Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #1

SUN #639
Harryo
Help Help

Hello All, I have been camping sense 1960 or so.So i should know the answers to these ?. well here goes was reading the posts on low units dragging.I could not clear the speed bumps around here. It is not the trailer dragging but the jacks. Took the unit to the dealer and he looked at the hookup.Told me that i needed to hook the chain on the weight bars to the forth link. Was using the third. Well this cleared the bumps but put a lot of strain on bars ,the only way that i can hookup is to get the tt level And with it hooked with bars off raise the pickup truck really high. then i can get the forth link hooked. And even then it is hard to fasten chain down. And when i unhook i really have to be careful or i will give me a snach. my tt is a 1999 2990 solais no slide outs.This set up seems dangerous to me.But can't get out of the drive way with out doing it this way.Any advice will be much appreciated. this is a great forum have picked up lots of ideas,Harryo

Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #2

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Harry,

If you scroll down a little on this thread there's an explanation regarding setting up weight distribution.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...pic.php?t=2019

I'm sure if you've got concerns or questions folks here will have input that will get you on the right track. JohnB did a presentation to the Meet and Greet group this past Saturday with an in depth explanation towards getting optimal settings for WD. The two times I went to different trailer stores last month to get information about my set up and potential needs all they wanted to do was sell me something.

One thing to consider, everyone's hook ups and weights are unique with different tow vehicles and sunline models in the mix along with the variety of WD brands available.

Take care,
Jason

Old 06-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Harry

I'll see if I can help. However I cannot exactly figure out the issue from your description. Let's see if we can clear some things up.

Is the front jack dragging or the rear? You said you increased the spring tension and it made it clear. This sound like the front.

You are having problem snapping up the bars and you have jacked the TT and TV way up. This sounds like you may have some hitch setup issues. Let's see.

What size WD bars do you have? (What rating are they)

What brand WD hitch do you have?

And you said: "Told me that i needed to hook the chain on the weight bars to the forth link. Was using the third. "

I do not know if you are referring to the number of links under tension or the number of dangling free links. How many chain links under tension did you adjust it to and how many under tension did you have it at before?

You should not have to strain that hard to snap up. If you are, yes it is dangerous. You may be fighting a WD hitch setup issue or maybe a technique issue.

If the bar is really straining, it may be too light for the tongue weight. Meaning using a 800# rated bar on a 1,100# tongue.

Have you ever weighed the TT tongue?

I looked up your 99, T2990. It listed 740# dry tongue with a dry GVW of 4,915. And it has a 7,000# GVWR.

H’mm also, tell us about the TV and what is loaded in the back of the truck aft of the rear axle? A bunch of fire wood or other camping supplies? The WD bars have to also lift the cargo in the TV aft of the rear axle. Need to know what you have back there.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:27 AM   #4

SUN #246
Janalee

Harry,
First of all, welcome to the forum--I see you are a new member. I have no solution for you other than to remove your skid bars like we did on our 2653-they break quite easily anyway-and we now have no drag at all. Secondly--I am excited to see you have a 2990!! I have been looking for one to buy but they seem to be a rather rare item..let me know if you decide to sell or even if you are near to my location so I could see it in person (I have only seen one other and it was much older)..I am near Scranton, Pa...I could PM you with my email address if you wish. Thanks! Jan and John
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #5

SUN #639
Harryo
Hello Jan, Thanks for the welcome.You know Jan it is funny you asked about selling the TT. If you had asked two weeks ago i would have say yes right off.My health has not been that good .Had a heart attact 12 years ago then had to have a pacemaker put in.and i turned 73 in april so my mind was having trouble with my body.telling it that there is things we use to do that we can't do now.Like snatching those weight bars up and down.Had ourself a great pity party.The party lasted only a few day and now it is over.My wife Margaret and i loves camping and meeting other folks.Jan don.t want to miss lead you . the trailer is not for sale. but if should be one day you will be the first to know.and yes please pm you e-mail address. Harry