Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Water pump check valve?

While we were at Buttonwood, our fresh tank filled up and overflowed. It happened while we were hooked up to the city water at the CG. It took two days, for the tank to fill up, so the leak isn't too fast.

I can just replace the pump with my spare, but I'd rather repair it instead. Can I just install a check valve after the pump? Opinions please!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Gary

I'm making an assumption you have the standard Shruflo pump like what was in the 299?

Odds are good there is a piece of dirt lodged in the internal Shurflo check valve. Taking it apart and cleaning "might" work. And might not if a scratch in the seat exists.

They do sell an entire diaphragm/check valve rebuild kit. See here for the right part numbers and then hunt on line for best price etc
Pump Repair Kits - SHURflo

Look here too under spec/parts for the model you have
SHURfloŽ Pumps - SHURflo

Odds are good you have no inlet strainer. Sunline did not put one on either the T2499 or the T310SR. I solved that problem when I upgraded the pump to have an inlet strainer. Shurflo sells one that will screw right on the inlet to the pump even and it is recommended in their pump install instructions. Or at least the older instructions. If you going in for a rebuild I high recommend installing the inlet strainer. It can save you the grief you are in right now.

They use you have a slightly different strainer then the one I can't find it right now. Maybe the stopped making it and it is now this one. This one you can take apart and clean at leasst. The older one you could not which this one is better then

Water System Accessories - SHURflo

You talked about putting a check valve in line to stop this. Well yes and no on that thought. Will it stop city water pressure forcing it backwards through the pump into the tank? = yes.

If you use the onboard tank and use the pump will it stop water from bleeding back thru the pump and loosing pump prime? Good question. If the leak gets big enough you will be dry locking the pump, loosing prime and pulling your hair out trying to reprime it. Ask me how I know this..... The internal check creates the right pump suction, prime and keep prime feature. And if you are bleeding back then the pump will cycle over time with no use in the camper when the leak get's big enough as it is bleed off pressure back to the tank.

Dirt of any size or shape is the enemy of these pumps.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Thanks John..

I may end up installing the pump from the 299, until I can get either the rebuild pump, or a new one altogether.

I have seen these inlet screens, but I don't remember where. It may have been camping world..

Gary

Old 06-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
John,

HERE is a link to the ones Camping world has...

Old 06-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
John,

HERE is a link to the ones Camping world has...
This is the newer kind and better then the older ones Shurflo use to have. This new type you can take the bowl off and clean the screen. The older ones when sort of like and inline one use filter. It strained stuff but there was not a easy way to clean it

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote