Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #1

SUN #419
BobR
Winterizing Question T-264SR

Decided to do first-time winterizing today and ran into a problem.
Procedure I did: Bypassed, pulled plug on WH and drained, drained fresh water tank, used air pump (floor pump, no compressed air available) to blow out city water line (actually worked pretty well). Poured 5-gal AF into fresh water tank, and ran pump and pink to all faucets, etc. All per book.

But, fresh water tank did not completely drain as connection is inch or so above bottom of tank. Hind-sight, should have raised far side of TT so tank would have drained more completely. Will do that next time. Also, reckon I need to add a siphon line at pump and use less AF!

Question: how much dilution is ok since there may have been a couple gallons of water left in the tank before dumping in the 5-gal of AF and pumping thru all lines. Am I ok for Kansas' zero-degree temps?

Old 10-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Winterizing Question T-264SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
Question: how much dilution is ok since there may have been a couple gallons of water left in the tank before dumping in the 5-gal of AF and pumping thru all lines. Am I ok for Kansas' zero-degree temps?
Bob,

There is no clear answer here because there is no way to know exactly how much water was left in the tank when you added the antifreeze.

I think the "thingy" (the proper name escapes me) that is used to test specific gravity of radiator antifreeze may also work in this circumstance. You might be able to get some answer there.

But, there is also the possibility that the antifreeze did not evenly mix with the water, and there will be liquid of greater or lesser protection capability in different parts of the water system.

I have an old piece of shower hose with the connector left on one end which has the same thread as the input on the water pump. So, after I have drained the fresh water tank and blown out the rest of the water system, I disconnect the feed line from the tank to the pump, and replace it with my poor man's siphon line.

I just did this yesterday, and it only took 1.5 gallons to do the whole trailer.

One other hint, I use a shop-vac to blow out all the S-traps right after I blow out the water lines. That way, I don't have to worry about running enough antifreeze into the traps to replace the water in them. Cuts way back on the amount of antifreeze needed.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote