Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #1

SUN #531
mearly65
Waste dump valve lubrication

Does anyone know of a lube I can put on the rubber seals of my black and gray water waste dump valves? My gray water dump valve is extremely hard to slide open. I was thinking of maybe Vaseline or something similar? Thanks

Old 04-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Waste dump valve lubrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by mearly65
Does anyone know of a lube I can put on the rubber seals of my black and gray water waste dump valves? My gray water dump valve is extremely hard to slide open. I was thinking of maybe Vaseline or something similar? Thanks
I'd stay away from Vaseline - it's a petroleum based product and I believe that it can eventually cause the rubber seals to break down.

Silicone lube is good. Spray it up both pipes with the valves open and then closed. Work the valves back and forth while spraying. Obviously, the system needs to be clean, drained, and dry to do this.

Also, lube the pull rod when the valves are open and work them several times to pull the lube in to the shaft housings.

I have also been told that coconut oil is good, too. You can get the oil on the inside of the valve by completely draining your tanks and the pouring in a small amount of coconut oil (several ounces) and a quart of water on the black side (larger pipes) and a pint or less on the gray side. Do this just before a trip, and the sloshing of the small amount of water/oil mix will completely lube the inside of the valves.

You can get the outside of the valves by hooking up your drain hose and hold it high so the liquid won't flow out. Then open the valves, allowing the mixture to flow into the common area of the drain just beyond the valves. Close the valves and slosh the mixture around by raising and lowering the drain hose. Should get a good coating of oil on the valves and seals.

Reminds me that I gotta do that right after I dump the tanks this weekend.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I second the Silicone spray. It will work with the type of elastomers in the O Rings.

Pending the Oring material any petro based lube can casue it to swell up like a ballon.

If you have valve way up the pipe, I have enclosed tanks on the T310, then spray some in a long thin plastic tube, shove it up the pipe then put compressed air nozzle on it and it will blow it right to the valve. Works good.

On my T2499 I could just use the little red 4" tube on the nozzle tip of the can and it sprayed right up in there no problem. Dump valves are right out in the open on that model

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote