Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #1

SUN #4275
dguernsey is an unknown quantity at this point
water pump help

hey guys i just bought my first camper its a 1995 sunline t-2053 just got it home
and everything works fine except the three switches on the range hood they are
for fan, light, and water pump any ideas or things to check?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #2

SUN #2582
sanstini is an unknown quantity at this point
If you can get to the wires on the switch, I'd check that first to see if it's getting power, if it is, then check the fuse at the supply box and there may be a fuse at the pump. Also check for loose or disconected wires at switch and pump.

Scott

sanstini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #3

SUN #4275
well i guess the water pump, fan and range lights only run on 12v battery and it was dead. does that make sense? and is the battery supposed to charge when the camper is hooked to electricity or not?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #4

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguernsey View Post
well i guess the water pump, fan and range lights only run on 12v battery and it was dead. does that make sense? and is the battery supposed to charge when the camper is hooked to electricity or not?
Yes and Yes............
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #5

SUN #256
Bobo
I hope it is just the battery. Your interior lights also run on 12 volt. If they work but the three switches do not, then you have lack of power to just those items .Possible fuse or broken wire. If the battery was dead but the interior lights and stereo still worked, then the power inverter is working.

We took our 2499 camping this past weekend for the last time and does'nt the inverter die. Went to Walmart and bought a marine battery charger to get through the weekend.

BTW, a new battery is about $100.00. Found a new inverter online for $165.00.

I'm going to wait and see what the dealer can do for me.

Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #6

SUN #4275
so how can i get the converter to charge?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #7

SUN #256
Bobo
The battery should charge automatically when you are plugged into 110. Make sure that the battery disconnect switch(if you have one) is turned onto the open position. Battery terminals should be clean and tight. Check the water levels and make sure they are filled.

If you still will not charge, take the battery to an auto parts store to have it checked. Most stores will do this for free.

If you end up buying a battery, make sure that it is a marine or Rv battery. Totally different from a normal car battery.

Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #8

SUN #4275
ok so i checked the fuses up by the battery they are good connection is tight i took the cover off the converter and it is humming but the fan is not running in there should it run all the time and if yes will i need a new converter. everything is working fine just not the switches on the range hood for light, fan and water pump oh and the battery is still not charging
Old 08-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #9

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Perhaps there is a loose power wire in the range hood?
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #10

SUN #4275
the range hood works fine if the battery is charged but camper isn't putting charge to the battery
Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #11

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
So you are saying the pump and 12 volt stuff is ok with a charged battery but the converter is not charging and the battery is going dead?

The converter humming indicates it is getting 110 volts AC, the converter fans don't always run if everything is cool .... at least on mine.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:10 AM   #12

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had found a internet page about testing when the battery is charging but can't find it now, sorry. I found it by searching for operating instructions for the brand and model of converter I have, yours may be different. Google is your friend. As I remember the main details were to disconnect from the AC power so the battery was for sure not being charged but in need of charging.

Then use a test meter to check and record battery voltage. The battery should read low so it is needing a charge since the converter will only turn on when it senses a low battery. I'm not sure of the low voltage number the charger turns on.

With the test meter still connected plug the TT into the AC so the charger should be trying to charge. Read the meter and there should be a increased voltage reading at the battery indicating there is output from the converter/charger. If the reading at the battery does not show increased DC voltage to the battery, the charger is not putting voltage into the battery.

The battery not charging could mean the charger is bad BUT it could also mean the circuit to and from the battery is not complete. For instance, on my TT I found the ground from the converter and the battery was not good. I found this ground by tracing the ground wire from the battery to the frame and the Neg output from the converter to the frame. These two wires connected to the TT frame underneath the TT but close to the battery. That connection had corrosion. I cleaned and reconnected that ground and everything was better. That worked for me but your problem may differ.

Hope that gives food for thought.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #13

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

To check if the converter is actually charging the battery, use a volt meter on the battery. A battery that is fully charged is 12.7 volts DC and is "not" on a charger and has sat for over 8 hours.

If the converter is doing anything, the voltage at the battery will be 13.25 volts for a trickle charge and 13.6 for normal charge.

Basically putting it, if the voltage at the battery is not above 12.7 volts with the 120 VAC plugged in, there is no charge going to your battery. The battery may well be below 12.7 as it is partly discharged.

If it appears there is no charge at that battery, go back right to the output terminals on the converter. If you have 13 plus volts there, then some how the power its not getting to the 12 VDC bus bar in the fuse panel.

Some of the old converters need a battery installed in order to work right. It seems you have the battery in, just the converter is not putting out anything. Some converters have a small fuse on the circuit board to protect them. Check and see.

It may also be the converter is toast. Some seem to live forever, others die a short life. The old ones, generally before the 2004 model year are not the greatest. Even some of the 2004's are not great as far as a being a good battery charger.

If you get to the point of wanting an upgraded converter, check out Progressive Dynamics. You get the new 3 stage charging plus a desulfation mode. Several here on SOC have upgraded to this when theirs died.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #14

SUN #4275
if the converter is the reason the battery is not charging could i just keep a battery tender hooked up and plugged in inside the camper since everything else works fine?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #15

SUN #89
A battery tender is traditionally a low amperage battery maintenance device. I do not know which one you have, however it may only put out 1 to 2 amps of power which is not much. They are made to “maintain” a charged battery verses recharging a drained battery. If you have the standard 921 12 volt light bulbs, they draw 1.4 amps per bulb. http://www.bulbs.com/results.aspx?Ntt=921

Turning on 2 to 3 lights could overpower the battery tender and you are still drawing from the battery. The water pump in the camper will for sure overpower it. This is really not a good application for a battery tender as a charging device or power supply. It is just not big enough.

