Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #1

SUN #11951
SiaraTaomi is an unknown quantity at this point
Tubing clogs and leaks

Hey everyone

I’ve been doing maintenance on my t1700 and found a leak in the tube connected to the water tank. It only leaks while filling it but I’m still conferenced about possible water damage. It’s in a fairly difficult spot to access. Does anyone have any advice on how to repair? Also, I’ve attached some photos of a smaller tube connected to the water tank that I noticed after removing the base from the outside. This smaller tube is extremely clogged. Any idea what it’s for and how to declog it? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 029F441A-3772-446B-981A-26D3E1E8B98F.jpg (76.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg C9E99717-B7FA-4E56-BD12-FCCEA61EEE2A.jpg (62.5 KB, 4 views)

Old 06-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #2

SUN #8853
ggrvguy is an unknown quantity at this point
The small tube is the vent for the fresh water tank, lets air in when your drawing from the tank and lets air out when your filling through the larger hose. The larger spiral type hose should be readily available but replacing it is sometimes difficult. I would just try some compressed air thru the small hose. Of course whatever is clogging it will end up in the fresh water tank. If you need to access the top of the tank to disconnect the large hose, you may want to replace the small hose as it terminates next to the large fill hose. I usually put some silicone sealant around the nipples the large hose goes onto. It's difficult to clamp tight enough on the spiral fill hose to stop leaks.
Gary G

Old 06-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #3

SUN #11951
Thanks so much for the reply! It was very helpful.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:34 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I agree with Gary, the little vent hose if it is clogged that bad, replace it. Getting the crud out is going to be complex and that crud will keep contaminating the water supply in the fresh tank.

A heads up on the larger fill hose, they do sell them at RV parts places and even on Amazon. You need to look for a "potable water" hose on the big hose and smaller hose needs to be safety rated from drinking water. It can be hard finding potable water vinyl tubing. It is made, but the normal average hardware store lumber yard does not have the potable water rated type.

The other heads up is to expand on what Gray said about the big hose sealing hard. The fresh tank (white plastic) is made from polyethene to get the potable water rating. That plastic does not like to have much of anything stick to it. I too use silicone on the hose, but try and not over do it or the hose will pop off the tank or the fill spout when you tighten the clamp fitting. Ideally you can find a smooth/smoother bore hose as some brands of the ribbed ones are worse then others to seal.

The silicone you want to use should be food grade as it is touching the water when it is cured. Do not use any ole type of silicone. If you search for "aquarium silicone" most of those brands (check to make sure) are food grade silicone as what is toxic to fish is also toxic to humans. Also, most of these are only food grade after they cure. When it is wet, there are cautions, but once cured for the proper length of time they can meet the food grade specs. I know, confusing.

I agree, you do not want a leak in the fill hose as water seeping in the camper is bad news. You will also need new butyl sealing tape to seal the fill spout flange back to the siding of the camper when you put it all back together.

PS, while there are limited places on a camper you should/can use silicone, like on the water hose, it should "not" be used to seal the siding or roof for water leaks. Silicone is not good or lasting in those applications. There are other better long term caulks made for that.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #5

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
I had to replace the water fill hose on my previously owned 1996 T-1700. Like you said, not easy to access. I had to cut out the shelf just below the stovetop to get to it. Mine didn’t have an oven, but if it did I’d guess the oven would need to be removed as you wouldn’t have that shelf that sits right over the fresh water tank.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #6

SUN #11951
Thank you so much for all the information.