Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #1

SUN #3151
beecrazy is an unknown quantity at this point
Water pump runs constantly

Hello All,

We are finally going to take our Suline out for the first time ever!

The campground we are going to doesn't have water at the sites so I filled the fresh water tank (campground is only 10 miles away).

I turned the water pump on and it runs- I am thinking this is great, but it keeps running- doh!

Do I need to do any purging of air or do I have a bad switch on the pump? I have never camped with a travel trailer, so this is new to me!

Thank you,

Don

Old 06-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, a bad pressure switch is one possibility. A leak in the water system somewhere is another. One possible (and commonly missed) leak, is you should have two low point drains, some people do dry winterizing and leave these open. Also, if the hot water tank was drained it will take a while for the punp to fill the tank before it builds enough pressure to shut off.

Also, make sure your hot water heater is full of water before turning it on especially on electric, because a dry tank will burn out the element in very short order. TO make sure your tank is full turn on the hot water at the sink and run until there is no air escaping.

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #3

SUN #3151
beecrazy is an unknown quantity at this point
I ran the hot water faucet for a minute and it purged the air out and the pump stopped! Just a rookie here!

Thank you Mack, worked like a charm!

Don
Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #4

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I ran the hot water faucet for a minute and it purged the air out and the pump stopped! Just a rookie here!
If it truly ran only a minute, there's one more thing you need to check. There might be a bypass kit installed on the hot water heater. Look at the water pipes on the heater, if there is a pipe going between the hot and cold lines on the heater you have a bypass. On a 2005, it's probably going to have a valve on the cold side, the handle should be inline with the cold pipe to supply the heater, if it is inline with the bypass pipe it's bypassed and no water is in the tank.

Don't worry about rookie mistakes, we've all made them, and we don't flame on this forum.

Just don't ask me how I know the low point valves are a common leak spot!!! Let's just say that in the varied Maryland weather in the fall, I use air to blow out the water system and leave all the valves open, when we're still camping, but could have cold nights. Then when we put it up after our last trip for the year, I pump in the pink stuff. It's amazing the puddle of pink stuffs get that big, that quick, when you forget to close those valves!!!

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote