Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

SUN #4890
OBrienP23 is an unknown quantity at this point
The Lights Went Out!

Actually everything did. 1995 T2653 Sunline. I was was working inside it getting it ready for the first trip this year. I had it unplugged and it was just running off battery. Brand new battery, fully charged. I was standing at the fridge testing it since I have never run it in a park where did not have an electric hook-up. I had maybe three or four of the 12V lights on, the stove light on, the fridge on. While I was doing this my wife apparently decided she was cold and flipped the switch on the thermostat for the furnace. About 30 seconds later I heard the furnace kick on and a split second later lost all power. Lights out, fridge off, etc. If I plug it in to the house everything comes back on fine. But unplugged and running off battery it is dead. Any ideas? There is a power panel near the floor outside the bathroom. I checked that. I cycled all the breakers and check all the blade fuses, no luck. I remembered seeing a 30a inline fuse near the battery, checked that and it is not blown. Any ideas if there are other fuses I do not know about hidden somewhere?

On a related topic. In the power panel I had a diagram telling me what all the blade type fuses were for. But the labels for the circuit breakers were blank. From left to right there is a single green, single red, single blue, single blue, and a double blue. Just curious to know what they all do!

Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Well the breakers will not effect the 12 volt stuff it sure sounds like a blown battery fuse or bad connection some where on the 12 volt side. The power demand became pretty high about the time the furnace kicked on the fridge using battery power uses a lot of current and so does the furnace so a marginal connection or the fuse would have been put to the test.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrienP23 View Post
.... Brand new battery, fully charged. ...
Was it a RV/marine deepcycle battery not a regular car battery? Time to use a meter to measure the voltage at the battery and at the fuse panel.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrienP23 View Post
I remembered seeing a 30a inline fuse near the battery, checked that and it is not blown. Any ideas if there are other fuses I do not know about hidden somewhere?
Actually yes, there is one more place. On a 1995 unit there should be box buried most likely up front "inside" the camper. It may even have a little wood cover on it. If you want to track it down, find the 7 wire cable from the truck and follow it all the way until it pops up inside the camper. Above that spot there should be a box. In that box should be a 30 amp fuse or a 30 amp self resetting circuit breaker OR both.

In the system there are 2, generally 30 amp fused circuits on the way to the battery. There is a fuse generally in the truck charge line heading to the battery from the 7 wire cable. This protects the truck if the camper shorts through the 7 wire cable.

Next the power convertor to the battery has either a 30 amp fuse or a self resetting circuit breaker to protect the battery from a short or over current. If that fuse/circuit breaker is not working that can prevent the battery from supplying power back to the inside of the camper.

Like Gene stated, if you have a volt meter, pull the 120 VAC shore power, check to 12 volts at the battery. Then go inside at the power converter and check for 12 volts. If it is not making it to the converter then need to find that fuse box on the of the 7 wire cable and make sure all is OK there.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Actually yes, there is one more place. On a 1995 unit there should be box buried most likely up front "inside" the camper. It may even have a little wood cover on it. If you want to track it down, find the 7 wire cable from the truck and follow it all the way until it pops up inside the camper. Above that spot there should be a box. In that box should be a 30 amp fuse or a 30 amp self resetting circuit breaker OR both.
On a 2653, that should be mounted to the floor, inside the front base cabinet, directly below the sink.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Light fixtures about 25 watts per light fridge heater 175 watts or more furnace blower 85+ add them all up and divide by 12 it does not take long to exceed 30 amps.