Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-05-2007, 06:46 AM   #1

SUN #187
precorguy
What grease to use?

ok, i have learned - thanks to hutch, that i have EZ Lube axles - which i am very happy about.

I now have to get a grease gun (not big deal - nice to have) and need to pick up some axle grease.

i have reviewed the information on the dexter axle site and it lists approved sources of grease --- so now i have another quesiton --- what have people used and is one on the list better than the other?

also - if someone doesn't mind checking this out --- i was thinking of getting this grease gun - do you think it will be ok or should i get a larger one?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1188996201675

your help is greatly appreciated?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
I would suggest the Zinc Grease Gun from Canadian Tire.

It's a little more expensive, but it's straight, which may be easier to use.
It's the type I have and I find it easy to use. But that's just my opinion.

I use Multi Purpose Lithium Grease. But I'm not an expert like JohnB. I would trust & follow JohnB's recommendation. Hopefully he'll post a reply to your question.

Hope this helps.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #3

SUN #287
nickster60
I use Mobil 1 in my commercial mowers and trailers. I havent had any failures in many years. I dont know if that means it is good or i am just lucky. Well that is my 2 cents worth
nickster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #4

SUN #67
264SRinPA
I also use Mobil 1
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I can’t seem to get the Canidian Tire site to work to see your grease gun. It keeps asking me for a postal code. I put in a zip code and it does not like me.

For a standard normal home quality grease gun

They look like this. (Note these are actually industrial ones but the consumer ones look the same on the outside)

http://www.lincolnlube.com/products/greaseguns.asp

The one you are after is more like this one

http://www.irtools.com/IS/product.asp-en-4803

Those 2 I knew where to go find some good pics but they will be way more then you want to spend on them for the few times you use them.

Basically go down to your local auto parts store or farm store and ask if they have a manual grease gun that will accept grease tube cartridges. They most likely have the real cheap ones and if you ask for a moderate quality one it is only a few dollars more is well worth it.

The real cheap one will drive you nuts. Grease will blow by the piston inside and get on the backside to end up ozzing out the spring rod end. All have some leakage, but the cheap ones can be real bad. And the grease fitting on the ends of the cheap ones do not lock well to the zerk type fittings or are not adjustable. The better grease guns have the tip where you can loosen up and tighten the 3 jaws inside to snap over the zerk fitting and stay locked while pumping.

Now to the grease. Despite how much I trust Hutch’s opinion, I’m not the expert. Don’t put me that high up there, the fall top the ground hurts that much more….. But Hutch good buddy thanks, for the comments.

For wheel bearings when take a more several duty, I stick with Dexters recommendations.

See page see page 5 of this PDF if you have not already. http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/...-07_72_res.pdf It lists the grease spec itself and some brand that meet it.

Personally I use the Citgo or the Valvoline listed there. I have no bad experiences against any of the other major name brands. I would be cautious of generic brands. If they do not have the higher melting point or corrosion inhibiters in them, it could lead to early bearing issues.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:32 AM   #6

SUN #187
precorguy
thanks JohnB

appreciate the help --- the grease gun was a cheaper one but think that based on your recommendation and the recommendation of hutch - i will get the second one that your recommend.

if you want to look at the canadian tire site for this or anothing else - just pick any postal code -- such as n6a 5p3 - that should help.

i agree on the grease and am going to follow dexter recommendations - i will just take it to the store with me so that i have the complete list.

this is my first wheel bearing greasing that i have done - i have hand greased small bearings - like for electric motors --- so this is going to be an experience --- hopefully a good one!

i will let u all know how i manage this new task!

thanks again for your hlep!
Old 09-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #7

SUN #187
precorguy
ok, picked up a grease gun, a few tubes of grease, jacked the trailer up and greased away - i had no idea how easy that was --- drove around and when i came back, i had one wheel that was very warm --- regreased it --- and after my second drive --- everything was cool and fine.

so i guess i will be doing it again next year after our spring trip to florida --- as it is so easy and one of the best parts --- the grease was on sale for $3.00 per tube - nice eh!

anyway thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #8

SUN #219
What6308
Send a message via AIM to What6308 Send a message via Yahoo to What6308
Quote:
Originally Posted by precorguy
ok, picked up a grease gun, a few tubes of grease, jacked the trailer up and greased away - i had no idea how easy that was --- drove around and when i came back, i had one wheel that was very warm --- regreased it --- and after my second drive --- everything was cool and fine.
I have always had better luck with a grease job if you grease it take it around the block or so and then redo it.

In my house its Lucas grease. It seems to keep the liquid out better. We do a lot of fourwheeling with our Jeeps and the dust/mud/water/etc is a big deal to keep out. So I have learned over the years to grease drive a little then regrease. there is a fine line that I have also learned over the years to just right and too much.

But for the most part most major brands of grease will work for the average person just as good as the one next to it on the shelf, I just don't want to have to mess with more than one grease gun and more than one type of grease floating around.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:55 AM   #9

SUN #187
precorguy
thanks for all the information ---- yes i learned that driving around a bit then regreasing is a good thing --- i have a trip planned for this coming weekend - only about an hour away from home --- so when i get there is am going to check the temp of the bearings again and will have my noew new trusty grease gun ready!

however i am expecting that it will be fine based on my weekend work ----- i am enjoying learnings these new mechanical things!

man do i wish i paid more attention to dad when i was little --- the old man was smarter than he looks!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #10

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by precorguy
H'mm

You may have found your warmer hub problem or not.

Check and if everything stays cool on all 4 hubs, then OK all is fine.

However, if there was grease in there to start with, you added more, drove around the block, (maybe a few miles) one hub was warmer then there rest does not seem to fit the normal pattern.

If all continues to come up A OK and the same temps on all 4 hubs, then all is good.

However the trick in hub temps is to figure out what is bearing heat and what is brake heat. It is very difficult some times to sort out.

1 brake being adjusted tighter then the other 3 will brake first as it will grab first and work harder then the rest. It will then create more heat then the other 3 and heat up the hub and drum.

The best way I have found to sort out brake heat from bearing heat is on a highway trip. Towing down the highway at 50 mph or so for about 20 miles and then on purpose gently pulling into a rest stop and not doing a lot of TT braking, get out and check hubs for heat. If all 4 are even and do not burn up your hand…. then good, the bearings are doing well.

Driving in stop and go traffic or even around the block several times doing stops and starts works the brakes and creates heat. What you feel after this, may be more brake heat then bearing heat.

If you find you have a hot drum or need more on this, let us know. Glad to help

And congrats on the grease job. Good work and good for you.

Happy camping

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #11

SUN #187
precorguy
john b -- thanks for the help - i know it was bearing heat as i had turned off the brake controller and used only the brakes on the trailer during my trip about between greasing.

but i appreciate you help -- all is fine now with no issues.

thanks