Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #1

SUN #517
luvrque
Fuel Stabilizer for Tow Vehicle...

At times I don't use my TV for 60 to 90 days, should I ad Fuel Stabilizer (Sta-Bil or the like) for those times ? How long does Gas take to deteriorate ? (I do know it does in App. 6 months ) But 2 to 3 months.? Thanks in advance for any input.................Joe

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.
https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...orums/Qsig.jpg
luvrque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #2

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stabilizer

I don't know how long it takes for gas to deteriorate but I always put a container in over the summer when I don't drive my motorhome much and this year before we left in our Sunline I put in a container.

It never seems to cause any problem nor have I had any problem with the gas after extensive storage.

Norm Milliard

Old 12-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you really have something else to worry about. I've heard that they are changing the gas now to contain more alcohol, so when it sits, the alcohol will evaporate.

As for the Sta-Bil, I think it might be a good idea to add it for that long of a time.

We usually have one Excursion sitting at some point, but they only usually sit for a month or so and in a heated garage. Never had a problem with either one. My Grandpa also leaves his Mountaineer in his garage here when he's in FL, and it can sit for for up to four months at a time. To the best of my knowledge he's never used anything in it and never had a problem until this past time when they came back. I usually try to start it up at least every month or so, but I hadn't this time and the battery was almost dead. But once it got charged, it started and ran just fine.

I almost forgot we haven't put any in our boat and it's sat through a few winters now and had no problems in the spring. We should put it in but are usually rushed to winterize and just don't think about it until winter.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #4

SUN #385
Hematite
Yeah, sitting for 90 days, I would add Stabil. The stability of gas has gotten less as the yield per gallon of crude has been increased over the years. The lower the tune of your engine, the less you will notice the deterioration.

Stabil is relatively cheap and it's good insurance if the vehicle sits.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #5

SUN #287
nickster60
I use lots of Stabil. I think it is good insurance. My boat repairman tells me that gasoline loses 1 octane point for every month it is stored.
nickster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #6

SUN #778
Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Good morning, and a beautiful one it is!
10°F with the sun shining over a snow covered landscape and frost on the tree branches. Not so good for camping, but pretty non the less.
I can't answer how fast gasoline deteriorates.
It probably depends on several factors, the biggest one being what is in your gasoline.
Gasoline you buy at the pump these days is very different than the stuff we used to get 40 or more years ago, and there are so many variations depending on where you live and what time of year it is.
I know for sure that gasoline goes bad!
I spent about $700 on each of my two CBX motorcycles this spring to have the carburetors cleaned. After the winter sleep, one would not run well at low speed and it would only fire on half of the cylinders at idle (clogged idle / low speed jets). The other would not run at all. The float valves were stuck, so gasoline just poured out of the overflow tube when I opened the valve on the tank.
I can not remember for sure if I had used Stabil, but I found out something interesting about the product.
Guess what?! Stabil is not stable!
I had been using a fresh bottle, as the half used bottle got pushed in the back of the shelf, and I forgot that it was there.
When I looked at it, I got curious when I saw some crud on the bottom of the bottle. The content was also darker in color than the fresh bottle.
Upon further investigation I found that the "crud" turned out to be shiny, deep purple, flat and fairly uniform small pieces with a crystalline structure.
I wondered what that was, so I contacted the manufacturer.
They said it was the color added to the product separating out, and that after opening the container, it is only good for two years!
Nowhere is that stated on the container, that I could find.
They did send me a fresh bottle free of charge though.
I have switched to a product called "StarTron", so we'll see how that works.
Also, here in MI, I don't see the "Contains 10% Ethanol" labels on the gas pumps any more, but I am pretty sure it is in there. Seems like the corn lobby has succeeded in eliminating that requirement in order to keep us consumers in the dark!
FWIW
Roar
Old 01-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #7

SUN #517
luvrque
Thanks to all for the inputs............
Roar,
The Sta-bil container does say "can be used for up to two years after opening bottle". For app.10 yrs. I have been using Sta-bil in any engine I will not use for app. 6 mos. Before that I used what think was Gas-store. App. 15-20 yrs.ago I also had carburetor clogging in 2 small engines that I did not use for app. 6 mos. then I started using Gas-store or Sta-bil and have not had a problem since..........
Joe

2007 Que RE
2011 Tahoe LTZ.
https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...orums/Qsig.jpg
luvrque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #8

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
I use Sta-bil in my lawn tractor, lawn mower and generator. I have not used it in my truck yet, but now that I don't drive it much EXCEPT to tow, perhaps I should consider it.

I've had that separation happen in some of my Sta-bil, too. I threw out the old stuff... bought new.

I run Seafoam through my motorcycle and lawn tractor regularly to keep the carbs cleaned out. I 've run Seafoam in my truck, too. It works really well to clean the carb/injectors of gunk. I wonder... is gunk a new component of gasoline these days?
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #9

SUN #778
Gasoline syabilizer

Joe,
By golly, you are right.
How did I miss it?

I drive my 36 years old Beetle only four to six weeks a year, so it sits for close to 11 months at a time. Once it sat for two years without any ill effects, but that was almost 30 years ago.
In the last few years I have used Stabil in it and been fine, so the stuff must work. I was just so surprised when I discovered solid matter at the bottom of the bottle.

Dave,
I am not familiar with "Seafoam". It is probably similar to the other products out there, and they all probably work.
I don't think "gunk" is officially a component of "modern" gasoline, but they certainly put stuff in there that turns into gunk! Thank your wonderful government.
The law of unintended consequences strikes again!
Roar
Old 01-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #10

SUN #778
Gasoline stabilizer

Sorry about the double posting, but I got an Error message the first time and no confirmation, so I clicked "Submit" again.
Roar
Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #11

SUN #385
Hematite
Re: Gasoline stabilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking
I don't think "gunk" is officially a component of "modern" gasoline, but they certainly put stuff in there that turns into gunk! Thank your wonderful government.
The law of unintended consequences strikes again!
Roar
Well, since your location shows Michigan, I presume that OUR Governments are both the same.
In fact, the Government IS responsible for the lower stability of gasoline but there is a reason for that. Oil refineries have wanted to use a different process to extract gasoline from crude that would give a higher yield of gas per gallon of crude. The Government was against it but finally allowed the process to be used in the late '90's. The problem with the new process is that the gas so produced was much less stable, ergo the gas now goes bad in a few months. This is why the Government was opposed the process but finally, to keep the cost of gasoline down, they did approve the process.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #12

SUN #778
Fuel Sabilizer

Rick,

I had not heard that part of the story.
I thought the mandated oxygenates and lowered vapor pressure were the main culprits.
Goes to show, you learn something every day!

Roar
Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #13

SUN #385
Hematite
Viking:

I'm sure the mandated additives don't help the situation and probably do contribute to the lack of stability, as well.

I just checked a bottle of StaBil that I've had for 5 years or so and it has not separated. I've been using it and there is about 40% of the bottle left. I did have a previous bottle separate out, however. I wonder if different batches last longer?

Old 01-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #14

SUN #778
Fuel stability

Rick,

I wish I knew how old the container was that the crystals grew in, but since I had forgotten about it and started on a new bottle, I don't.

Because I missed the "two year limit" note on the Stabil container, I figured I'd better read all the small print on the Star Tron bottles.
Nowhere does it say anything about shelf life for this product, before or after opening the container.
I'll quote from their instructions:
"Diesel fuel treated with Star Tron has a shelf life in excess of two years. Gasoline, which tends to evaporate volatile components more Quickly than diesel, remains stable for up to one year."

They have different and specific products for diesel and gasoline, and the diesel additive treats double the amount per volume added as for the gasoline additive.
That means for me that diesel fuel stored for use in our emergency generator can be recycled through our truck every two years, instead of every year. I like that! Most everything gasoline powered gets used annually anyway. Well, almost, - there have been winters when the snow blower was not used, and the shredder / chipper runs like crud and needs a little bit of choke to run at governed speed. I was hoping this "miracle witch's brew would cure that. We'll see!

Happy camping!
Roar

« Honda CRV | New TV »