Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #1

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ford Expedition turn signal problem

My Ford right turn signal flashes twice as fast as the left. I know this is to tell me there is a light out, or other voltage problem. I have checked light bulbs until I can do it in my sleep and all bulbs are good. I also checked the flasher, turn signal switch and fuses related to the turn signals.

After all my checking and the checking of a local shop we are stumped. I haven't checked the wiring at the hitch to see if a wire came loose, but I will. Having the camper or our powerchair carrier connected makes no difference.

Since there doesn't appear to be a physical problem my question is: Could this be a computer problem? I think I read that the faster signal flashing is computer controlled and actuated by a voltage change to the computer. "IF" this is so then how do I reset the computer to say everything is fine?

Has anyone had this problem of fast flashing right turn signal when all the light bulbs are good? !!!!HELP!!!!

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like you checked everything.

With the camper connected, do the camper directional lights follow the Expy? If so then the 7 pin is probably ok.

I did find an interesting thread. TURN SIGNAL ISSUES....NOT A BAD BULB??/// - Ford F150 Forum

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:10 AM   #3

SUN #1830
I did check the camper lights and they seem to work just fine. My final guess is that the computer that controls the flashing speed needs to be reset, or something similar, and that might be a dealership fix. Unless I can find a simple reset. I did try disconnecting the battery for an hour and reconnecting to try and reset the onboard computer.

Still looking for a sure fix........
Old 02-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #4

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
try disconnecting battery. Computer will reset to original mode. Did you change something previous to this happening? Do you have flashers in the mirror? Check all side marker lights. sometime they flash.
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #5

SUN #1830
Thanks Jim, I unhooked the battery for an hour. With battery unhooked I flipped switches, turned key off and on in case anything would hold a wrong signal. Connected battery and "whomp", there was that fast flashing signal. No mirror lights. I checked the left turn signal lights against the right hand signal. All bulbs I could find worked. Even thought to check inside lights even though they had nothing to do with turning and no bulbs out. Even checked the third brake light bulbs.

A neighbor works at a Ford dealership and said to bring it by and his guy in the body shop would check for computer codes to see if that shows something. I can't do that until the end of next week so must put up with it until then.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
They may well use a lighting module it has logic but no computer control. Any LED bulbs involved? The LED's present little resistance and the lighting controller is looking for resistance of the bulbs.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #7

SUN #1830
No LEDs involved, unless they are original equipment.

Where would the lighting controller be located? Is it a separate Ford part or part of a main computer? \

This problem has gone thru two local shops without success. I think both shops had code readers but neither could find a error code. They said they could find no reason for the fast flash. Maybe the Ford reader is different than the shops used. If Ford charges, I heard a hundred dollar charge is possible to fix a intermittent problem. At that rate I may do as one shop said and just learn to live with it.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #8

SUN #1830
Maybe I have finally found my Expedition turn signal problem on Edmunds: Ford Expedition Electrical Problems - Car Forums at Edmunds.com

It seems moisture entering the vehicle is the problem and is known to the government and Ford but nobody cares. Tuff luck it seems. Government says it is not a life threatening problem so they will not make Ford fix the problem. Ford denies a problem since they make tons of money from faulty design.

Oh Well! I'm just grateful I have no more problems that the turn signal, right now. Maybe I can trade before the entire wire harness needs replacing.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #9

SUN #2097
Just a guess that one had been replaced with an LED. I doubt a code reader will do them any good unless the lighting controller is on a can buss. So only one side is doing this and it is only the truck with out the trailer attached? Most shops with electrical work are time and materials so what every their hourly rate is that is what they will charge you. There is no real "main computer" or CPU but several controllers I guess one could call the engine management a main computer but there is no link to the likes of lighting controllers. Some vehicles have what is called a can buss allowing a really good reader to look at individual controllers via an OBD2 connection. I'm thinking there is a resistance issue some where has any thing been replaced? Bulbs, tail light assembles, trailer connector full of muck? Last question, are the turn signal lights separate from the brake lights like an amber signal lens?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #10

SUN #1830
Makes no difference with/without TT connected. I also use a utility trailer on the four pin connector and that makes no difference either.

This issue seems to be multifaceted. Moisture causing connection problems so there is the water entry that needs to be closed and then electrical joints need to be fixed. Probably more than I want to get involved with right now. I can drive with turn signal as is.

Edited to add: I did forget to add that I had problems with the radio staying on after turning the key off and removing key. The six-CD player would not work properly. This ran the battery down and I got a new battery for that little glitch. Radio has stopped running by itself, battery has stayed charged. Now with turn signal we are adding more electrical, wiring connection, glitches to this list.

Edited to add: Turn a lights are part of parking light bulb. Both elements work.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #11

SUN #768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
Maybe I have finally found my Expedition turn signal problem on Edmunds: Ford Expedition Electrical Problems - Car Forums at Edmunds.com ....
I didn't read ALL 14 pages but that is quite a read. Maybe it needs a soaking with WD40.

Bummer that Ford will not accept responsibility for the problem.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 02-27-2014, 03:55 AM   #12

SUN #1830
It seems this is a major design problem for them or at the least a assembly problem. Either way it is the consumer beware. Ford has lost this consumer for sure.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #13

SUN #2097
Edited to add: Turn a lights are part of parking light bulb. Both elements work.[/QUOTE]
OK that is a hint because it is also the brake light. Does the brake light work properly on the side that is flashing fast? Here is what happens when you turn on the signal the switch turns off the brake light on that side. You may well have the "Ford" wiring issue but it also may not be the problem so a few simple checks before you junk the van. Long distance diagnostics can be trying but hopefully we may hit on a simple fix.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #14

SUN #1830
I did check closely about lights working properly. The left turn signal works fine and it is only the right turn signal that flashes fast. I would work the left turn to see what was flashing. As I checked each element on one side I would go to the opposite side to check for the same element. Every element that worked on one side also worked on the other side. I even went inside the vehicle to check interior lights the same way, side to side. There are no lights on this vehicle that do not work. Even checked the emergency flashers and the righthand and lefthand lights work as they should and at the appropriate speed.

Edited to add: I did all the light bulb checking with running lights off, with running lights on and with parking lights on. Also with trailer connected and disconnected. Every bulb on the TV and TT worked as they should but for the fast right-hand flashing..... end edit.

One local shop removed the turnsignal lever from the column and ordered a new one from Ford. The new Ford switch was plugged in and lights worked the same.

both shops traced the wire harnesses while someone watched the flashing and no movement made any difference. that took the labor of two men.

I also told them about the radio playing even when I had turned the switch off and removed the key. Fords will let the radio play, for fifteen minutes I think, after turning the key off but not with the doors open. My radio kept trying to find a CD even though the radio was set for tuner only. The radio stayed on like this long enuff to run battery down. I did unhook the battery for a hour before reconnecting and the radio hasn't done that again, yet.

I tried the battery disconnect again when the flasher started acting up but had no luck doing a reset this time.

The turn signal flashing fast did start on a trip, pulling the TT, and we went thought some very heavy Florida rains. Had to pull over for a short time until the flood stopped. My first guess was the TT had a blown bulb but they all checkout fine. Even if there had been a flakey bulb I would have thought the battery disconnect would have reset that error. Also, now that the TT is disconnected and all lights on the TV work as they should the computer should have reset as when it should after replacing a bad bulb.

If you can come up with something we haven't tried I'll be glad to do it. Still haven't been to the Ford dealership but that is coming soon enuff. My reason for the delay is I can see them dazzling me with BS instead of fixing a known factory defect. I have already had one manager of the body shop act as if he doesn't know of this problem.

I really do not want to scrap this tow vehicle since it is good at what we bought it for.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #15

SUN #768
What year is the Expedition?

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 02-28-2014, 05:23 AM   #16

SUN #1830
Old 02-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #17

SUN #4040
The Ford Expedition does not have a standard turn signal flasher, nor do any modern Ford vehicles. Instead, the flasher function is performed by the multifunction switch, located in the steering column. If the need arises to replace the flasher, you will have to replace the entire multifunction switch. The switch controls the turn signals, hazard lights and headlights. This job can be performed in less than 30 minutes by anyone with a little mechanical aptitude and some basic tools. It's located under the steering column clam shell The hazard flasher button protrudes through this piece of trim.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #18

SUN #4040
The Ford Expedition does not have a standard turn signal flasher, nor do any modern Ford vehicles. Instead, the flasher function is performed by the multifunction switch, located in the steering column. If the need arises to replace the flasher, you will have to replace the entire multifunction switch. The switch controls the turn signals, hazard lights and headlights. This job can be performed in less than 30 minutes by anyone with a little mechanical aptitude and some basic tools. The hazard flasher button protrudes through this piece of trim.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #19

SUN #2097
If I read right I think they have replaced the switch and that did not fix it. I would see if the trailer harness for the 7 pin can be disconnected from the main harness and try that.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #20

SUN #4040
there should possibly be a wiring module under the trim back by the tail light. A Chevy van I just worked on the module was by the right tail light under interior trim. It had a bad ground that was affecting trailer lights. Like mainah said try disconnecting trailer harness completely.