Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #1

SUN #1508
quaddriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to quaddriver
A perfect example of why to never use car tires for a trailer

A month or so ago when I got my 2461 I noticed it had 4 car tires in 185-75-14 and was recently inspected.

while not illegal in PA, its frowned upon and I figured - these are good, non rotted tires to get me thru the half dozen, short mileage trips we will take before I put it away. Come spring I was gonna replace the TT, tow dolly and beavertail all at once and get a volulme discount cuz they all take the same size.

Well coming down the hill to the campground, I feel a vibration...sure enuf a tire is gone. fortunately Im 1 mile from the campground so I limp in.

The sidewall completely went, both sides in multiple places.

The next day I took the 30 mile drive to a tire shop that I farm my shop tire work out to and got 4 new trailer radials in 205-75-14, LRC.

I knew the car tires were close to the limit, 1290 lbs each (-10% for car tires on a trailer) but I had a brain fart - the camper manual calls for F78 and somehow I equated this to 185 when in fact it is 205. (1760lbs each)

When I pulled off the wheels to swap the new tire/wheel combos I noticed the surviving tire on that side was starting to seriously crack the sidewall and tread joint in only that one mile.

The problem with leaf spring items is that unless used a LOT and have long springs (like a pickup) the short leafs on a TT or boat trailer rust together and no longer slide when 'springing', making any damping up to the dual axle pivot hanger or the tire sidewall flex (which is why my heavier boat rides on rubber torsion axles and I periodically take apart my spring packs and blast em)