Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #1

SUN #590
Irishcamper
John B. help!! Where to attach WD cleats to frame

John, I'm attaching a pair of WD cleats to my frame of my camper and I didn't know if there was a set distance back each side to attach them. I have not tried it yet, but maybe it is easier than I think if I just put my bars on and see where they meet up on the frame. Thanks for the help.

Dave
Northumberland, PA

PS- Enjoyed your pics from this past weekend.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #2

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you have the WD setup or the dual cam sway control?

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Dave,

I believe I've been told by John that the snap-up brackets need to be positioned so that the chains from the WD bars or Cams pull straight up and down. This is so they each pull even weight.

Should you have to have a slight angle in the chains (like to avoid a battery box), make sure to do so with both sides equally so they pull up equal weight. Just make sure the chains don't interfere with one side of the hinge...if it does, you'll have to reposition some stuff, but I really doubt you'd have this problem.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Dave

What type/brand WD hitch do you have?

Reason I ask is there are certain clearances that need to be in place for turns if you have a somewhat standard WD hitch using chains.

Assuming you have a standard WD hitch that uses chains and using a form of sway control other then the Reese Dual cam, like a friction sway bar. When the TV is straight in line with the TT, the chains should hang straight vertical as possible. As you go around a turn the chains push and pull to the front and back of the chain snap up bracket. The goal is to not bind up the chains in the snap up bracket in the tightest turn you can make. How to create this swinging clearance is have the chain straight up and down when the TT and TV are straight in line and to have enough links of chain between the WD bar and the snap up hook. Many brands recommend 5 links of chain as a minimum however that is not a hard fast rule as some real wide frames need more. What you do need is the swinging clearance and the 1 size fits all instructions do not show this. 3", 4", 5" 6" and 8" wide frames all have different requirements.

Here see this pic from a Draw-Tite brand snap up of what not to do. The chain needs to gbe long enough to create a swinging angel to not bind in the snap up or have the WD bar dig into the TT frame.

Here is a round WD bar set up, again the WD bar needs clearance during turns

And even on a sq trunnion bar, it too needs clearance so the chains do not bind.

When I say straight vertical, I mean within a degree or so. If you put a small torpedo level next to it you are golden. Just try not and be on a 5 to 10 degree angle on purpose or sooner or later a bind may come.

Now if you have the Dual Cam, this setup has more freedom as the chains are not attached to the WD bars, they are on the cam. In this case the chain still should be straight up and down if you can obtain it. This way the snap up bracket over time does not slide down the frame trying to become vertical. If you have a DC and the snap up has to be on very much of an angle, then bolt the brackets on and there will be no sliding going on. I have bolted mine, but that is because I have a heavy tongue and in some turns it can straighten out the snap up.

Here you can see on the DC type, the chains stay put and the WD slides over the cam

Hope this helps.

If you need help, fire away and pop a few pics so we can see what you have. We have a good bunch of hitch helpers on the forum. No question to simple to answer

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #5

SUN #590
Irishcamper
Thank you John and everyone else. It sure does help. I just have the standard WD bars. Hope to get her hooked up this weekend for our first run with the 195SR. Thanks again.

Dave
Northumberland, PA
Old 04-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishcamper
Thank you John and everyone else. It sure does help. I just have the standard WD bars. Hope to get her hooked up this weekend for our first run with the 195SR. Thanks again.

Dave
Northumberland, PA
Dave glad it helped. Have a good time this weekend and come back with pics. You know us curious types....

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote