I've never bought from them because shipping to Canada kills their advantage. My brother in IL has bought all his tires from Tirerack for years. They have local installers right across the US and no one has ever hassled him for not buying local. They probably make more money on a tire install anyway than on the sale.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Hi Henry!

We've had LT tires on the fifth wheel, for almost a year now. I did a lot of research and decided to go with the Maxxis Bravo tires, that the dealer offered us. I was very hesitant to go with foreign-made tires, but the reviews were good. I would NEVER have gone with Maxxis ST tires though. These tires now have around 1,300 miles on them and they look in great shape still. The size wasn't exactly the same. We had ST235/80-16 on it and the LT tires are LT235/85-16. Not much difference at all. The ride on them is great. Sunny seems to like them. Here is a picture of the tire we went with. They have several tread patterns and the pic shows what we have...

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #4

SUN #89
Henry

Thanks for the info in your post. Odd I cannot find that Cargo G26 on the US Good year site. How did you come up with that is a LT tire? or is is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryj View Post

I fail to see the desirability of a squirmy knobby tire on a trailer, but doubt that they would de-stabilize a good setup. ST tires have minimal tread depth, so I checked that too, and knobby tires always have extra depth and even more squirm.
Now the the knobby tires on the KZ. Yes I too would never put them on my TT. The wiggle and squirm would be high. The only thing I see going for the knobbies is maybe the off road ability to turn better then the smooth road tires. The knob tire will roll in mud and yuk as the smooth road tire just fills up with mud and bogs down. I did ask the camping buddy, do these things make a lot of road noise and how do they handle? He said they made no more noise then normal and they handled OK. He was towing with an Excursion and a DC hitch so that may have helped compensate for the squirm. And there is also level of softness of the rubber. The harder rubber does not squirm as bad as the softer rubber does. I really did not try and check the durometer he had as compared to mine.

I think KZ may have done it more for looks. When I saw the name, Rock Crawler and then the Toy hauler feature I thought it had a heavy off road suspension. After looking under it, nope. It is the same RV industry light duty hangers and frame near the hangers. The question now is, why did they go LT? Was it an alternative to the ST or was it they could not get the knobs in ST? Good question. But the point is they went LT on a TT.

John

Old 12-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #5

SUN #89
Hi Gary,

Glad you joined in the conversation as I knew you where one of the ones who went LT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
I would NEVER have gone with Maxxis ST tires though.

Now to your and Henry's comments on the Maxxis ST's. H'mm I myself had good luck with Maxxis on the T2499 and the T310. If I could not of got the Denmans for the T310 I would of went Maxxis as Marathons where on the China stint then. They came from Sunline with Maxxis. At 5 years sure to form cracks came in the thread. And it was right about on 5 years. From the offshore tires they had the better reviews of most that I had found.

This does come back to the other tire post as Henry pointed out. Quality of the Trailer tires is just not as high as auto tires. While auto tires wear faster in 5 years due to mileage I have not seen the cracks come as fast as they do on ST trailer tires.

3 years from now I will be back to, what do I put on the T310?

John

Old 12-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Quality of the Trailer tires is just not as high as auto tires. While auto tires wear faster in 5 years due to mileage I have not seen the cracks come as fast as they do on ST trailer tires.

3 years from now I will be back to, what do I put on the T310?

John
This will make for an interesting comparison for us. Since our LT tires won't wear out due to mileage (I wish!) I'm wondering how they will hold up to cracking.

As a side note... We only bought one tire cover, for the fifth wheel. It goes on the door-side tires. The slide-side tires are always covered by the slide when it's out and don't get direct sunlight. Even in the Sunny pit, they are on the north side and never get direct sunlight. I want to see how they look, compared to the covered tires, in a few years.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #7

SUN #597
henryj
Hi John,
Interesting that Tirerack sells the Goodyear Cargo G26 when it's not on Goodyear's website. I did find it in Google on their European site Cargo G26 | Goodyear Light Truck Tires where it comes in even more sizes. While not specifically identified as LT (maybe not used in Europe), all sizes are LRC and it is designated as a light truck/van tire on the website.

Gary, thanks for that info. I didn't know you had the Maxxis UE-168(N) Bravo Series. That tire comes in a wide range of sizes with some real Sunline options in the list. From some of the smaller sizes--which are most likely trailer applications--this definitely seems to be one of the LT tires that many of us have seen on equipment trailers. The tread also has a "trailer" look to it. Since I've been digging into some of these options, I'm pretty sure that I won't be buying ST tires again.

I also have never covered the tires on the north side. It makes sense that all the cover does is shade the tire so why bother. On the 5 yr old Missions I noticed no difference between the south and north side. In fact there was zero checking on all 4.

Henry
Old 12-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #8

SUN #115
emam
I've never understood why people put those knobby tires on a trailer?

I'm spend quite a bit of time on another forum that is pretty heavy into Overland Travel and off-road style exploration and many of the custom built trailers have knobby tires on them so they match the Tow Vehicle.

This way all the tires and spares can be used universally. Makes much more sence, but why would anyone want to tow a trailer with knobby tires?

For one, it would be a rougher ride, make the fuel efficiency worse and they usually cost more to replace.

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by emam View Post
I've never understood why people put those knobby tires on a trailer?

Lots of people really don't care about mileage/ride/costs... It must be, because it looks "Cool"

Old 12-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #10

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryj View Post

I didn't know you had the Maxxis UE-168(N) Bravo Series. That tire comes in a wide range of sizes with some real Sunline options in the list. From some of the smaller sizes--which are most likely trailer applications--this definitely seems to be one of the LT tires that many of us have seen on equipment trailers. The tread also has a "trailer" look to it. Since I've been digging into some of these options, I'm pretty sure that I won't be buying ST tires again.

Henry
Hi Henry,

Thanks for the more research, however in my tire size there is not a fit in the Maxxis UE size. I have ST225/75R15 Load Range D 2,540# at 65 psi. And I have a 10,000# GVWR so I need all of that tire.

They have a 80 psi tire but it is 16". I may have to get rims some day too.... but in my case fender clearance is not a lot of excess. Sunline even made low riders on the slide models and I really do not want to flip the axles. This thing eat enough air now going down the road.

Also while searching this I found out that Titan Tire bought the assets of Denman Tire. Interstitial Ad - Modern Tire Dealer However going to the Titan site they do not yet list a trailer tire even though they show one on the front of their trailer components catalog. Titan Titan | America's Best Since 1898 make a lot of off road big stuff like Denman did which is why they most likely bought up the rights. Hopefully Titan will start making the trailer tire line again, here in the US.

The search continues.

John

Old 12-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #11

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
Lots of people really don't care about mileage/ride/costs... It must be, because it looks "Cool"
That is the only thing that made much sense seeing them on there... they look

I guess "cool" is in the eyes of the beholder....

Old 12-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #12

SUN #149
nasa42a
Lightbulb

Folks....

As the tire discussion appears to have broadened to include the issue of optional brands....allow me to add a name and a brief recent experience....

Our current trailer came shod with Duro tires (ST 205/75D14). Info on them can be found at http://www.durotire.com/products.php or at http://www.atvandtrailertires.com .

When we were bargaining for the TT, part of the deal ended up being that the dealer'd pull the wheels and repack the bearings (a standard requirement for us). Looked at as we checked out the rig, all 4 Duro tires appeared to be in new/excellent condition. (I confess I didn't check the tire manufacture date on the sidewalls).

However, when the dealer pulled the wheels to repack the bearings, the technician immediately informed the service manager that:
==>(a) one of the tires had noticable sidewall cracking on the inside (brakedrum) side, and the others looked a bit questionable, though the cracking wasn't fully developed, and
==>(b) he felt the tires shouldn't both be delivered to a buyer nor pass state inspection in that condition.

The dealer (Mellott's, Willow Street, PA) immediately contacted their tire distributer and secured new....satisfactory....replacement tires and mounted them before delivering the TT to us (delivery time was delayed by 4 hours). The service manager explained all this to us. His guess was that the TT frame with axles and tires had been manufactured several years before the TT build date (02/10).....and with the bad economy ended up sitting in a factory lot in the sun until the RV sales picked up again, accounting for the deterioration. By the time we picked up the TT, the old tires had gone back to Mellott's tire distributer, and I wasn't able to look at their manufacture date.

So...when our road use of the Duro tires begins (02/10, hopefully), we'll keep records so we can comment on the quality of our experience with them. Perhaps other SOC members already have Duro experience.

John....do you think an entire forum area on tires with individual threads assigned to brands of ST and/or LT tires would enable useful experience commentary and comparison?

Frank
nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #13

SUN #778
Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Last year, when taking our 1991 SOB out of the storage lot, one valve stem broke off in my hand when checking pressure. Caused me to look at the date codes. I could only conclude the tires were on the trailer when it left the factory. They were Goodyear Marathon, made in Canada. I had not given much thought to the age of the tires, because regular inspections showed them to be without any cracking.
Regardless, we bought five new Marathon tires. I was smart enough to insist on recent build dates, but i was royally pi---d (that is shorthand for peeved) when I noticed the "MADE IN CHINA" .
If that is now the only option for ST tires, the LT option starts to look more and more interesting.
Roar
Old 12-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #14

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa42a View Post

John....do you think an entire forum area on tires with individual threads assigned to brands of ST and/or LT tires would enable useful experience commentary and comparison?

Frank
Frank,

Thank you for your excellent post. I can tell you have been around the block on buying trailers insisting that the wheel bearings get check for the get go. GREAT for you.

Good point about older parts and tires too even when brand new. Never thought of that.

Interested to here you Duro adventures. There was a stint in time when they had a bad rap but I have heard they since may have corrected the

You mentioned making a special forum just for tires. I do not know if there is enough traffic yet to create the forum by itself however your point is very good. I can and will add a subsection in the new Sunline FAQ/Articles forum. There is a collection of tire discussions there now and we can easily add to them. That is exactly what the new forum was intended for. If this grows enough we can create a Sunline Article section out of just this topic. See here section 9 http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f1...ics-11922.html

Thanks

John

Old 12-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #15

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Last year, when taking our 1991 SOB out of the storage lot, one valve stem broke off in my hand when checking pressure. Caused me to look at the date codes. I could only conclude the tires were on the trailer when it left the factory. They were Goodyear Marathon, made in Canada. I had not given much thought to the age of the tires, because regular inspections showed them to be without any cracking.
Regardless, we bought five new Marathon tires. I was smart enough to insist on recent build dates, but i was royally pi---d (that is shorthand for peeved) when I noticed the "MADE IN CHINA" .
If that is now the only option for ST tires, the LT option starts to look more and more interesting.
Roar
Roar,

It seems Good Year had a stint with the China syndrome. From what we can piece together on camping forums, GY did start moving the Marathon to China. But then they had issues of same kind and we believe they may have flipped back here to the states. Or at least until they resolved the off shore quality issues.

We have had some here on SOC still able to get them in the USA made vintage.

Also interesting your 1991 Marathons showed no signs of cracking. H'mm better rubber?

I know the make up of the tire has a lot to with the cracking. I have seen many a rear tractor tire go 20 years plus and no cracks. Heavy, heavy tires pulling gobs of torque, no real speed but a lot of pulling and no cracks. Granted you don't want to be running out and dropping $800 a tire too often either....

Hopefully GY will keep the Marathon here in the US

Old 12-15-2010, 01:35 AM   #16

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Also interesting your 1991 Marathons showed no signs of cracking. H'mm better rubber?
I've got a set of Marathons in the garage from early 1992 (I haven't checked the date code though) that have no signs of cracking or anything. The trailer was built 3/92, so they have to be earlier than that. Granted they have been garaged just about all of their life, but still... They made a few trips to Florida and back, as well as all around to other nearby states to here. If it wasn't for fear of age and the flat spots developed in them over the years mainly from locking up the brakes, they'd still be run today.

I only keep them because they are the original style for 1997 and if I ever restore a particular one and need the OEM style tire...

I would have no fear in putting those tires on and driving around town with them. We only replaced them due to expecting to take a longer trip to FL with it again. I just would fear running them for a while on the highway now or relying on them for excessive braking that would cause more heat buildup.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #17

SUN #597
henryj
Upgraded to LT

Introduction
This spring I was forced to toss the two year old Maxxis ST tires--made in Thailand--because of severe cracking in the treads. The original late 2004 Missions--made in China--sat in the sun for 1½ years until we bought the 2499, were then covered and were in perfect condition when I replaced them in spring 2009. Since buying ST again felt like a known risk, I put my money instead on 5 Yokohama G051 LT215/75R15 LRC on 4 new 15X6 wheels. Upgrading from ST to LT addresses two issues that arise with ST tires: 1) inconsistent quality--I've seen that first hand; 2) lack of choice in ST, particularly of a premium tire.

Anyone thinking of upgrading from ST to LT should read Carlisle's promo on ST tires and decide for themselves whether it's a good idea or not. I think they overstate their case a little plus they have a vested interest as they only sell ST. I admit to some anxiety, however, as I rolled off the driveway for the first time wondering whether tire squirm in the tight turn to the road would dismount all 4 tires from their rims and leave me at the curb with a $1000 debacle... and no serviceable tires. Needless to say, the tires did not squirm off the rims... nor did the wheels fall off. And I did have an email from Yokohama saying it was ok to use these tires on a tandem axle trailer.

Research
Coincidentally I was in the market for new LT tires for my truck and P tires for my car at the same time. This made the research more productive as I prowled Tirerack.com comparing specs--overall diameter and load capacity in particular--and country of origin, then focused in on select manufacturers' web sites for additional detail. In a Tirerack search, 33 tires showed up as OEM replacements for my truck's LT245/75R16. Not all are made in NA, but some very good tires can be selected that are made only in the US and Canada. Only Pirelli, a universally off shore manufacturer, has 4 sizes of its LT tire (not the one for my truck) made in China. In other words, if I wanted to buy an LT tire from China, I'd have to look for one. A second Tirerack search for P205/65R15 for my car returned 42 tires with similar results--including Pirelli and Fuzion as the only brands with significant manufacturing in China. The P205 was much more "all over the map" than the LT245, but the traditional NA manufacturers--and Michelin is one of those now too--have excellent tires available that are made locally. A third search of Tirerack for ST205 was not necessary. They only carry the Goodyear Marathon and all sizes are made only in China.

Note that once a Tirerack search on size returns 20 or 30 tires, the search parameters can be highly fine turned on the left side of the page so that only XL or LRC etc. remain on screen.

Options
There aren't many, but that's still more than with ST. I chose the Yokohama G051 in LT215/75/R15 LRC as the numbers looked good and I had a very good experience with this tire in LT225 on my previous truck. I should point out that the LT215 is made in Japan, but most other sizes of the G051 are US made.

The Continental Vanco 2 lost out only because of my familiarity with the Yoko.

The Goodyear Wrangler HT ranks in the bottom half, has an aggressive tread and is an expensive LRD tire. The same for a couple of others from BFG and Kumho.

Interestingly there are a couple of good options at 195/70R15 LRD, but these are shorter tires and would reduce my already low trailer's ground clearance. They're worth a look for anyone with flipped axles.

I considered, but eliminated P tires that went to 51 psi--XL load range. Examples, like the Pirelli Scorpion STR A start at 225 and I deemed them to be too tall at more than an inch over the ST205. However, the majority of P tires in XL come in at 235 and are even taller.

I also ignored 16" tires of which there are a lot of choices because I believe they are too tall and with 5 bolt axles I wasn't about to look around for suitable, even more expensive 5 bolt truck wheels that also need to be zero offset.

ST vs. LT
ST tires are perceived to be stronger than LT and it's hard to argue with the numbers molded into the sidewall. However, ST load tests are much less rigorous than LT. The OEM ST205/75R15 LRC has a rated load capacity of 1820 lb. at 65 mph. The Yoko LT215/75R15 LRC has a rated load capacity of 1765 lb. at 100 mph. LT truck tires are speed rated at Q, R or S--molded into the sidewall. Unfortunately some larger trailer tires have also started using LT rather than ST, but these are not speed rated and are still limited to 65 mph or possibly 75. Rolling tires generate heat from external road friction and internal sidewall flex friction. The faster a tire travels the more heat it generates and the less opportunity it has to shed that heat. According to load/inflation tables, a tire that is stationary or restricted to a slow speed, can carry as much as 165% of its rated load. It is my belief that the ST load advantage comes solely from the 65 mph speed limit rather than superior construction. I don't have the numbers to compare these apples and oranges, but my gut says the LT is a much stronger tire. Nevertheless, it was important for me to get a tire that at least matched up with my 3500 lb. axles. Since my scaled travel weight is 4700 lb. on the tandems and the LT gives me 7060 lb., I have a comfortable margin as well as being over the 7000 lb. GVWR which is how Sunline spec'd the OEM tires even though 1000 lb. of the GVWR is on the tongue.

The LT215 is 0.7" taller that the ST205, but still a good fit for the wheel well. There are no scuff marks anywhere from contact despite some huge bumps that snuck up on us and actually twice sprung the swivel rocker from its velcro--never had that happen before. The old tire covers still fit, but somewhat more snugly and the BAL tire chock needs to be cranked almost right down, but also fits comfortably.

The 15X6 wheels weigh 1 lb. more than 15X5 and the LT tires are 6 lb. heavier for an additional weight of 7 lb. per assembly. This is unsprung weight, which is not a good thing, but I feel it is reasonable given our relatively light travel weight and the heavy duty EZ Flex suspension upgrade done a number of years ago.

I have a TPMS that can monitor tire temperature as well. Unfortunately I don't have any temp numbers from the old ST. We left home the 3rd week of July in a massive heat wave and traveled through IN, IL, IA and NE with air temps peaking at 100 or slightly above. We stopped early so didn't drive at the highest temps, but the truck's readout was mostly at 94°F with the trailer tires at 56 psi and 120°F. IMHO these are very respectable numbers at such high ambient temps. The ST tires never traveled in that kind of heat and yet were always at least at that psi. These are just interesting numbers--there's absolutely nothing scientific and no control of external factors like road surface. Later in the trip, at an ambient temp of 76°F the tires were at 55 psi and 110°F.

Performance
I can't tell that our trailer is riding on LT rather than ST. I can't say it performs better as that would be impossible to measure especially after not towing for 6 mon., but it feels as stable and secure as it did before. We have 6-7000 mi. on the tires after our western trip. We drove on all possible road surfaces including miles of gravel, rutted asphalt and bouncy concrete. We had passing semis on the Interstate, winds from all directions--especially prevailing westerly during a long north/south run in and beside the mountains from Jasper to Yellowstone--and we had very strong west winds the last day on I75 including a wind warning on the Mackinac Bridge. So, that leaves only longevity as an unknown. Hopefully the LT's will at least outlive the Maxxis.

Henry
Old 10-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #18

SUN #89
Henry,

Sorry for not responding sooner, Sept has been a blur with work on overload... But it helps pay for the camping habit so we work.

Your post as usual is exceptional. How your Maxxis broke down like that is still well "shocking". I have had 2 pairs of Maxxis and come the 4.5 to 5 year mark thread cracks started. Nothing like what you had but fine thread cracks none the less. Had no other issues with them but still the cracks are concerning. They have a better rap then most, but obviously they are not flawless as you had living proof.

I have Good Year tractor tires on my tractor that is now over 29 years old. Still the original tires, lives in dirt, abuse in pulling, outside in the sun, cost about $500 at the time, each, but still no cracks. Even the front tires which are implement tires, now 19 years old, still no cracks. Now they do not tow down the highway at 55mph but still the age and weight they are under is comparative. There is obviously a difference in the rubber make up.

Two years from now I'm going to be in the situation with needing new camper tires. The Denmans ST radials I have now are doing very well. But they went out of business about a year or more ago. Thus the hunt for a better TT tire. This tire saga mess on TT tires is really a free for all right now. There are no high end ST tires for sale even. I would have zero issues paying more money for a higher quality tire, but they are not even offered. The best an RV'er can do now who is not into the research is buy from the tire shop they trust and what they recommend and keep the tire inflated to max side wall cold pressure at every trip. Don't push the 5 year limit and try your hardest to demand tires no older then 1 year when you buy them. Ideally 6 months or less old.

In my size, the ST 225/75R15 D range creates a problem finding LT tires to fit in the wheel well. 16" LT's I can't get in there and I'm not up for an axle flip to make that work. Maxxis does make a E range ST225/75R15 that would have a higher load capacity as a safety margin, but that means new rims to handle the 80psi. And if I need new rims I would like to have the LT's of a better quality tire to go with them.

The search continues. I read through the Carlise flyer. A good article however they are leaving out all the heavy hauling goose neck trailers out there with LT's on them, fifth wheels and even some TT's right from the factory.

Thanks for reporting back in such great detail. Much appreciated.

John

Old 10-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #19

SUN #89
Hi Folks

I ran into this Fellow RV'er on RV net. He is a 40 year retired tire engineer who lives not to far from me in Arkon, Ohio. And any one knowing Akron knows of Good Year being there. I do not know if Roger worked for Good Year but I'm sure he was associated with them.

He now runs a blog about RV tire safety. I am hoping to possibly get in touch with him about commenting on LT and ST tires in a trailer situation.

You can subscribe to his blog and get an email when he posts something new. For those of you who have not heard of Roger here is his blog.

RV Tire Safety

Down on the lower right are blogs from March through September on all good topics about Tires and your camper.

Thanks

John

Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #20

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
OK guys....you talked about the tire pressure for the rims.....where can I find that info?

Leo and I will be putting the trailer into winter storage on Saturday and we will need to purchase 4 new tires come spring and I'm trying to have all the info I might need to do so.

Henry - Leo was asking if we could put a larger tire on the 2499...if I read your post correctly you went from a 205 to 215 and purchase 4 new rims......did you NEED to purchase the rims to fit the tires or was it for the tire pressure you and John B referred to?

Oh another quick question....how "old" is too "old" to purchase new tires? Should the mfg date be within 3 - 6 - 9 - 12 months?????

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote