Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
BB- More truck Info

BB,

You NEED to provide: year, make, model of your truck, type of cab, axle ratio, etc.

You "need" to provide all the weight ratings requested by John B

IF you provide this info, you might save yourself and members a lot of time.

WIth knowing your trucks true capabilities, it will make it possible to determine whether your truck is "SAFELY" capable of towing a 1950.

The best bet is load truck as it would be for a camping trip, go to a scale, get the figures that John B requested.

So far, any and all responses have been speculative concerning whether your truck is "capable".

Also, ALL the research/info you have been gathering about Sunline could very well have been in vain, should your truck prove to not be capable of towing a 1950.

Should your truck not be capable of a 1950, you might really need to look for a Sunline Que, and there are many of those around.

I'm NOT trying to be rude or discouraging, but you've spent lots of time researching a 1950, and it could all be in vain "IF your truck can't tow it.

Get the weights from a scale, post them here, and folks will be able to advise you.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #2

SUN #328
bugbite
Miz Kitty,

Look at my sig. most of it is there.

Total wt for truck is 5,420 "wet" (wt. at the CAT Scale)

I'll get the rest, it's in our Tundra owner's manual.

DH has determined if we get a Reese Dual Cam we should be fine. It's the trailer that will save us w/ the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (truck and 1950 combined) absolute max > 11,800

Really has done some figuring to the last degree. We were surprised the truck was so obese! We thought we had enough slack. Never know until you hop on a scale for sure.

Hensley Arrow going to be too heavy.

Tongue wt. should be within tolerances. Our rear end of the truck is stout w/ springs and the right axle ratio.

Engine strong. We have the advantage of having a cherry vehicle w/ 29K miles exceedingly well maintained. Lexus motor babied and not run hot. Tires rated as good. We will be changing out our P rated for a LT when the Michellin's show wear. Our engine runs cool. We have the towing package. Advantage the Lexus. That is our saving grace, that and not getting a TT too big.

If we have a TT we can move what we hauled under the snugtop into the camper. We travel light. For instance we et most of our groceries etc when we arrive and carry home nothing but drinks and shrimp. Those can go in the frig if plug is wired to it on the middle pin. Clothes can be stowed away instead of in the back of truck. Bicyles can be racked or wrapped up inside TT.

We are getting there. This has been a very long process. I apologize if I fretted too much and bothered the group. We try our best to think of all angles. My long array of questions were for a purpose.

Regards,

More later...

BB

Now where are you 1950? Will you now drop from the sky? We will find a place to put you honest!

Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey BB,

That info is indeed helpful. It' great that you have had the Tundra weighed.[

I do believe that with a Reese Dual Cam WD hitch you'l be fine, you might not set any speed records, but "hey" we're relaxing towing these things, not racing

As for the refridgerator, it will only operate on propane or 110 (household current. It will not operate on 12volt (battery power), I know many pop-ups have the 3 way fridge, but larger ones do not. But, don't frett, once your fridge is cold, it will remain cold for many hours while traveling as long as it's not opened often. You can always operate it on propane while you are towing (But, that is another real "hot" topic )

You'll have to see how your "P" rated tires perform, often "P" rated tires have "sidewalls" that are too soft causing poor towing caraturistics, as they are designed to givce you a more comfortable ride. You'd then just upgrade to LT a little sooner.

Did you ever hear anything obout that 2000 I sent you info on?

My best friend purchased a 1994 T-1950 about 4 weeks ago. Thing was mint condition, he stole it for $4,000. Plus being a '94 he also got an aluminum roof.

Sounds like you've got hubby checking everything out, which is good

Now, all you have to do is be able, the minute you see or hear of a 1950 for sale is jump in the truck and get to that seller to purchase it !!!!

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #4

SUN #328
bugbite
After the obese truck shock

We were expecting the truck to come in at no more than 5,300 came in at 5,540 w/ us and a full tank of gas.

What is adding wt. (besides 2 people who need to go on diets, henceforth the Solaris Diet) is the snug top (verrry nice fiberglass top) bed rug, HEAVY fullsized rubber bed mat, and Westin Chrome Tubes.

So that cut our slack on what the truck should weigh to be a TV for a TT in the weight range of a 1950.

Welll it seems we have been close to the GVWR all along and it didn't break a sweat. We had bicycles, clothing bags, tools, bottle jack, OF COURSE BIG TABLE SIZED JACK DANIELS, and a very heavy icechest coming back from FL w/ 15 lbs of shrimp, big dog crate, dog supplies, and various other paraphenalia. The Coleman was about 1/2 the weight of the proposed 1950 so naturally the tongue wt. about same 1/2. We only had a weight carrying hitch no stabilizing or sway. Never swung and never got us into trouble.

DH said next they are going to ask you what you weigh... LIKE I would answer that.
Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote