Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #1

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
Crosswinds

What's the best way to deal with crosswinds while travelling? Our 1350 is only 6' wide and has a pretty new axle (PO) that was mounted under the springs (flipped) when installed. I realize that limits the crosswinds I can tow in anyway. I have pulled it in about 35 mph crosswinds without a problem, but it was obvious it was being pushed around a bit.

It's obvious to me that tire pressure is pretty important, but should I keep my speed up or slow down (considering resultant wind direction/vectoring)? Should I consider a sway bar?
Other advice?

Thanks,
-Dale

TT: 1988 Sunline T-1350
TV: 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
dtstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
I would think a sway bar when it is windy would help keep everything pointed in the same direction.

As for speed, my feeling is that if it really wants to go somewhere I am not pointing it, I would rather it go slowly and let me recover than have it pull me rapidly where I don't want to go. ... if that makes any sense.

I have only had something like that happen twice that I remember. Once was a gusty day when it started to rain. Roads are the slickest during the first 10 minutes of a rain storm and when the trailer just "didn't feel right" I slowed down to about 45-50mph. 15 minutes later everything felt good (stable) and I was back up to 60mph. At the slower speed I felt I had more control and a shorter stopping distance if needed.

The other time was just a blinding sudden downpour where you could only see about 100 feet or so. I was down to 35mph on the Interstate but didn't feel bad about going so slow since the line of 18 wheelers ahead (and thankfully, behind!) were all going that speed and we all had our flashers going. One 18 wheeler got stuck in the 2nd lane and I slowed a bit to let him pull into the line. He thanked me.

So ... back to the question. I am in the "go slower" camp and use the sway bar or whatever is needed for the circumstances for a safe, lower stress, trip.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

SUN #4364
Makes sense. Thanks, Gene.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #4

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Without hesitation I second that. Slow down when windy and use a sway bar for every trip. Trucks on the highway on a calm day can push you around. You don't want the tail waging the dog.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #5

SUN #4364
I've been looking at [non-WD] sway control. They say that friction units like this one
Pro Series Friction Sway Control Kit - Economy - by Draw-Tite, Reese and Hidden Hitch Pro Series Weight Distribution 83660
aren't to be used with trailers with surge brakes. (Curt Manufacturing says you can.) While our Sunny doesn't have brakes, it originally had surge brakes and it still has the surge brake coupler.

Why do they say you can't use it with surge brakes? Is it because of how the surge brakes normally function, or because the tongue geometry is different? What am I dealing with here?

Thanks,
-Dale

Old 06-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #6

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
I used one far awhile but didn't like it I switched to a reese duel cam that has sway control. Another thing one might want to look at is tongue weight. Front of TT to light while back is to heavy also can cause sway
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #7

SUN #149
nasa42a
Dale.....

The reason that one is advised to avoid the friction-type sway controls when the rig has surge brakes (and, by inference, a surge coupler) is because:

==> When one applies the tow vehicle brakes, the surge coupler allows forward movement within the coupler to trigger the trailer brakes.
==> And when that happens, the friction sway control resists the movement at the coupler, as the sway control works by resisting movement between the towed vehicle and trailer.

I would think the overall effect on any individual unit depends upon the balance of the trailer, the amount of friction being used on the sway control, the amount of surge distance permitted by the coupler, and the severity of braking done by the tow vehicle.

Frank
nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #8

SUN #4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa42a View Post
Dale.....

The reason that one is advised to avoid the friction-type sway controls when the rig has surge brakes (and, by inference, a surge coupler) is because:

==> When one applies the tow vehicle brakes, the surge coupler allows forward movement within the coupler to trigger the trailer brakes.
==> And when that happens, the friction sway control resists the movement at the coupler, as the sway control works by resisting movement between the towed vehicle and trailer.

I would think the overall effect on any individual unit depends upon the balance of the trailer, the amount of friction being used on the sway control, the amount of surge distance permitted by the coupler, and the severity of braking done by the tow vehicle.

Frank
See, even though you can't participate in the joy of camping you can still add allot of knowledge and experience to SOC.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #9

SUN #4364
Definitely an education here. Thanks, guys.
It won't stop us from camping, Jim. <G>

To be clear, I'm not having any problems with sway. I am looking ahead to more distant trips and trying to stay ahead of potential issues before they become issues. So far, we've been staying close to home until we get more experience with everything - the Sunny itself (our very first travel trailer and towing experience) and camping with it. We are planning to venture out on longer trips in the not-too-distant future. I've pulled it 3 times with an S-10 and only twice with our "new" Yukon (25-30 miles each time, looking ahead to 2-4 hours or more), so I'm still learning how differently things can work and gaining experience with different situations. Wind is one of those. Actually, I've been more concerned with the possibility of a crosswind blowing her over going down the road rather than sway issues. <G>

Yes, I am pretty mindful of how I distribute the load in our 1350 just for those [handling] reasons.

Thanks for the explanation, Frank. Makes perfect sense. I can see how it could actually work against me with the surge coupler if everything isn't set just right.

I'm closing in on 60 y.o., and want to spend my time enjoying camping with our Sunny and not spend my time dealing with avoidable problems on the road. Since I joined this group (last year when we bought our Sunny), all of you here have been an invaluable asset in keeping me out of trouble and allowing me to give Shelley pleasant camping experiences - and that's worth a fortune in itself!

Taking baby steps and learning as I go......

Thanks again, everybody!
-Dale

Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #10

SUN #4040
I was talking to Frank and Sharon about knowledge and experience and not being able to camp any more. Sorry for the mixup.

I'm pushing the 70 door and still towing. I remember the days of axle hitches. (Look that one up)
Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #11

SUN #4364
No problem, Jim. Thanks.

Axle hitches? You've been at it a while, haven't you? Glad there's so much experience here!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #12

SUN #4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtstanton View Post
No problem, Jim. Thanks.

Axle hitches? You've been at it a while, haven't you? Glad there's so much experience here!
Axle hitch. You crawled under the car and clamp this wishbone type apparatus onto your axle. The head stuck out from under rear bumper. There you would hitch your trailer and hook up your torsion bars. No sway control. No snap up brackets, there were stationary hook on the tongue of trailer you hook your chains to by using tongue jack.
There was a time torsion heads were non adjustable. when you changed TV , you had to take TV to RV dealer where they would cut the head apart and then reweld back together for the correct (you hoped) hight and tilt.
To hitch a TT you had to lower your hitch onto ball, tighten coupler, crank tongue jack (non electric) till your head was high enough to hook your bar chains to your bracket hook then crank jack till jack back up till weight was off jack. Then you were ready to go after you recovered from cranking tongue up and down so much.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #13

SUN #4364
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
Axle hitch. You crawled under the car and clamp this wishbone type apparatus onto your axle. The head stuck out from under rear bumper. There you would hitch your trailer and hook up your torsion bars. No sway control. No snap up brackets, there were stationary hook on the tongue of trailer you hook your chains to by using tongue jack.
There was a time torsion heads were non adjustable. when you changed TV , you had to take TV to RV dealer where they would cut the head apart and then reweld back together for the correct (you hoped) hight and tilt.
To hitch a TT you had to lower your hitch onto ball, tighten coupler, crank tongue jack (non electric) till your head was high enough to hook your bar chains to your bracket hook then crank jack till jack back up till weight was off jack. Then you were ready to go after you recovered from cranking tongue up and down so much.
Oh, wow! I'll take the simplicity of today, thanks.