Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #1

SUN #5245
Anita1 is an unknown quantity at this point
What to put in a camper toolkit

Hi,

I was wondering what to put in my emergency camper toolkit. Not only tools but supplies, screws... I assume butyl tape? What size? etc.

I found a baseball bat with a large hook on the handle end of it, does anyone know what that would be for?

Anita

Old 06-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #2

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Anita,

Here's a thread when we asked a similar question:

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ols-14520.html

Quote:
I found a baseball bat with a large hook on the handle end of it, does anyone know what that would be for?
Wow, that's a little scary. Maybe someone was using it for the awning, even tho' it seems like overkill. Can't wait to read some of the answers for this one.

Saw the pixs of your 1700 on the "Door window leaks" thread, looks good!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #3

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
there was a great article in Trailer Life magazine about 2 - 3 months ago - I'll see if I can find it.
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita1 View Post

Anita
Combo awning puller and husband attention getter
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
Combo awning puller and husband attention getter
Shhhh ..... don't tell my wife about that.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Up here we would use some thing like that to kill black flies.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #7

SUN #93
I hope I did this correctly!

Well I'm getting a message that my attachment is too large - I'll see if I can make it smaller I'll try again later!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 06-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #8

SUN #93
OK so I've typed the article from the magazine but I'm getting errors when I try to attach a PDF file - the size is too large - anyone know how to make the article smaller - I broke it down to small pages but it is still too large.
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 06-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #9

SUN #93
Basic Tool Kit
The basic tool kit is comprised of those tools that should be found in every RV/ These are the common hand tools that will simply come in handy in many instances.
· Socket set (3/8” drive); It is also advisable to have an assortment of extensions of different lengths and a universal joint.
· Combination wrench set (1/4” through 1”0: The type that has a box-end wrench on one end and an open-end wrench on the other.
· Crescent wrenches (6”-12”)
· Pliers assortment: Needle nose, 8” groove joint (water pump), and standard slip joint pliers.
· Locking pliers: One small and one large.
· Tire gauge: Be sure the pounds per square inch (psi) range is applicable for your tires. Buy a quality tire gauge.
· 12 volt test light: it is just may quickly become your best friend on the road.
· Flashlight (& extra batteries)
· Hacksaw
· Ball Peen hammer
· Screwdrivers: Flat blade, Philips, clutch-head (figure eight shaped) Robertson (square head) and Torx (star-shaped). Different sizes of varying lengths, including flat-bade and Phillips stubby drivers, thin pocket screwdriver and one magnetic multiple screwdriver. You can never have too many screwdrivers.
· Nut drivers: Most hex-head screws used on RV’s require a ¼” socket. Some however may be 15/16”
· Wire brush
· Eye goggles
· Work gloves
· Pry Bar/nail puller
· Battery terminal post cleaner
· Caulking gun
· Inspection mirror
· Blowout plug: Essential for winterization of RV
· Owner’s Manual. Try to assemble data sheets, parts listings and service information for all of the propane appliances and other major components found in your RV.
Advanced Tool Kit
The addition of these tools to the basic kit will enable you to perform some troubleshooting and minor repairs on most major systems on the RV.
v Non Contact Proximity Tester. This devise could save your life! Use it to verify the polarity of any 120-volt AC receptacle before plugging your shoreline cord in. Use it to also check for hot skin conditions, shorts and open circuits. Realistically, it should be included in the Basic Kit.
v Diagonal wire cutters
v Spark plug gap tool
v Portable battery charger (6 amps minimum). To be used as a small battery charger and as a 12 volt power source when troubleshooting or “bench testing”.
v Battery Tools:
ü Terminal puller
ü Terminal spreader
ü Terminal pliers
ü Terminal post cleaning tool
ü Battery strap
v Volt-ohm meter (VOM). Preferably digital. It need not be the most expensive model, yet it should be somewhat rugged in design and accurate within +/- 5% of full scale.
v Cordless, reversible drill: Invaluable if you need to remove more than just a couple of screws, drill a bunch of holes or install accessories. A 3/8” chuck size is recommended in order to accommodate a twist drill up to that size. A fast charging; heavy duty drill is worth the extra money.
v Battery hydrometer (temperature compensated): An absolute muse when servicing the batteries.
v Crescent wrenches (4” – 8”0: Co0mplementary to the 6” and the 12” in the basic set. When working with propane fittings, always use a backup wrench to tighten and loosen fittings. The small 4” size will come in handy when working on appliances.
v Crimping Tool: For solder less terminals. Invest in a good quality pair. The cheaper inexpensive combination stripper/crimper/cutter is never fully reliable. A good crimper will deeply penetrate the terminal, resulting in a lasting connection that will not pull loose.
v Flare Nut Wrenches: Nice to have when working on propane connections. It makes contact with the softer, brass glare nuts on all six sides instead of just two. Avoids the “rounding off” of the flare nut that can happen when using a crescent or open-end wrench.

