Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #1

SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
toilet piping question, pic request

hi there,
i've been dealing with a reclogging toilet and came to the conclusion that the piping that meets the black tank may be the problem. it seems like at the very end of this piping it narrows and this is causing the toilet to re-clog.

i'm wondering if anyone has had this experience or if anyone has any pics they could show me of the piping that is standard in sunlines (1983). it seems like a terrible design if indeed the pipe narrows, so i'm hoping it's something else. I have a thetford toilet, brand new aqua 5 and the piping is not straight down but in a curve. the problem is the piping below the toilet and i didn't have any luck finding pics online.

thank you for any help

Old 02-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine just goes straight down into the black tank and the opening looks to be about the same size as the flapper in the bowl.

I did find some info and a drawing on the Thetford site for the Aqua Magic V Foot Flush but that looks like the outlet is straight down like mine. Aqua Magic V Foot Flush Parts

Wish I could give you better info than that.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #3

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Noralee,

If you go to my albums you will see pictures of a valve replacement I did on my original Aqua Magic IV. You will see the floor flange in that album. This flange sits directly on the tank and in turn the toilet sits directly on this flange. There is no piping. It is a direct transition from toilet to tank with a slide valve in the toilet as Gene said.

You "had" a similar layout of your bathroom as mine with the exception that your bathroom is in the corner and mine is midships. There may be some difference of toilet to tank penetration and direction of shower plumbing due to the locations being different.

You changed out your Aqua Magic IV for a V. It almost sounds like it was plumber to the shower drain. That drain would be smaller dia. pipe and also would have an elbow and/or "P" trap in the line.

The previous owner removed the shower pan and capped the line in my '83 T-1550. He did give me the pan and the drain pipe, which had at one time an elbow connected to the pan.

If possible a picture of your bathroom area would be of help.

Also is your underside of TT open showing the tanks and plumbing? My TT underside is enclosed with aluminum underbelly, thus I can't see anything.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
If you'r not I would try using single ply T.P. Usually the cheapest stuff works the best in campers.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Bunjin,

That is a super job of photo documenting the toilet repair. That will come in handy to help someone some day.

Noralee, Bunjin does bring up a good point about the toilet and the tank being on top of each other, I'm trying to think how can there be an elbow between the toilet and the tank? There can be elbows on a MH or a 5th wheel however a small TT with almost not large distance between the bottom of the toilet and the tank something does not seem to fit right.

Quote:
I have a thetford toilet, brand new aqua 5 and the piping is not straight down but in a curve. the problem is the piping below the toilet and i didn't have any luck finding pics online.
And the pic narrowing does not fit either. Something is not adding up or someone did a modification and made an error.

Pic's can really help show us what you are up against.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:08 AM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Usually the toilet flange is screwed or glued into the black tank it's self should be a direct connection.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #7

SUN #5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
Usually the toilet flange is screwed or glued into the black tank it's self should be a direct connection.
Exactly how mine is. My picture may not show that aspect clearly though.
P3 break control
Old 02-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #8

SUN #4422
here is a pic of my corner bathroom area. the toilet does sit directly on top of the black tank and is NOT plumbed into the shower drain. All piping is inside the camper. only the black and grey tanks are oudtoors/underneath camper. i think the toilet curved pipe does go directly into the black tank at the end of the curve but it is not flowing properly. i have used appropraite TP and plenty of water for flushing. i'm not sure if i'm naming things properly, 'piping,' 'valves,' 'flanges,' etc. so i hope my situation is coming across clearly. by piping i'm referring to pipe from top of toilet to the black tank...

i don't see evidence that there was a modification/repair in this area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bthrm.jpg (61.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #9

SUN #4422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjin View Post
Noralee,

This flange sits directly on the tank and in turn the toilet sits directly on this flange. There is no piping. It is a direct transition from toilet to tank with a slide valve in the toilet as Gene said.
yes, i'm referring to the flange then, going from the toilet to the black tank. but it is not straight down, there is a curve in the flange before the black tank.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #10

SUN #5039
Your setup is the same as mine with the exception of the wall behind your toilet is an outside wall whereas mine is an interior wall with furnace and refrigerator there.

I'm wondering if because of this orientation of your bathroom the transition to the toilet tank and the location of the tank itself required something a bit different.

If you click on the link Gene gave and then the manual link you will see that the toilets waste discharge is straight down on the foot flush and hand flush models.

These toilets are really just nice looking outhouse type toilets with a valve to control odors. Just the weight of the waste causes drop action, usually straight down. The water is just a rinse.

House toilets have the weight of water causing the flush action and these do have built-in water traps to control odors. These are curves within the toilet base.
P3 break control
Old 02-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #11

SUN #768
The picture helps a bit. It looks like the "low profile" toilet is on a raised platform/box. That would allow a double S bend pipe between the bottom of the toilet mounting flange and the top of the black tank under the trailer. --I am guessing here-- I remember seeing some of the MiniWini campers years ago that had the raised box but I think the black tank was inside the box so the toilet was a direct drop to the tank.

I recall seeing a double bend pipe somewhere and it did seem narrow in the middle. It is also possible that the double bend is exposed to the cold freezing temperatures in the space between the bottom of the toilet and the top of the tank ... maybe..

As I said, just guessing here.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 02-14-2014, 03:31 AM   #12

SUN #4422
well i'm still not sure what's going on but it's already clogged again. i think i may not have an answer until it is taken apart...in the spring.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #13

SUN #5039
Gene,

Mine is sitting just like hers on the raised base. See photo of flange in my repair album. The flange is screwed directly to the tank from what I remember. Deafeningly no traps or bends.

It is a mystery.

Her bathroom location within the TT is different than mine. She has two outside walls which doesn't help things for winter camping. Also due to her bathroom's location she may have a different tank then mine and/or a different orientation of tank as well as and/or different penetration on tank.

Hopefully someone with a T-1350 may respond with some help. dtstanton has a T-1350.
P3 break control
Old 02-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #14

SUN #4422
bunjin, if it helps, my black tank sits width wise from side to side directly under the bathroom back wall.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #15

SUN #768
Quote:
Gene,
Mine is sitting just like hers on the raised base. See photo of flange in my repair album. ....
Lynn, I missed that the first time so I looked again just now. (BTW, great pictures.)

Quote:
Hopefully someone with a T-1350 may respond with some help. ...
I hope so.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 02-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #16

SUN #4422
this may help give more info. i've drawn a diagram of my toilet sitting on raised platform, and the curved pipe that goes down to the black tank.
i JUST fully unclogged and flushed it out with a plumber and everything, and now just a week later it is clogged again.

the 'problem area' is where i suspect that the pipe decreases in diameter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toilet diagram.jpg (57.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #17

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
oh boy..... if your tank connection pipe is like what you have shown, I can see that being a real issue on a gravity drop low water toilet. Too short a vertical distance and too large and S bend.

I'm wondering... along the way did some one change the entire raised floor panel to shift the toilet to the front?? Meaning original from factory the toilet dump hole was further back allowing a straight drop.

Noralee, can you take a pic looking straight down from above so we can see the relationship of the walls to the back side of the toilet? Your new toilet may just fit with wall clearance, then question now is, what was there when it left Sunline?

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #18

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wonder if that's original tank. May have been replaced with non OEM tank that was somewhat close. Before I repaired mine I was looking at new tanks some were close but non exact. Would have had to do extensive replumbing.
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #19

SUN #4422
to my knowledge there have been no modifications. the tank does look original. when the weather clears, i'll take another look underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post

Noralee, can you take a pic looking straight down from above so we can see the relationship of the walls to the back side of the toilet? Your new toilet may just fit with wall clearance, then question now is, what was there when it left Sunline?
here's the pic from the top. i installed the new toilet over the original flange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toilet top.jpg (3.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 02-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #20

SUN #768
I "stole" a picture of the floorplan of the '83 T1350 from the brochure that Sunline Fan (Jon) uploaded to see where the toilet is located.

I am beginning to think it is a freezing problem compounded by the offset pipe section.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T1350.JPG (35.1 KB, 38 views)

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363