Here is one place that sells replacement converters and you can see the cost you would be up against. If you need some one to install it, that is more.

http://www.bestconverter.com/4000-Series-Compact-Power-Center_c_138.html

NOTE: Before buying the converter I linked, it needs to be checked that it will fit in your camper. I do not know which onld one you have now. I linked it as a possible that could be made to work.

Hope this helps

John

Old 08-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #16

SUN #4275
could someone tell me why the pump dont run off the converter? or should it?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #17

SUN #89
Quote:
Unless someone re-wired it, the water pump should run off the 12 volt system.

However, reading your question that may not be what you are asking.

Are you asking, Why doesn't the water pump run off the converter when there is no battery hooked up?

If that is the question, some of the older power converters needed the battery in the circuit to act as a capacitor to help stabilize the loads. If yours is one of these, then the high amperage demand of the water pump would fall into this category. A light bulb may work off of just the converter with no battery but a water pump may not due to the high power requirement.

The new converters are more closely related to a power supply than a battery charger and you can run everything with no battery.

If I missed your question totally.... please re-ask using more description.

Hope this helps

John

Old 09-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #18

SUN #4275
i guess the part i dont under stand is the water pump runs fine with battery but not at all with converter. now shouldn't the battery feed the fuse box just the same as the converter does? sorry for all the questions but things like that bother me and ive never owned a TT before
Old 09-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #19

SUN #89
Hi dguernsey,

First off, do not worry about all the questions... it's OK, just ask. Trying to trouble shoot a problem often takes many questions from both you and us.

I looked over your post to refresh my memory on how this all came about to look for common things that could lead to a problem. I highlighted some things in blue and red to find common things that all point to a common problem. Let’s review what we have here.

Quote:
hey guys i just bought my first camper its a 1995 sunline t-2053 just got it home
and everything works fine except the three switches on the range hood they are
for fan, light, and water pump
any ideas or things to check?

Quote:

Quote:
so how can i get the converter to charge?

Quote:
ok so i checked the fuses up by the battery they are good connection is tight i took the cover off the converter and it is humming but the fan is not running in there should it run all the time and if yes will i need a new converter. everything is working fine just not the switches on the range hood for light, fan and water pump oh and the battery is still not charging

Quote:
the range hood works fine if the battery is charged but camper isn't putting charge to the battery

Quote:
if the converter is the reason the battery is not charging could i just keep a battery tender hooked up and plugged in inside the camper since everything else works fine?

Quote:

Quote:
i guess the part i dont under stand is the water pump runs fine with battery but not at all with converter. now shouldn't the battery feed the fuse box just the same as the converter does? sorry for all the questions but things like that bother me and ive never owned a TT before

OK you tell me where I go wrong in what you are seeing in your camper and confirm what I have said is correct or not.

Please confirm this:

“Not” plugged into 120VAC shore power, and with a fully charged battery, Tell us do these things in the camper work.

The inside and outside lights, all of them?
The furnace?
The hot water heater on gas?
The fridge on gas?
The water pump?
The range hood fan?
The LP detector?
The roof top TV attenna booster?

If the answer is “yes” to all of them, then the all the fuses from the battery and the individual fuses are working to the actual 12 VDC devices all works and is intact.

If some are “not” working which ones are not?

Now let’s add the power converter. The power converter here would help if we knew what convertor you have. Any chance of some pics? And a model and name?

The newer campers, I do not know what year these started in, have the power converter outputting charge voltage tied directly into the 12 VDC fuse panel for the camper. It basically parallels on top of the 12 VDC fuse buss bar. So it adds power to the same wiring the battery does. If it senses the resistance through the battery to be high enough to need a charge, it is supposed to start applying power to charge it. At the same time if the converter is large enough in amps and depending on how drained the battery is, it can also help add some power to run things inside the camper.

Basically all 12 volt DC devices that work off a fully charged battery should also still work when the convertor is plugged in and the battery is still connected. This includes the water pump.

If the converter is plugged in and the battery keeps going dead, then there is something wrong with the converter.

Are you able to do a voltage check with a volt meter? If the battery is connected and the converter is plugged into 120 VAC you should be get 13.2 volts or higher at the battery terminals. If it is 12.7 or lower than your convertor is not working at all.

You seem to keep coming back to the water pump, the water pump should work off the battery and it should work if the converter is on and the battery is still hooked up. Some of the old converters needed the battery installed to be able to provide high power output. If there is no battery then it may not provide enough power to run the pump or furnace but maybe a light bulb. If this is not that case, please explain.

From the pieces I can put together it seems to point to your convertor is not working. Either an internal fuse on the converter itself is blown, 120 VAC is not going in, the 12 VDC wiring out of it is not connected or loose, OR the converter is broke.

Again this assumes you have one of the newer converters that is not a split output where ½ of it charges the battery and the other ½ provides 12 VDC to run the camper and you have to switch on those features. Please take a picture with the converter cover off and we may be able to see what you have.,

Hope this helps and try and answer back what you can.

John

Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #20

SUN #4275
this is what i have a magnetek 6332
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment (1).jpg (10.6 KB, 19 views)