Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-25-2007, 07:17 AM   #1

SUN #79
Ms.Towne
Where to purchase aftermarket repair parts?

I am getting ready to refurbish a 1976 12ft Sunline and would like to know where to purchase aftermarket parts. In particular, I am looking to purchase "sunline" decals, and replacement windows. Also, could anyone help me in to choose what type of paint to use for the interior, including primer. I am not going to keep the original woodwork, since it isn't the prettiest shade of darkish oaky type paneling...plus the woodwork is very dry and flaky where the laminate was applied. Once I am done with the inside, I plan on painting the outside too....red, white and blue on the 3 lower strips (very patriotic!!), where they are currently orangey, yellowy and butterscotch colored??? Does anyone have any recommendations for how to paint the exterior of a trailer and what type of paint to use. I want the job to look as professional as possible with me doing it myself. So, I am sure I will need to buy a sprayer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My email is mimipeapa@msn.com ....just type "Sunline Help" in the subject bar......Thanks a bunch!!!! Carol

Old 05-25-2007, 07:33 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Carol,

I have one of the original front/rear Sunline logo's from '76-'77. I have scanned that, plus I have a picture of the side logos. If you'd like, I could send them to you. Does your trailer have the original logos?

I'd love to see some pics of the original trailer, before you paint!

As for replacement windows, I think finding them would be almost impossible. Why do you need to replace them? If you just have cracked glass, most glass places can make a piece to fit.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:57 AM   #3

SUN #79
Ms.Towne
Hi,

Thanks for the reply! Does someone make a decal from a scanned photo??? How does that work? I would love for you to send them to me!!! The trailer does have the original decals, and are faded.

As for the windows, the mechanisms don't work well on most of them, and when you try to close them, you have to go outside and push on the windows for them to fully close.

I do have pictures if you want to send me your email....mine is mimipeapa@msn.com

Thanks! Carol
Old 05-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Towne
Thanks for the reply! Does someone make a decal from a scanned photo??? How does that work? I would love for you to send them to me!!! The trailer does have the original decals, and are faded.

As for the windows, the mechanisms don't work well on most of them, and when you try to close them, you have to go outside and push on the windows for them to fully close.
Carol,

If you have a decent artwork (such as Sunline Fan's scans) you should be able to take them to any decent sign shop and they can either make new vinyl decals for you, or even paint them right on the trailer. Sign shops that specialize in truck and auto signs would be your best bet. There are some franchise quick sign places that do that kind of thing, too.

And on that topic, if anyone has scanned the Sunline emblems from the '99 model year (red and green colors), I will soon need to have the emblems on the sides of my trailer re-done, along with the striping. It has begun to crack and fade badly this year. The Solaris emblem is peeling like crazy.

The windows may be commonly available from any RV dealer that has a decent parts department. They have never been manufacturer specific. By that, I mean that Sunline and all the other TT builders just purchased industry standard windows and doors and compartment doors and so on.

All you will need will be dimensions, and a photo may be helpful as well.

The one variable is that all the older trailers and RV's used square corners on the windows and doors. If you look around, you'll notice that most of them now have rounded corners. That may mean that inventory on specific sized windows is getting scarce.

The other possibility is that there may be readily available rebuild parts for your window's open/close mechanisms. Again, check with your local RV dealer's parts and service department.

Finally, you may want to do some google or yahoo searches. There are a number of places that specialize in RV salvage, and they may be able to help you as well.

Keep us posted on your progress!

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Carol,

I sent you an E-mail with the pictures. As for windows, do any of the windows have a sticker with the word "Hehr" on them. That company has been building windows for RV's for a very, very long time, so the parts are readily available. I think the window cranks haven't changed much over the years, so I'm sure you can get those parts somewhere. I think the chances of finding a whole window, however, are slim to none. Like Steve said, your only hope would be a junkyard. You may want to try contacting Hehr directly for possible part numbers for the parts you need.

Have you checked the window crank knobs? I have this problem happen all the time. The plastic handle inside cracks where it mounts to the crank, so the teeth don't hold on the gear. These are only a couple bucks at a RV dealer and do wonders. It is near impossible to repair the old ones. I found your story unlikely because the window hardware (minus the crank handle) is all made out of aluminum, so the parts usually don't go bad. I have had the handles strip out and the window won't open or close, and if it does, it won't close very tight.

To remove the handle, remove the (most likely phillips head) screw in the center of the knob. Once the screw is off, pull gently on the knob unless it already fell off in your hand.

Steve, the only thing I have scanned for '99 is the front/rear logo and the striping (not the swirl). Hutch has pictures of that swirl from Sunline, if you want to have some made. I do have the small Solaris logo, but I haven't scanned it yet.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote