Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-21-2010, 05:36 AM   #1

SUN #1008
mbike29
What to shine up exterior of older trailer?

just purchased 1988 sunline satellite t-2251. the exterior is in good shape but rather dull what can I do/use to bring back some luster?

Old 02-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Good Morning and welcome to the group and congrats on your Sunline purchase. One thing I CAN tell you is DO NOT get TOO aggressive with attempting to "wax" a shine back onto your Sunline. The paint is quite thin. I'm trying to remember what I was using, but right now it's escaping me. You might try some "Aero 303", it is a fantastic protectant for just about everything one our Sunline. I'm sure the "cleaning/polishing" Gurus' will be along shortly providing you with some better advice.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #3

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
We gave ours a traditional wash. Then we apply Nu Finish on our rig, it comes in an orange bottle. Rather easy to apply and wipe off. It also takes off any black streaks. I also use it to touch up spots when we get a new black streak or whatever.

I agree the paint is thin.

Back to roof leaks. In general I've found our Aluminum roof pretty sound. The only leak areas in our roof have been around the various vents. I did not bother to seal the rest of the roof but have painted the entire roof white. I have also found leaks around some windows and the door frame. These can be seen by looking for internal stains or spending some time in there during a rain storm. Another not so obvious place where we found a soft spot was under the hot water tank.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #4

SUN #597
henryj
For wax, use any good quality automotive wax that has previously given you satisfactory use. I second Norm's endorsement of NuFinish if you're looking for a new product. I have used it on car, truck and trailer for years. It is a premium product at far less than premium prices. The one disadvantage is a slight tendency to show swirl marks although they do disappear after a couple of washes. But everybody has their own flavor; I tried one of the speciality RV waxes, hated it, and gave it to my brother who loves it.

A good coat of wax and using wax to remove black streaks is key to keeping a trailer nice and clean. Black streak remover, Awesome, dish and laundry detergent, (but not auto wash detergent) will all strip the wax off of any vehicle. I will occasionally use black streak remover in a spring clean up, but wax is just as good for all, but the dirtiest streaks and much more environmentally friendly.

I also wax all my vehicles in spring and again in early fall--I am retired you know . The heat of summer is not a good time to wax anything.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #5

SUN #1008
mbike29
thanks for all the info everyone! I really do appreciate it.
previous owner pointed out to me that there was a small leak comeing from the shower, upon further inspection and after removeing the tub/shower i found out the floor below the shower was totally gone! so I spent the last 4-5 hrs removing the bath and its floor, reframeing insulating and started laying plywood to fix, and will finish maybe tomorrow. then I will pick up some frp to redo the shower stall walls. Pretty good amount of stuff done today considering I was watching my 2 boys, there 3 friends and a dog. I am pooped and am going to shower and hit the couch and maybe even grab a cold one!