Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #1

SUN #8414
GalacticSton is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tank Locations - Black, Grey, Fresh?

I just purchased a Sunline 1983 T1661 and I am getting acquainted with it before hitting the road.

Quick question. I crawled underneath the trailer and saw two tanks. There is a tank all the way in the rear, closest to the bumper. And then there is another tank in front of the axles, closer to the middle.

I think the rear tank is the blackwater tank, ??

The other tank is...grey water?

If so, where is the fresh water tank?

Or I am all I screwed up here? LOL.

I hope to be participating more soon, but I am obsessed with trying to figure out what needs fixing.

Thanks!

MikeG

Old 05-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi MikeG, Welcome to the forum.

Jim-Bev-2363 had a good answer to your question for someone in another thread. Rather than repeat what Jim said, here is a link. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f63/heading-out-this-weekend-17027.html Hope that helps.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #3

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
If your bathroom is in the rear, your black tank is the one in the back by the bumper. It should be right under toilet.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #4

SUN #5443
krazedave is an unknown quantity at this point
Both your black and gray water tanks are under the trailer and both are black in color. Your fresh water tank will be opaque white and if not under your trailer it is inside under something. Your black water tank will be right under your toilet.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #5

SUN #8414
GalacticSton is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the quick helpful replies.

The black tank is trashed. Must have bottomed out a few times, broken up in several places and will need replacing. However, I already have a nice composting toliet, so I will likely seal off the opening to the black tank and go without one.

The grey tank is intact, but the connector going from the grey to the black tank is missing. There is hole where the flange is on the grey side, it appears broken off. I need to crawl under there again and see how bad it is - hopefully it's just the coupling and that can be replaced. I can just drain the grey directly and bypass the missing black.

Before I even attempt to hook up the water, I need to check all the plumbing for leaks. There appears to be minor water damage under the hot water heater, which is no surprise. Also the lavatory faucet appears to leak at the base. I will probably swap that out entirely and put in a different sink and vanity top. I also want to open up some easier access to the fresh water tank, which is concealed below my dinette couch and the lid screwed shut.

I haven't tracked down the water pump yet, but I want to check that also. I will likely just bypass the hot water heater if necessary. I can live without it.

Everything original that I remove will be cleaned and put into dry storage. I figure the bits and parts might come in handy at a swap meet. The original gas stove and fridge were removed long ago by a previous owner. So, I am going to go ahead and lose the gas furnance (I live and camp in south Florida) to free up space and make the entire camper propane free (going with solar eventually). The gas furnace is the only original appliance still remaining.

I am new to owning an RV or camper, so I have a ton of stupid redundant questions, and I have scanned and selectively read all 36 pages of the Repairs forum archive here. Thankfully, my camper was in pretty good shape to start with, and had no major flaws other than the previous owner stripping out most of the propane system.

I am also new to deep cycle batteries and 12-volt systems. I will not be making any long road trips in the camper any time real soon and want to get everything up to speed before hitting the highways.

Thanks!

Tags
holding, tanks, water