Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #1

SUN #238
MikeM
First real trip towing 2363

Loaded up for maiden voyage last weekend to a campground about 45 miles away. Tow vehicle is a 2004 Toyota 4runner. (Supposely rated at #7000 tow capacity)

I have a Valley WDH with 800-1200 bars that were used on last trailer. It was a Trailmanor (trailer collapsed for travel). This trailer was about the same length but did not stick up in the wind.

Now of course we traveled on a day when the NEaster winds were blowing like crazy. Around 20 Mph+.

To make it better I had to cross a 3 mile bridge across a river that of course gave the wind a good shot at me.

The ride was interesting. To say the least I was not real comfortable. In the middle if the bridge I had 2 semis pass me on either side.

Now this was the first time really towing a trailer up in the wind. I did not really look back at the trailer alot ( had a hand full trying to keep it between the white lines) but I definitely had to keep making course corrections.

I am thinking at a minimum I should install a friction sway control. Valley recommends for a trailer 24' + you should have one on each side. I am thinking this is probably what I should do also since my 4runner is not a real long wheelbase vehicle.

Anyone have any experience with the above setup?

I really do not have the funds right now to buy one of those really expensive hitches.

Mike

Old 04-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #2

SUN #225
Mark
Too many times, people on forums jump all over this type situation and cause arguments. That said.....

You should have NEVER been allowed to leave without sway control of SOME sort. That it a severe failure on your dealer's part.

You have a very short wheelbase for that length of trailer. I will get back to you with some good links on this subject.

http://www.rvtowingtips.com/Text%20files/How%20long.txt

You need a dual-cam sway at a minimum, should be around $200 or so.

I know money does not grow on trees, but a failure of sway could cause you to lose BOTH your trailer and tow vehicle.....and you know how insurance replacement costs work .

You probably DO need something like the brand name "Equalizer" for the long term: http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

But I think its normally in the $600 range.

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:58 AM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Mike,

I would strongly recommend some type of anti-sway control.

I understand how money can be a factor, but you also have to think from the safety aspect. How much are you will to pay to make sure you and your family are safe?

There’s a lot of different anti-sway control options. I pulled our Sunlines (24’ & 27’) with the friction type units and never had a problem. Here’s a link to Camping World of the type I used.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...12701&src=SRQB
It's ~$100 from Camping World. IMO friction type anti-sway device is the minimum and there are other devices out there that provide better control as mentioned in the previous post.

About 4 years ago we upgraded to the Hensley hitch. Now we tow with no sway in any type of wind and no affect from semis. But the Hensley carries a big price tag with it also.

Keep in mind that the speed you drive has a major impact on sway also. On very windy days, decrease your speed. I typically drive around 60 mph on interstates.

Also to help reduce the affect of semis, crack a window in the front and back on opposite sides of each other.

Good luck
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Mike,

I would also recommend a sway control. I can't imagine being in that situation without one. You could upgrade to a dual cam setup, but since you already have a hitch, I don't think it's necessary at this time.

I also think dual sway controls is unnecessary. I asked a dealer about it and they said they don't recommend it. I'm not sure why. I think my single control does fine.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #5

SUN #238
MikeM
I found a place online that will sell a Husky (valley) friction bar for about $45 + shipping.

The C channel frame on this trailer seems less substancial than the full box frame on my last trailer. I am wondering about drilling all those holes in the frame for a regular friction unit.

I have been looking at the Equalizer Hitch and wonder how well the sway brackets will work with a c channel frame.

I have trunnion bars on my current hitch. I wonder if I could buy the Equalizer sway brackets and use them with my current setup.

I know this will only give me a two point sway control instead of the full four point with all the associated hitch parts. Though, I do believe this would be better than what I have now.

I am taking a longer trip in two weeks and need to decide something soon. I am stuck with the 4runner for a while so I have to live with the shorter wheel base.

I have seen approximately the same size vehicle towing longer trailers. I wonder if they are having the same issues as I do.

Hensley Arrow is really out of my price range. Equalizer hitch is more affordable but will it is alot of money if it does not really work.

Most of my camping is within 50 miles so I really do not get up to any real speed for very long. I am not sure I can justify the expense of a HA + I hear there are issues if the TT or TV are not on level surfaces.

Mike
Old 04-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Mike,

Wow, that sure sounds like a very scarey ride. According to the Valley hitch website, your only option with your current hitch is "friction" sway control, so that looks to be your least costly route. "IF" it were me and I didn't or couldn't upgrade to a Reese Dual Cam or Equalizer brand hitch, I'd just add 2 friction sway bars to the current set-up. One might be enough, but 2 would be better since your trailer is a tad over 24' and your towing with a short wheel base TV. Just my opinion, BUT I tend to really overdo on the safety issues.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #7

SUN #225
Mark
I switched to Reese Dual Cam from a single friction, because my 2553 is much longer than my old Trail-lite Bantam B-22S. I can't say its better, but with sway you never know.....unless it DOESN'T work.

I have heard the Reese dual cam only works with proper tongue weight. I have heard the Equalizer and Hensley are fantastic. Too much buck for me.....unless my setup gives me a problem.

I had my rig out for the first time this weekend. Nothing negative to report, and it was WINDY on the way home.

But until I am on a more open highway, with the usual idiots passing me at 70-80 MPH, I will await final judgement. I once had a white-knuckle experience in my 22-footer with a full fresh water load. Very scary. I still get nervous when towing when I think about it.

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #8

SUN #238
MikeM
Here is a confidence builder.

I looked up one of the local dealers that sell and install the Equalizer brand hitch. I requested to talk to the shop foreman as I had a few questions about the sway control brackets and c channel frame.

He had to look up in his catalog to see what I was talking about. He knew nothing about the brackets that attach to the trailer frame.

I asked him if they had a real experience installing that hitch and his comments were these hitches were his low line hitches and they only installed them on their rental units.

I have not really read anything bad about an Equalizer brand hitch. According to the company they are a large improvement over the standard hook and chain bracket hitches with a standard friction sway control.

Anyone using one on their Sunline?

I think I will call a different dealer.

mike
Old 04-24-2007, 06:43 PM   #9

SUN #67
264SRinPA
I have an Equalizer hitch and I think it works very well. You can get one from RV Wholesalers for $400 with free shipping. Only 4 bolts to mount the brackets to the trailer frame, and 2 bolts to mount the head to the shank. Can be installed in less than 1 hour. You might have to go to a rv shop to have the ball mounted as you need a special socket to fit inside the head. I've heard that if you ask RV Wholesalers, they can install a ball on it before they ship it to you.
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
PRS

SUN #109
PRS
First real trip towing 2363

Mike: I have a 2007 T2363 that I am towing with a 2006 Chevy Silverado extended cab Z71. The only trip with the TT, was from Pennsylvania where I bought the trailer, to Maine ( approximately 600 miles) and had no trouble towing. I have an Equalizer hitch that was put on by Fireside RV Sales in PA. I, so far, recommend the Equalizer for both anti-sway and weight distribution. Go to their web-site for more information. Good luck in finding the right set-up. Just for added info my truck is rated to tow 7700 lbs.
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Crew Cab 4X4
PRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #11

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
WD hitch

Mike,

You can get a free video from Equalizer. Pull up the Equalizer site and order it on line. Good demo.

Joe
SanDimasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:29 PM   #12

SUN #215
Poor Man Campin'
Hey Mike!

I have an Equalizer on my Sunline and it's a beautiful set up for me. While I had issues with my dealer (also Fireside) on the trailer, they did a fantastic job installing and setting up my hitch system; and Equalizer was the ONLY hitch system they would recommend and install. While my truck has a short wheel-base, it is considerably heavier than your 4-Runner.

I'd say your dealer say's they're low line because they won't make as much money on it; I'm thinking you won't be disappointed.
Poor Man Campin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #13

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an Equilizer on my T-276SR, and have pulled it with a Short Wheel Base (Reg Cab/Short Bed) Dodge 1500 and now with Dodge 2500 (Club Cab/Short Bed) and have had no issues with sway including a couple of trips across bridges in cross winds. No issues with Tractor trailers either.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #14

SUN #238
MikeM
Well folks

I have an Equalizer brand hitch sitting in a box in my garage.