RV Specialty Tools
The addition of these tools, coupled with some basic knowledge, will enable you to attack almost any maintenance procedure encountered. However, the specialty kit does not include large pieces of diagnostic equipment normally found in service shops.
v Manometer (preferably water column type): Why the water column type? It’s 100% accurate every single time. This device will allow you to set the propane pressure regulator and test the entire coach for leaks.
v Thermometers: Sometimes you just got to know how cold and how hot….your refrigerator or oven is.
v Brake adjusting tool. For Travel Trailer and fifth-wheel electric brakes.
v Inductive-type DC ammeter: This devices slips over a single wire to measure the current draw without having to cut the wire of otherwise tap into the circuit. A must for testing trailer brake magnets the easy way.
v Circuit breaker test leads. For checking DC electrical shorts. Easily made by attaching alligator test leads to each post of a standard 12-volt, 20 amp circuit breaker. Use it for troubleshooting a DC circuit that keeps blowing its fuse.
v Alligator test leads (attached to a 470-ohm resistor): For testing LED circuits of monitor panels and tank probes.
v Refrigerator flue brush: A soft-bristle brush the same diameter as the flue. For cleaning out the flue once or twice a year.
v Thermocouple tester: Available thru your local heating, ventilating an air conditioning (HVAC) supply house. This devise can bench test any thermocouple while it is out of the appliance. (not needed if the appliance is electronically ignited).
v Frequency meter: Used to measure the output frequency of the generator or the frequency of the incoming shore power. A generator with “out of calibration” frequency can damage sensitive equipment. This test device monitors not only the frequency but also the voltage and current use.

WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leo did say that a lot of this stuff he does not carry but it was a good article and a good start for anyone interested.
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 06-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #10

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Seeing that list... A good list I might add.. The Specialty tool section is pretty advanced. I must say I do leave my manometer at home.... And then there is this one that sparked my eye

OK, how many have or anyone have one of these in your on board RV kit? Or even at home? And please share how you get in down the back of the fridge without taking the roof vent off, including the screen shroud? I have not yet sorted that one out on how to get to it.

Refrigerator flue brush: A soft-bristle brush the same diameter as the flue. For cleaning out the flue once or twice a year.

The service manuals talk about cleaning that flew pipe and the actual distance the spiral inside are suppose to be at, however it is very buried up inside the unit. Maybe WASA1500 might know. I think Trailer Life went a bit far on this one for the average RV'er.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #11

SUN #5245
Wow, thanks for all of the replies. You guys are the best!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #12

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita1 View Post
Elementary my dear Anita.
It is quite obvious that the previous owner pulled the trailer with a pick up truck. This truck was a long bed and had a bed cap. The bat was used to fish articles from the front of the bed w/o climbing on the tail gate.

Teach
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #13

SUN #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Elementary my dear Anita.
It is quite obvious that the previous owner pulled the trailer with a pick up truck. This truck was a long bed and had a bed cap. The bat was used to fish articles from the front of the bed w/o climbing on the tail gate.

Teach

Teach - - the awning pull bar does the job in the bed! The baseball bat is for keeping DH in line!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #14

SUN #93
[QUOTE=JohnB;114949]Seeing that list... A good list I might add.. The Specialty tool section is pretty advanced. I must say I do leave my manometer at home.... And then there is this one that sparked my eye

OK, how many have or anyone have one of these in your on board RV kit? Or even at home? And please share how you get in down the back of the fridge without taking the roof vent off, including the screen shroud? I have not yet sorted that one out on how to get to it.

Refrigerator flue brush: A soft-bristle brush the same diameter as the flue. For cleaning out the flue once or twice a year.

The service manuals talk about cleaning that flew pipe and the actual distance the spiral inside are suppose to be at, however it is very buried up inside the unit. Maybe WASA1500 might know. I think Trailer Life went a bit far on this one for the average RV'er.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what Leo said!
But then again - you should see the tool box he has in the toy hauler!!!! A sears stand up with two sections!!!!!!!!!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 06-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #15

SUN #5245
LOL@Teach,

The previous owner DID have a pick up truck. THAT truck DID have a bed cap on it! Well done Sherlock!

What else can you tell us about the previous owner based on the fact that it was a Johnny Bench signature wooden bat?
Old 06-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #16

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
One thing I didn't see mentioned was a torque wrench for lug nuts and tire pressure guage
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #17

SUN #5245
My campers only 17 feet long lol

I was originally thinking maybe a screwdriver, hammer, a couple misc. screws, a roll of tape...hahahahahahahahah
Old 06-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #18

SUN #5245
Kathy,

You typed all that? Wow...thank you soooooo much!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #19

SUN #93
You are welcome Anita1....& all other members reading this post.

I tried to post it from the article but the site would not allow it - the files where too big! So I did the next best thing!

Just pick and choose what you think you woud need. As Leo said we don't camp far from a Walmart...so if we forgot it we buy it!

We loved our 2007 T-2499