Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #1

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Diesel additives

I use a cetane boost fairly regularly in my truck, every 5 fills or so. The thread here on the board about gas mileage got me to some reading today and I found this thread on the diesel place forum.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=177728

I never really thought much about what the lower sulfur content fuel, ULSD, 15ppm, did versus the older 'LSD' or low sulfur diesel, 50ppm.

I know for a fact that my fuel mileage has suffered drastically over the last few years losing around 20% per tank on my mileage compared to using the LSD prior to '06.

From reading a bunch today I've discover that it's a possible result of a loss of lubricity that the ULSD causes in older vehicles like mine.

Anyone use Opti-Lube XPD or any additives in their diesel engines and noticed notable improvement in mileage?

Take care,
Lode

https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/Lodeline.jpg
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #2

SUN #646
clarkldc
Low Sulfur vs Ultro low sulfur Diesel - does it matter?

Jason,

I have noticed that the LSD provides more miles per gallon than does the ULSD. When driving to and from the Floria Keys in May I noticed / confirmed my suspicion that there was definitely a difference in mileage. I usually fill my tank at a truck stop while towing the sunline and some truck stops have ULSD and some have LSD. It never ceases to amaze me that when you take the sulfur content down from 50 PPM to less than 15 PPM in order to reduce the sulfur oxide emissions from the diesel engine that the result is that the fuel economy suffers. Lower emissions equals lower mileage. Just imagine that. I often wonder how much the total emissions are reduced since one ends up burning more fuel. One thing I do know is that the price for LSD or ULSD sure doesn't seem to drop much.

Larry

2007 Sunline Solaris T-2499
Tropical magic / cherry cabinetry
2006 Ford F250 Lariat FX4 4x4 6.0L PSD CC LB
clarkldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #3

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
I no longer have my diesel but I had a 6.5 money pit that I use to use lucas oil additive. it heiped with milage and it is also supose to help lube the injector pump and other mechincal parts is by lowering the sulfer in the diesel fuel also lowered the luberication factor of the diesel fuel , the lucas oil can also be run in gas engines also I use it in my v 10 now now much help with milage in that motor but helps to clean injectors Dan