With all the online research I did on this hitch and numerous postive experiences here, I decided I better get a new hitch sooner than later.

I called the company and passed on to them my recent experiences with dealers in my town. They suggested I call a RV parts supplier about 40 miles away.

Working with this supplier was very refreshing. He actually was concerned about my safety on the road and sold me a hitch for a few less $$$ than I could get the same hitch from RV Wholesalers.

He actually lives in the same town as I do and commutes every day. For his local customers he brings the parts back to his house and lets you pick them up there so you do not have to make the drive.

He recommended I install it myself so I would not get ripped off by the service dept. He sold the same hitch to another customer a few months ago who happened to be in the store when I called. He put him on the phone and we went over the install.

I want to thank everyone for their contributions. The discussions here helped me make the right decision for me and my family.

Mike
Old 09-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #15
GA

SUN #400
GA
Send a message via MSN to GA
towing

I have a 2006, new, QUE. I got a 2006 Toyota 4runner, 8cyl. tow package to pull it.

I have just finished my first real trip with it. From Sun City Center, FL ,near Tampa, FL, to northern IN and return, app 3900 miles. I haven;t figured out the gas mileage, but some days I filled it up 3times

My biggest problems were backing up, getting the refer to work on gas, getting the miserable jacks up and down, and the back step is stuck, will not come out. Seems to be sprung.I have a stereo radio w/antenna and flatscreen TV with CD player and "antenna" ( the crank fell out in my hand. I could not get reception in IND dunes park on either one. That is in sight of Chicago across the lake. Does the radio antenna have any way of moving it?

I am going to get the additional electric brake system put in.

any input on these items will be appreciated. GA peach
Old 09-10-2007, 06:28 AM   #16

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA
I have a 2006, new, QUE. I got a 2006 Toyota 4runner, 8cyl. tow package to pull it.

I have just finished my first real trip with it. From Sun City Center, FL ,near Tampa, FL, to northern IN and return, app 3900 miles. I haven;t figured out the gas mileage, but some days I filled it up 3times

My biggest problems were backing up,
Well practice makes perfect.....

getting the refer to work on gas,
What is the problem.....if you can be more specific, we might be able to help....this may sound stupid, but did you have the propane turned on?

getting the miserable jacks up and down,
Again, what is the issue with the jacks...DH uses a cordless drill to raise and lower our jacks, one of the best suggestions I found on the forum!

and the back step is stuck, will not come out. Seems to be sprung.
Can't help with this problem!

I have a stereo radio w/antenna and flatscreen TV with CD player and "antenna" ( the crank fell out in my hand. If I'm not mistaken, there is a small "set screw" that may be missing...so this should be an easy fix.

I could not get reception in IND dunes park on either one. That is in sight of Chicago across the lake. Does the radio antenna have any way of moving it?
I do believe that radio antenna is "fixed"...most places we camp - we are limited with TV reception, but our radio usually will get a few stations.

I am going to get the additional electric brake system put in.
Do a search here and you'll find a lot of good response to electric brake systems...a lot of people have the Prodigy and they love it!

any input on these items will be appreciated. GA peach

If you want to post back with more specifics on some of your problems, I'm sure more folks will chime in!

Happy camping!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:15 AM   #17
GA

SUN #400
GA
OF COURSE THE GAS WAS ON. i LIT THE STOVE SEVERAL TIMES TO MAKE SURE IT WAS COMING THRU. IT WOULD START AND THEN GO OUT AFTER AN UNDETERMINED TIME. THANKS FOR INFO. GA/PEACH
Old 09-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #18

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
GA,

Can you confirm your Que being a '06? To the best of my knowledge, the Que was only sold as an '07 model.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #19
GA

SUN #400
GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
GA,

Can you confirm your Que being a '06? To the best of my knowledge, the Que was only sold as an '07 model.

Jon
prdon me, it is an '07, rear door model