Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-26-2016, 09:46 AM   #1

SUN #7218
Rocketgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Voyager AM/FM/CD Player issue

I knew there was an issue with this radio when I bought the RV, so I just back-burnered it. We unplugged the power, because we could not get it to turn off once it was on.

So, today, I tried to do a little trouble shooting. Radio turns on, but not off. LED display lights up, but does not display anything. Cannot switch from AM/FM to CD or Aux, speaker switch and volume both seem to work.

I looked at the manual, that appeared pretty straight forward and, it did not tell me anything I did not already try.

Is the unit blown? I saw a couple other posts that said it was kind of junky.

Any recommendations on a new unit?

I might try a custom setup, not sure yet.

Previous full timer 10/2015 - 8/2016
Previous full timer 1992-1996
Rocketgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
They are not much, a modern radio does a lot more and has better sound quality most now even have blue tooth great for you cell phone in the camper.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #3

SUN #6579
Relie is an unknown quantity at this point
Radio

I replaced the original radio in my Sunline a couple of years ago. Don't have access to the trailer right now, so can't tell you the brand I replaced it with. I do know I purchased it new on e- bay and paid less than $200 for it. Very easy install, every wire marked and only had to enlarge the cabinet opening a little. Well worth the effort, as it much sounds much better than the old one. Check it out. Good luck and Happy Camping!

Dave
Old 02-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #4

SUN #2097
There are a number of brand name radios Kenwood JVC etc. now for less than $200. Most will be DIN mounts (rectangular mounts) so some assembly will be required.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #5

SUN #7218
Rocketgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
I did find the issue... The plug was not all the way pushed together so only part of the radio was functioning. It is working now, with my iPod as an Aux. The 4 speakers are not bad either. I tried setting the alarm clock, but have not tried it yet.

The thing I still don't like is that it draws power all the time. If I ever loose power, I would not want it draining my battery when I might need that power for something more essential.
Previous full timer 10/2015 - 8/2016
Previous full timer 1992-1996
Rocketgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl View Post
The thing I still don't like is that it draws power all the time. If I ever loose power, I would not want it draining my battery when I might need that power for something more essential.
Hi,

We boondock often and the radio sucking power all the time has to go. In my case I pull the fuse out of the back of the radio. This however means I have to take the 4 mounting screws out to get to the back of it. I have not yet made it to installing a power on/off toggle switch that I can totally turn the power on/off short of pulling the radio out, but may yet this year.

If you are concerned about it draining power all the time, the power switch in the incoming power line could correct this for you too.

Hope this helps

John

PS. if you are concerned about power drain from the camper battery when off the grid, do not forget the TV antenna power booster to be "off". And if by chance your fridge has a condensation heat strip, for sure shut that off. If yours has it, there is a little black rocker switch between the freezer door and the fridge door to turn it on/off. Open both doors and you should see it if you have one. One of my 2004's had it, the other did not.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:11 AM   #7

SUN #2097
All radios with a clock and memory draw power 24/7 so do inverters and CO2 detectors and any thing with lights! The problem with the radios and no power they forget every thing! It's a tiny amount of power but over time they will kill a charged battery. It won't happen in a few days but long term it will. JohnB 's ideal with the fridge strip heater is a good one they draw a fair amount of power. I like my older camper very few do dads.